Who's used the "Mac OS X Setup Assistant"? How was it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edesignuk, Sep 22, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just wondered if anyone has used the "Mac OS X Setup Assistant" to transfer everything over from their old Mac to a new one? How did you find it? Did you find things got messed up, apps didn't work on the new machine? Or was it perfect!?

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

That setup assistant thing scares the bejesus outta me. I didn't use it when I upgraded from G4 to G5. I installed the few programs I use on the G5 then did TDM on the G4 to transfer the files over. Everything must be fresh for me.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So no one that's bought a new mac has ever used this then right? :eek: :confused:

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, I'll bite...

I've used it once. It worked fine. I don't remember much about it but ONE thing.. IT IS WAYYYY better than the files and settings transfer on Windows. One time I had to do that for someone and it went in fine one way, and came out screwed. But we should all know that on a Mac, it's perfect.

May I ask WHY, though?

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

'Cause when I get my new iMac I wanna know if I sholuld use the transfer wizard thing, or just do manual copies.

7. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, you better find the quickest way possible because you'll be dying to play with that new iMac!!!

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I did not know that we had a setup assistant :) . I just manually transferred all the stuff.

9. numark macrumors member

I used the Setup Assistant for transferring from my iBook to my G5. It worked quite well application-wise. The home directory stuff had a few weird permissions problems, but once i got reacquainted with chmod and chown, everything worked out fine :) Much easier than trying to dig out all of my CDs that I'd shoved into my desk drawer.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I won't get to experience that Setup Assistant thingy until I get my first G5- (or later) based Mac, which is not likely to happen until 2007 because I have AppleCare for my iLamp (see my web site for specs) which won't expire until then, and I feel obligated not to replace my iMac until the AppleCare runs out.

11. superduperjacob macrumors member

I have not tried it firsthand, but my uncle says it worked perfectly for him.
    Sidenote: What sounds really convenient is that the assistant transfers EVERYTHING from the old computer, including the actual applications along with registration information for pro apps like Creative Suite so that you do not have to install software again.

12. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

i tried it at work using a G4 800 with 2x 40gig hard drives, going across to a G5 2gig, 160gig hard drive, it took like 1 hour via firewire and it quit right at the end like a minute to go, dont know why? it didn't work properly with the applications wouldn't run (abobe cs suite) and none of the documents folder came accross (30gig), it was easier to just copy it across after doing a re-install to get rid off all the OS9 stuff it took across.

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I used it to move the stuff from the ol' Dual 800 to the new Dual 2.5...worked like a charm...excellent idea executed well by Apple. There were a couple of apps I had to re-install or re-authorize but that was to be expected (rtfm) but other than that, which was expected, it was smoooooth....oh yeah!

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hummm....perfect for Duff-man, but less that perfect for neilrobinson....what to do, what to do...

15. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Just give it a go!

If Setup Assistant works the way I understand it to, nothing will be affected or deleted from your old system. If something goes seriously wrong you can just do it again the "old fashioned" way. You'll only lose an hour or less of your time trying.

16. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

i agree... give it a go, you cant loose to much, i think it was becuase the home folder on the old mac was so large 30gig+ mostly tiffs and indesign / quark docos so lots of files... it think it was around the 500000 just in the documents folder.

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My home folder should be fairly small I think, I keep my itunes library on my 2003 Server because it gets backed up[ every night, so that's quite a big lump gone right there.

edit: ok, I'm wrong, I got 33GB of crap in there, gotta have a tidy up I think!

18. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i'd say, just do it. but to be sure, backup your files.

19. ezkimo macrumors regular

I used it...It was not a happy experience...

Most of the files transfered, then, with a few minutes remaining, it had some sort of error and I had to restart. No, I didnt touch it. Upon restart it just logged me in (No setup assistant). Not everything got transfered and the permissions were screwed. Needless to say, it was not the best. I still come across things 2 months later that have not had the permissions corrected.