Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malpasar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
London
I'm looking to purchase a new laptop and the rMB is currently the frontrunner. I'm moving from an old iMac (mid 2007 2.4Ghz 4GB ram) mainly due to lack of space and its pretty sluggish now! Its mainly going to be used for browsing, a bit of word/excel and also Lightroom for storing and a bit of editing. I currently use Aperture but will have to make the switch to Lightroom at some point.

I think the rMB will be able to handle most of my needs but i'm a bit concerned about the performance using Lightroom. I've had a play in store and for general use it doesnt seem any less responsive than the 13" rMBP but i havn't been able to use Lightroom to see how it handles importing and editing. I dont shoot in RAW at the moment so the pictures aren't particularly large, but may change to RAW in the future.

I'd love to hear from people using Lightroom on their rMB to see how its performing in real life. I'll probably end up getting the base 1.1 model as i can't really justify the extra expense for a 1.2 or 1.3 (unless there is a big difference in performance which i dont believe there is). So, is anybody using Lightroom on the base model?

Thanks

rajivhifi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
I have the base model and use Lightroom to import and edit RAW files. I'm not a power user and just do some basic filters etc but so far I have not noticed any issues using the rMB.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I can't comment on RAW images as I don't use them, but everything else works great on mine. I have the base model, and import and export, as well as editing, doesn't seem much different if any from my 2012 rMBP 15"

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I did a lot of Lightroom work when I had a 1.2gHz rMB. It's generally fine with a couple of footnotes.

First, for me, the screen was a little small. I set the left side panel to appear on hover, which helped some.

Second, I found the rMB was very adequate for editing, but large scale operations were about 20% behind my late 2013 2.4gHz rMBP (i.e., generating 200 20mp 100% previews or exporting 200 20mp raw files as jpgs took 25 minutes on the rMBP and 35 minutes on the rMB. I don't view that as a very meaningful difference, since I wouldn't sit around while either machine was doing that.

Having a retina screen in a machine that size was very nice. The TN panel in the MBAs just isn't suitable for generating good sRGB jpgs.

TLDR: very do-able, with some limitations.

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
I did a lot of Lightroom work when I had a 1.2gHz rMB. It's generally fine with a couple of footnotes.

First, for me, the screen was a little small. I set the left side panel to appear on hover, which helped some.

Second, I found the rMB was very adequate for editing, but large scale operations were about 20% behind my late 2013 2.4gHz rMBP (i.e., generating 200 20mp 100% previews or exporting 200 20mp raw files as jpgs took 25 minutes on the rMBP and 35 minutes on the rMB. I don't view that as a very meaningful difference, since I wouldn't sit around while either machine was doing that.

Having a retina screen in a machine that size was very nice. The TN panel in the MBAs just isn't suitable for generating good sRGB jpgs.

TLDR: very do-able, with some limitations.

So I noticed you mentioned when you had a rMB. Does that mean you got rid of it for something else. I to am considering a rMB for a secondary travel machine for mobile editing and browsing.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
So I noticed you mentioned when you had a rMB. Does that mean you got rid of it for something else. I to am considering a rMB for a secondary travel machine for mobile editing and browsing.

I went back to a rMBP, mostly because the keyboard was driving me crazy, not because of any performance issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.