Who's Voting Today?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Sep 12, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I can't (Independent), but who has elections and is voting today?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Done, although the voting machines weren't working (someone forgot to distribute the keys), so I had to use a paper ballot.

It'd be a pretty amazing thing if this country started taking elections seriously (holiday, working vote-counting system).

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm voting. I encourage all of the MR community to move out to the Laurel/College Park area of MD for November...

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nothing to vote for in STL today...but that's weird that you can't vote since you're an independent. When I voted in the STL primary in August, they let me choose which ballot I want. I could vote Democrat one year and Republicant the next if I wanted to.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

nothing to vote for here, though we also use a closed primary system so as an Independent I couldn't vote anyway.

you know, my precinct in the 2004 general used the famed "butterfly ballot." To be quite honest, it was confusing as hell. I'm inclined to think that ballot was designed to force you to vote either straight Republican or straight Democratic, since that was the only option that made any sense.

does anyone know:
    who decides which ballot to use? Is that a state thing, a county thing, or a precinct thing?

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'd vote for your right-wing ass if I lived in Laurel. :p :D

7. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I have 2 degrees in engineering yet I still can't wrap my head around the American electoral system. :confused:

So much simpler up here.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing here today. We already picked our chumps. I mean chimps. I mean candidates.

9. vniow macrumors G4

There was voting today? Heh, just shows you how alienated I've been from current events. :eek:

10. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

it's easy, really. You just vote against the biggest idiot on the ticket, thus ensuring that he will win. Nothing to it. :D

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I would prefer to use a paper ballot over a voting machine any day.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

during the last election (2004) they showed a map about where which ballots are used different ballots and it looked like a Pollock dripping picture in some places .. so i guess it's counties mostly

kinda funny how the US hasn't got a fedaral law regulating ballots yet.. after the 2000 debacle i would have put that on top of my priority list regardless of party

for the love of god: in some regions you are required to vote with a pencil (!!!)

here it is all legislated how ballots have to look like through federal laws: the only thing which can be different are candidates and placement on the ballot (which is determined by last time results) in the different states if it's a federal election or different between counties if it's a state election

at president elections the ballots are the same across the whole country .. like it should be

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I could cast an early vote, but I'd rather wait 'till November. I'm a little anxious to see the outcome of the Texas governor race. :)

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't think we had anything here. If we did, I haven't even updated my address yet. I should probably go do that so I can vote Arnold out and that other douchebag in come Nov. That, and a couple of propositions. If I was supposed to do something today, I guess I didn't. :eek: