Who's your favourite artist?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mpw, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Inspired by another thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1383700#post1383700

Hmm some interetsing thoughts.

The inspiration I would guess is the enjoyment of your achievement, either as you view it or as you view how others view it.
    Why do people need art? Simply because of how it makes you feel, a bit like being drawn to a particular person when you see them for a fleeting second across a room. I doubt that all the fortunes paid for some pieces are paid out purely for this reason however.
    The value of original 'live' art has got to be down to, a feeling again, of interaction.

I have very little artistic talent but have been lucky enough to see some great works in Italy and Paris mainly, but also every day. I saw the Mona Lisa at the Louvre and I can't say that it really moved me but then I saw an oil on canvas the other day in a coffee shop that blew me away and the artist was an 11year old school kid. I'm sure if asked he wouldn't even think of himself as an 'artist' but if I had to pay money for one of the paintings I know which it would be.

Who's your favourite artist? While I don't devalue their art or talent I'd like to avoid music, dance and poetry and concentrate on physical art like paintings, photography, sculpture and buildings and how they make you feel. I'm not looking for high-brow anaysis of a pile of bricks or anything.

One of my favourites would be the watercolours of Ian Rolls; http://www.ianrolls.co.uk/code/ianrolls.pl?000001
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    My favorite artist:

Napoleon Dynamite, probably the best that I know of! ;)

Seriously though I admire the modern artists in film like Tarantino (though maybe a little to much gore for me) and M. Night though The Village is by far my least favorite.
  3. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Agreed that their are some great looking films and some great artist working in film but I think the film industy is often too wound up in the money side of the business to allow individuals to truely create freely. Same goes for architects, there are some real artists in the field but all too often they can't get a free reign to express themselves either because of money constraints or planning issues etc.
  4. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2004
    Jesus...there are too many to name.

Writing - Tony Kushner and Sam Shepard for playwrights. Very different, I know, but both great. Fiction goes to Tom Robbins hands down. Screenwriting is Charlie Kaufman and P.T. Anderson and Wes Anderson. Haven't made up my mind about those yet. Poetry is Mark Doty, I think.

Music - I'm too lazy to go through every genre so I'll just name the top few. Rufus Wainwright, James Taylor, BB King, and Bob Marley.

Visual Art - Comic Books (yes, a real form of art) Neil Gaiman and Jhonen Vasquez. HR Giger, Boris Vellejo.

I think that's about it. I don't know sculptors or anything.
  5. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
    I would say Stanley Kubrick. Thats all I can think of of the top of my head.
  6. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    All the previous posts are great. For film I would have to say I have always loved Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Fear & Loathing, etc. In the graphic novel realm my faves are Chris Ware and Charles Burns. Ware is a genius of the form - probably the best living craftsman in the comics field today. If you haven't read his magnum opus "Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth,' do yourself a favor and run, don't walk to the nearest store or e-tailer and pick up a copy. DO IT NOW!

Jimmy Corrigan - The Smartest Kid on Earth

Chris Ware's Fantagraphics Website
  7. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    it's hard to narrow this down....

I like so many artists, it is hard to say who is my favorite, but right now I am absolutely amazed by Nancy Wride

Seeing her pieces up close and in person is simply awe inspiring.
  8. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    In terms of visual art, I've written a huge amount on the subject on my web site. For those who don't want to wade through it all:

PAINTINGS: Bob Rankin, Wolf Kahn, Thomas McNickle, Richard Stenhouse, Willard Bond, Arless Day, Paul Jenkins, Robert Cottingham

GLASS: Lino Tagliapietra, Dale Chihuly, David Huchthausen, Josh Simpson, Toots Zynsky, Harvey Littleton, Jon Kuhn, Toshio Iezumi (among many others)
  9. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    Oh wow...I could go on forever.

Some of my most favorite are the more common and well known:

-Davinci (I enjoy him more as a scientist)
    -Van Gogh

and God himself - whatever you feel God to be, whether a supernatural being, mother nature, scientific coincedence, or what have you - the governing laws that create reality as we know it is the best artist of all. And if those governing laws have a creator, then it is that which is the best artist.
  10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Pasadena, Ca
    favorite artist, my brother Zoro Rodriguez, current Art Center College of Design student in Pasadena,Ca, but he does some works better than his teachers. :)
  11. Lau Guest

Again, there's so many but here are a few:

Wolfgang Tillmans
    Anthony Burrill
    Geoff McFetridge

Attached Files:

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    If I have to chose only one, it has to be Salvador Dalí... many of his paintings are just awsome...

My avatar is a detail from the painting I currently use as my desktop:

Attached Files:

13. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    I guess it would probably be one of the Baroque architects; Da Vinci's reinterpretations are particularly appealing, Hawksmoor and Talman also rank highly.
    Having said that, Inigo Jones' Tuscan work at Covent Garden always hits me... I usually end up spending much time in the bar opposite St. Paul's just gazing at the beauty of the thing.

