Who's waiting on the next MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maximus434, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. Maximus434 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2006
    #1
    Just wondering if there are any other people here who really want a Macbook Pro but are waiting impatiently for the next iteration?

    I was SO close to ordering one today but I had to restrain myself since next tuesday is only a week away. It cannot come soon enough!!

    Hopefully the line will be updated then. Anyone else in the same predicament?
     
  2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

    Foxglove9

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #2
    If I wanted one, unless I absolutely needed it right now, would wait till the next update.
     
  3. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    #3
    I'm waiting as well, but not entirely for Merom, I would like to see an updated GPU in the next MBP. I think theres as much of a chance it'll come tomorrow as it will come one week and a day from now. In fact, I'd say tomorrow is more likely.
     
  4. displaced macrumors 65816

    displaced

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2003
    Location:
    Gravesend, United Kingdom
    #4
    Apparently, the Core 2 Duo processor won't really reach its full potential until it's paired with Intel's Santa Rosa supporting chipset. So I'm not thinking of eBay'ing my Yonah MBP just yet ;)

    [edit] ... and from some of the reviews of the C2D processor, people aren't exactly overwhelmed when comparing to the Yonah. More info about the Santa Rosa architecture was in this MacRumors article.
     
  5. Sammis89 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 30, 2005
    #5
    Im hoping and praying that in the next mpb we're gonna see some price drops... I dont have the extra cash for it, but its what i've been waiting to get, so thats all i wanna see!!!
     
  6. btgordon macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #6
    I'm waiting for it. My laptop just died, so I cannot get my hands on it soon enough. I am with everyone else in hoping that it will come out in the next 2 weeks.
     
  7. poppe macrumors 68020

    poppe

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location:
    Woodland Hills
    #7
    Very true but most memrom waiters like myself already knew that. I am waiting for the fact that I dont need a Laptop (Apple: Notebook) till sept 25. Another thing is if they can work to keep the MBP cool they could get the 2.33 ghz in which would help make an even bigger difference compared to the yonah 2.16 ghz.

    I'd imagine they'd stay the same pricing with the 2799 MBP having BTO 2.33 ghz option.
     
  8. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #8
    displaced - We will see very little improvement as a result of the Santa Rosa chipset: going from 667 MHz to 800 MHz will translate to very little improvement. My sense is that the main advantages may be related to enhancements: graphics card, magnetic latch, fast swap hard drive, etc.
     
  9. btgordon macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #9
    I totally agree. The speed increase (especially if it goes to 2.33) will be significant, but it will be even better if we get a new GPU and some other goodies, like the macbook has.
     
  10. displaced macrumors 65816

    displaced

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2003
    Location:
    Gravesend, United Kingdom
    #10
    Good point -- I misspoke a bit there. My perspective is that the speed increase alone with the CD2 isn't enough for me to want to ditch my MBP. However, coupled with all the other advantages of the next Intel mobile platform, I might consider selling my machine.

    It's quite a luxury (and not one I'm used to!) to be able to pick the next machine based on new features rather than simply raw power. This machine is plenty quick enough for me, but Santa Rosa offers some nice improvements which the Merom alone does not.
     
  11. poppe macrumors 68020

    poppe

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location:
    Woodland Hills
    #11
    Hopefully we'll see a redesign of the MBP for santa rosa. Sadly it sounds like wireless "N" is not going to make it in to santa rosa.
     
  12. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

    DJMastaWes

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec
    #12
    I'm waiting for Merom. I'm crosses my fingers for tomorrow.
     
  13. vega07 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
  14. catchbar macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2005
    #14
    santa rosa

    Do we know when Santa Rosa is going to be released? What are some of the special new features that it will have?
     
  15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #15
    I think you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment. Merom won't be a huge improvement over Yonah. It's a stopgap until next year. Then there should be some more substantial upgrades (I think)
     
  16. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #16
    most of us don't need a laptop, we only want a laptop. if we needed one, we would not be sitting here telling everyone we are hoping for a new merom mbp tomorrow. it's about having the latest and greatest. i am sure most of the people who are waiting, including myself, can honestly say we'd rather wait just a little bit longer to have something better than what is currently out now. i know i'd feel pretty crappy if i bought something and it was updated one week later with something newer. however, if laptops were being updated every single week, who cares? i'd buy whatever was currently beings sold and be done with it. but that is not the case. it's been roughly 9 months since the mbp introduction back in january. if i can wait just a little bit longer (1-2-3 weeks) to get something cutting edge, then i am going to wait.

    kthx.
     
  17. Doug3847 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #17
    I am just waiting for somone to buy me one. I am a really nice person:D :D . Anyone?
     
  18. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

    Clydefrog

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Location:
    Pittsburgh,PA
    #18

    honestly i think most of us, like the tad bit of more speed with Merom, but most of us just want to wait to get the new technology, no use in buying an older chip with you wait and get a newer one. Plus, something good always comes from waiting. Sad but true the most exciting part about buying somthing new is justing waiting for it to come, and once you have it, its just meh.
     
  19. meanmusic macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #19
    I'm waiting also. With all this talk of iPod and iMac related rumours on Sept. 12th it leads me to think a Merom upgrade is likely for tuesday. Every major manufacturer already announced Merom laptops as shipping soon. Here's hoping for Merom MBPs tomorrow.
     
  20. Reaver macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    #20
    I was planning on buying one last month but then I found out that in as little as a months time I could get a better chip and 64 bit I just told myself to wait that it cant hurt anymore than it does right now. plus if your going to buy a computer and you have a update just wait and buy the update thats just my view.
     
  21. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #21
    Bought my 2.16 2 weeks ago. I'm very happy with it. No regrets.
     
  22. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

    Mac Rules

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #22
    I've read various articles on Core 2, and gotta say the reception is mixed. They are as fast and faster than Yonah for roughly the same power consumption, however the performance gains are not so visible in Merom.
    Conroe apparently has a very visible performance increase so the next iMac will be even better than it is now.
    I agree with an earlier poster that when Santa Rosa comes out, then with the addded FSB we will finally see Merom's true performance, so no rush to eBay those Yonah MBP's yet eh?

    Cheers
     
  23. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #23
    Well I guess you could count me as waiting for the next MBP because due to money, I can't afford one until at least October 1. If the next rev doesn't come before I get enough money to get one then oh well I'll get the current rev and have the 14 day grace period to return it and get the new one (hopefully the restocking fee won't kill that idea). I am in that small percentage of people that could use the extra processing power and 64 bit. For video encoding it's always been the more processing power you have the better off you'll be. Video encoding has been VERY painful on my 1.33GHz 14" iBook so either rev will be a tremendous upgrade.
     
  24. dongmin macrumors 68000

    dongmin

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2002
    #24
    Ha ha ha ha, that's exactly the same thing people were saying about Yonah. I don't see what the big deal is over Santa Rosa. The NAND flash technology could be cool but who knows how and when that will be implemented.

    The G4-to-Intel transition brought a significant change to the architecture but the design and features of the PowerBook/MBP stayed pretty much the same, while the iBook/MB got a major overhaul. I'm hoping the Yonah-to-Merom transition will bring major changes in the non-architectural stuff, like the magnetic latch, easy access to HD and RAM, etc. that the MacBooks got.
     
  25. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #25
    The added fsb speed increase is very minor - 667 MHz to 800 MHz - that will translate to an observed performance increase of...............not much. Long rendering projects will be the greatest recepient of that increase.
     

Share This Page