Who's up to interesting things this summer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by tpjunkie, Jun 26, 2003.

1. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Well, I'm currently at work, but have some spare time on my hands as I'm waiting for a male-to-female 9 pin serial adatptor (stupid pc :p ), so I was curious as to what interesting things other memebrs are doing this summer.

My job is actually summer research (although in my case its not exactly research) in the physics department of my college. I'm using the department's Intensified Pentamax camera system (a really really sensitive, really, really expensive digital camera) to capture images of quantum interference of individual photons in the double slit experiment, using a laser run through polarizers to a very low insensity (it cannot be seen when an object is placed in the beams path), then run through neutral density filters until the laser beam is down to a measurable rate of photons which then produce an interference pattern on the CCD of the camera. The interesting thing is that the interference continues to occur even when the rate of photons has droppped to one photon moving through the double slit at a time; under classical physics the photon should continue straight after passing through the slit, as there is nothing for it to interfere with. However, due to the laws of quantum machanics, this does not occur, and a diffraction pater will appear if you let the images accumulate.

2. job macrumors 68040

job

i'm lifeguarding.

applying to colleges.

working on my beetle.

nothing as serious as what you're up to. ;)

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

about to finish summer school.

I'm gunna sleep a lot.

I'm gunna work on my starcraft map a lot.

I'll probably go bowling with some friends.

I'm driving with my family to the west coast (ima try to get to Capurtino ;)) to look for colleges for me and my sister.

that's about it.

scem0

4. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Although I am getting paid for this, I envy you guys for being home...there's just about no one up here, the people that are up here I either don't know or can't stand, and theres nothing to do in schenectady new york.

except for underaged drinking, and even that's pretty much out of the picture with no one to drink with...

5. job macrumors 68040

job

what, no fine looking ladies to help you out with all those light rays and quantum mechanics? ;) :p

6. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i am applying for a job, but no one wants to hire under-16-year-olds.

8. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Just wait until everyone you ask requires prior experience...thats always fun. if everyone requires exeperience, how the hell do you get hired in the first place?

9. pEZ macrumors 6502

Ha. No one wants to hire 19-year-old's either.

10. firewizard macrumors member

yeah my summers look pretty busy
    especially weekends
    like fri, sat, and sun there is 4 items goin on each day about the same time..aprox,
    and during the weekdays, well its to the beach and pools, and parties at night
    lots to do here in southern cali
    the only time i get to check these forums is when i am at work (4 hrs a day)

and it didnt seem so hard for me to get a job, im 17 and i got a part time job payin 12 an hr, editing video, and a studio engineer.

but yeah thats what my sumemr look like....BUSY
    ill prolly get 4-6 hrs of sleep every night, but hey its summer time to go all out and forget about everyhting else!!!:D

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I just went to my colleges orientation and during my free time i'm working about 3 jobs all in the local country club. On the weekends i work in a banquet hall at weddings mostly serving tables...during the week I wait tables at the resturant in the cc and sometimes i work in the shop by the pool at the cc. I'm there alot around 40 hours a week at 8.75/hr....its nice to have so much opportunity. I'm working 5 or 6 days a week but still partying as much as possible and posting here.

to answer the query about experience: I worked at a quiznos when i was 15...for pretty low pay compared to what I do now. i think it was 5.25 or 5.50...they didn't want expereince if anything they wanted just a hard worker who listened and was flexible with his/her hours. in my experience tho no matter what an employer says its not what youv'e done or what you know its who you know, hopefully you can find a friend to hookup you up with something....its the easiest and fastiest way to experience...unless you want to work fastfood most mcdonalds hire almost constantly

Overall its a productive summer in terms of cash but nothing mentally challenging.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Summer

Im gonna work till August. Im gonna be doing football till end of July, and then start up August 22nd.

Im leaving for Carpenteria August 1st, its right next to Santa Barbara (GOD YES). My sister will have a house in IsleVista (those of you that know where that is), so there will be some pretty sweet parties.

Thats all.

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I say that...alll the time :p

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Summer

noiiiiiice!

you gonna do some boozing and womanizing dawg?!?!? ;)

15. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, I'm teaching saxophone lessons, and because I don't have many expenses, it gets me by.

P-Worm

16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Summer

I hope so.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i screw around all day, sleep in until 11-1 in the afternoon. ah summer is great. i only go to work if my mom calls me and tells me to come. mainly been playing battlefield, some zelda, and playing with panther. my girlfiend needs to come back home, its getting boring.

iJon

18. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do you have a car? Weekend road trips, do it while you can.

And how far is home?

D

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: Summer

awesome!!! no better way for a 14 or 15 year old to spend his summer!

gotta get ready for the frats duuuude!

21. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I do have my car. And home is only about a 3 hour drive away. But thats about half a tank of gas (13 bucks at current prices) each way, which I would have to pay for. I have about 30 dollars left right now, I'm praying my first paycheck comes before I run out of food at my apartment (I thought they provided 1 meal per day on the meal plan, but I was wrong. Thus, I have moved up in the world to become a "pro ramen eater") There are some decent destinations in the area (I'm in the Adirondacks, on the Hudson River...specifically right where the hudson meets the mohawk river...in beautiful :)rolleyes: ) Schenectady. So basically I end up sitting around every night, watching Cheers, then Futurama and Family Guy

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm headed to Texas next week. I plan on a round of golf, Six Flags water park, and hanging out with the family. Other than that, I am going to be hanging out a home, studying for the A+ exam.

23. Angelus macrumors 6502

I'm working in the local hospital as a porter. I get a few days off here and there and in those situations i end up sleeping till about 1pm and reliving my childhood by watching repeats of macguyver on bravo. I may go to england for a weekend and visit the climbing wall in leeds.

24. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie