Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What'll you be doing when Lion comes out?

• Stick with Snow Leopard

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Upgrade to Lion!

Votes: 93 60.8%
  • Wait until Lion bugs etc are fixed then buy it.

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • Dunno, I'm on the fence...

Votes: 12 7.8%

• Total voters

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
It could be a bug. I filed a bug report too since they asked us to report "anything that breaks productivity" as well.

However, I'm pretty sure it's intentional. If you have an iPhone/iPad or whatever, look at how the icons are arranged in the quick launch bar (aka multitasking bar). They go from left to right by most recently used. If you happened to use the 4-finger gestures in the iPad developer beta, swiping left or right moves you between your apps in the same order that they are displayed in the quick launch bar. I think the idea is for OSX to mimic that behavior. If you only think of spaces as full screen apps and not desktops, you can see the similarity. That also explains why you can't "drag and drop" to rearrange spaces while in mission control. They want to OS to order them automatically.

Hopefully I'm wrong, it's a bug, or Apple gives us the option of "manual control". They can still change anything before the release. Maybe if enough people write in about it, they will.
Let's hope it is a bug. I would hope Apple won't stick to a linear approach to spaces. Since it is only a preview I'm not going to worry much. I'm sure they will take enhancement/feature requests seriously.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
A minor GUI overhaul and a few new features isn't exactly a major OS upgrade IMO.

Tiger and Leopard - They were MAJOR upgrades. Tiger made OSX usable for tons and tons of people (myself included) and Leopard overhauled almost the entire OS. Lion doesn't do anything near that!

I'm late to respond to this, but I would say that Snow Leopard was a much more massive change to Mac OS X than Leopard ever was. Not visually, but the core technologies that changed were monumental.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.