Who's waiting for BTO Powerbook in Australia?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aus_dave, Aug 26, 2004.

1. aus_dave macrumors regular

I have had a BTO Powerbook on order for around 6 weeks. It's the 15" 1.33 model with the 80 gig HD upgrade. I ordered through an online retailer in Australia (not Apple).

I am curious to find out if anyone else is waiting on BTO Powerbooks. It looks like I won't receive it for at least another week or two, which needless to say I am not happy about :mad:.

The story I'm getting is that there are limited quantities of Powerbooks being built in Singapore and the US/Europe edu markets are getting priority.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I have read other sources that say that the edu. market here in the U.S. is eating up a lot of supply for apple at this point, so i beleive there is some merit to that story. Nonetheless, I would still be a little hacked off if I were in your position. You ordered well before the back to school season. Good luck.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I had some pain getting my machine and then its replacement when the first one was a dud.

If its not a stock model it seems to add weeks to the shipping for PBs.

Furthermore Apple Australia its rumored (and I have been told directly from one of there phone sales people recently when buying an airport) favour stock to their direct purchases over resellers.

I wrote to Apple complaining about it and got a letter not saying much. Wouldn't hurt to write and remind them of the failure of their own online store time frames which got to 2-3 weeks not 4-6 weeks which is the relality.

4. aus_dave thread starter macrumors regular

I have heard something similar - NextByte get preferential treatment as they order in bulk etc.

That's all well and good but the smaller resellers in Australia will eventually get squeezed out as people won't use them due to delays with supply. If Apple Australia won't support them properly then why bother giving them an account in the first place?

All I wanted was a bigger HD - in desperation I told my supplier to send me the Powerbook and HD and I would do the upgrade myself :rolleyes:.

That's a good idea about a letter aswitcher; I'll be writing one myself once the machine arrives.

5. win_convert macrumors member

I am waiting for one to arrive also.

I haven't actually ordered one, but just on the off chance her majesty's royal australian postal service gets it wrong........

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The fact that US customers get priority is absolutely bull****. How is a US customer more important than any other customer? :mad:

7. vita_kk macrumors newbie

vita_kk

I placed my BTO PB order on Tuesday, the 24th. According to FedEx tracking system, the PB has been shipped from Shanghai. Looks like I'm getting it on the upcoming Tuesday, the 31st.
    Being a Canadian customer, I found one week delivery time is reasonable. ;)

8. aus_dave thread starter macrumors regular

There's no need to rub it in :rolleyes:.

I'm about ready to do without the HD upgrade, if my order was the stock model I allegedly would have got it within 48 hours (allegedly because most of what I read about Apple Australia's delivery standards is BS :mad: ).

9. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Six weeks, huh? Beat my record. I waited for 3 weeks for my BTO 17" PB, only to discover that Apple messed up my BTO spec's: I had been waiting for the wrong thing! What killed me is that what I was waiting for seemed to be just a stock 17" PB. I just cancelled. Customer service was not particlarly helpful either.

10. vita_kk macrumors newbie

vita_kk

Don't get me wrong, my intention was not to rub the wrong way. :confused:
    I just want to give an idea on how shipping to Canada is like, in response to an earlier post indiciating that only US customers will get the priority. ;)

Anyway, can you call up Apple and complain? In this way either they can speed up your shipment or they will give you some free stuff as a compensation. Just a 2 cents...

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Stick with your BTO HDD option. That faster HD will provide much better improvement for years, and will make a huge difference in resale value if you ever wanted to sell it. Just put up with it for a few more weeks......well, unless you actually need it now.

12. aus_dave thread starter macrumors regular

Don't take offence - I'm a bit touchy when poor customer service is the problem :eek:.

Well it's through a reseller so Apple won't care too much. It will be worth a phone call or letter once it arrives though - bring on the free stuff I say :D.

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Ask Steve...guess US share listing is part of it.