It's quite tragic, but meh. I suppose I'll give Sir Misha Black a mention, too.
  14. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    R Crumb

I like the art, the artist and the man.

I highly recommend the 1987 film Crumb (produced by David Lynch). Watching his art come alive is pretty slick. And his family... All I can say is... Wow!

Attached Files:

15. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    Nice thread with lots of good links

Realised the greatness (and existence) of Charlie Kaufman when I saw "Adaptation" a few months ago. He really isn't your average hollywood writer. All his movies/scripts are something special imho.

Not sure if Ware is THE best living... but he's really up there and I definately support your recommendation. It's a pretty unique album. But there's a lot of good French artist around in that field, perhaps my favorite atm is Boucq - no one draws meat like him.

Here's some of my favourites:

Arty arts:Marcel Duchamp. He's wondefull, never let himself be bound by some -ism, but just created amazing paintings, surreal sculptures and installations and absurd happenings and concepts. So much of what is made now seem to be digestions (if you can say that) of his work.

Litterature: Karen Blixen aka Isak Dinesen. Famous for her autobiography "Out of Africa" - because it was made into a hollywood movie. But her debut "Seven Gothic Tales" is my absolutely favorite book, containing 7 long shortstorys. GET IT AND READ IT. Great stories within stories within stories.

16. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    As far as visual art, I love photorealism, but I don't know any artists off the top-o-my head. I also like Hockney, MC Escher, Michelangelo, Peter Max, and Salvador Dali. OOh, I can't forget Diego Rivera.
  17. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    My favorite artist is Frank Lloyd Wright (if you consider him an artist, i do). His work is just genius. Even though his houses were made decades ago many of them still look modern. His attension to detail additionally is brilliant. He designed the house, the furniture, and the gardens and they look amazing.
  18. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    Well hey now, for what ever reason I did not expect a name like Diego Rivera to show up on the fav artist list. Lets not forget his talented other half Frida Kahlo. My whole house is decorated with their works. And if you've got a bit of an interest for Mexican Contemporary, look up Simón Silva. Good stuff.
  19. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2004
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Sticking to visual art (which I assumed was the focus of this thread, not that I don't consider film makers, song writers, poets, etc. to be artists)... some of my favorites include Gustav Klimt, Picasso and Van Gough... Also Monet and all of the French impressionists. I've also always been very fond of the surrealists - especially Rene Magrite, and of course Dali. My walls are actually adorned mostly with African-American, jazz-inspired art (Joseph Holston, for example - I don't even know if he's terribly well-known, but I stumbled upon his work and loved it. I'm also intrigued with some of the pop-art, avante garde stuff from the 60s - Warhol, mostly... and Jean-Micheal Basquiat also, although I admit I don't know his art very well but learned about him from the film Basquiat... a very good flick most people probably haven't seen.

And there you have it, my art ramble. Probably of little interest to anyone, but it's not often in day-to-day life that one gets to discuss one's preferences in art... I feel like a lot of people nowadays only concern themselves with how well a certain piece of "art" coordinates with their Art Van sofa and recliner, and are not interested in the artistic quality of what they adorn their walls with. (Heck, you can probably buy framed wall art at Wall Mart these days, what more do you need, right?) :D
  20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    • Paula Rego
    • Bridget Riley
    • Kandinsky
    • Miro
  21. Cloatus macrumors member

Apr 28, 2004
    New York City

Attached Files:

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'd echo that.

And I also was bowled over by the Caravaggio at the National Gallery.

Essentially, my tastes are too broad to be conveniently pigeon-holed.
  23. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I love Masamune Shirow (Ghost In The Shell, AppleSeed, Galhound, many more), Range Murata (Last Exile), for Manga work.
    Joe MAdueriera for American comics.

Bands: KMFDM, Rammstein, Yoko Kanno, The Exploited, The Clash, and too many more.

Books: Neil Gaimen and Terry Pratchet (funny enough, Good Omens was written by both of these men and is one of my fav's), Chuck Palhuniuk (or however you spell it) of Fight Club and Survivor.
  24. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2002
    Favorite painters; Francis Bacon and Hieronymus Bosch
    Favorite photographers; Hans Bellmer and Joel Peter Witkin
    Favorite sculptors; Lousie Bourgeois and Auguste Rodin
  25. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    Uggghh! I must say I loved the artwork in this book- simply amazing. However, anybody who thought Art Spiegelman's 'Maus' (shoutout!!!!- Art is the man) was depressing, just wait until you begin contemplating suicide reading 'The Smartest Kid on Earth'. Quite simply the most depressing thing I've ever read.