Who's still playing Mario Kart DS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GimmeSlack12, Apr 22, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm still hooked to online play. Although I've noticed a large flux of new players.

It seemed in the beginning (when MKDS was released) that only the gamers were online, and now there are more casual gamers who play. The thing is, is that the competition has been diluted pretty bad.

This has led to winning games that take little effort. The other thing is the almost random nature of winning online. You get help with items when you are behind and until you cross the finish line it is a tossup as to who can win. Unless someone snakes so far ahead that it doesn't matter what items you get.

Who's still playing?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno, I had a game online a week ago and it was still easy to get a 4 player game going.

I'll be playing this all week. House sitting with the router actually in the MIDDLE of the house means I can play anywhere now, not just a fragmented stream of wifi seeping into my bedroom. Now I'm just eagerly awaiting Hunters to be launched in the UK so I can get some more training in. US guys have had much longer then me so yea. They were all Imperialist snipers, seemingly! So I stopped for a bit.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I can usually find a game on the 'worldwide' setting, but I have a tough time with region and rivals. Plus, I'm not that good, so the 'dilution of competition' is due to the arrival of guys like me. I got my DS after Christmas, and haven't logged that much time. It was a bit discouraging to get snaked to death by pros right out of the gate.

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I can find games no problem.

I was just trying to gauge everyone's interest in MKDS.
    Lately it seems since so many people drop that I have to give players a chance of beating me to keep them in the game until the end. But staying out of 1st place usually gives me an item to get me in the lead by the end of the race.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have the game, I have yet to try an online match. I guess I'm just scared of playing online...

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I'm getting my DS sometime next week, so I'll see you all online. Off topic whens metroid prime hunters out in Europe.

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Mario Kart DS still good

Still playing Mario Kart DS every second or third day. In the single player I still have to achieve two stars and online I often find a mix of new and experienced players.

This is a game that ages very well. All the game modes, characters, vehicles and online players keep things interesting after beating the single player game.

8. Moria macrumors regular

I play quite a lot, only on Worldwide though, you don't get a game otherwise. And most of the time you play against people who don't know how to play the game, which sucks (I've got 3 stars :p)

9. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

What did you have to do to get three stars?

10. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've got 2 stars.

You have to beat all of the GP races with 1 to 3 stars to get a star on the game.

Mission stars don't do anything.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've got no stars but a seriously insane win/lose ration. I mean like 200:3. Or something.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm still trying to beat the 150cc class. Tough going. I am also working my way through the missions. I sort of lost a little motivation after I unlocked Waluigi, who I have a strange obsession with.

I've plain online a bit, but I was very disappointed with Nintendo's multiplayer interface. Seemed overly simple and limiting. I have trouble finding games, no matter if I pick worldwide, and any skill level, etc. Would have been nice if they set it up so you had to register on their website and let you pick if you wanted a simpe/"safe" interface or a "full" one. I would have been happy to provide some sort of proof of age (via a credit card, etc - I trust Nintendo not to steal my identity) in order to "unlock" a nicer multiplayer interface.

13. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Just take the WiFi for what it is. It's free, and it works great. I don't know why people complain about not finding games online, I find games (as well as many others) with virtually zero problem.

This is the very first WiFi game anyway. And believe me I'd rather Nintendo put their efforts into any Revolution WiFi technologies than the DS.

14. turbodub macrumors regular

I still play it every once in a while, but not very often. Whenever I play, it seems like it's impossible to find 3 other players. It's awesome when you get a full game going though!

15. scott182 macrumors member

16. astral macrumors member

Whenever I play online I seem to be put with a-holes that choose the same track multiple races in a row. If not that, then someone usually drops out during the first race.

Also, in a three man race, there is no place for the blue shell, but they seem to give it to the third place guy anyways. Frustrating.

Tetris wifi is always fun though

17. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

18. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i haven't played Mario Kart DS lately for 3 reasons:

1) i really don't like the "snaking" that some people do which makes it not very fun at all
    2) Metroid Prime Hunters
    3) my girlfriend has pretty much taken over my DS with Nintendogs (which also means no more #2)

so i don't see myself playing very much until the DS lite comes out and i can get one (i've heard may which is just around the corner).

19. turbopants macrumors regular

I don't play Mario Kart DS nearly as much as I did a few months ago (which was a lot!) , but I still play it online every once in a while. I've been into Tetris DS and Brain Age recently, which are both very good.

20. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I tried online play for the first time a week or so ago. I plan on a little more.

Since we're all about quality competition, I sheepishly have to ask:

How does one get the turbo boost off the starting line? I know the timing for the other systems, but not for the DS.

21. ajunger macrumors newbie

i don't know how to play my DS using wi-fi. can anyone do it? or do you need to buy extra hardware or something?

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

http://www.nintendowifi.com/

It varies from racer I think, but you need to hold the gas before the start (duh!). With Mario, I usually press just after the 2 shows up

23. Moria macrumors regular

To get a boost at the start, hold down A when the 2 is at it's biggest (just before it shrinks and disappears).

Also, Metroid Hunters has a much better online system than Mario Kart. It lets you choose what type of game you want to play and then choose the 'server' you want to play in. The WiFi option in MK was only added in last-minute and they didn't really know what to do.

24. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Anyone can play using the WiFi. But only about 6 games use the WiFi service at the moment. It is free.

The DS has a wireless antennae built-in. With Mario Kart you just go to Nintendo WFS on the load screen and go to setup. You can search the forums for the threads that go over getting your DS online through your Mac or something else.