Whose fault is this, mine or my stepmom's?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mgargan1, May 12, 2005.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Okay, so for the past two weeks there has been mulch where I normally park my car. Because of this I park my car down the street, because my step mom asked me to park there so she wouldn't hit it, which normally isn't a big deal, just an annoyance. Well, I recently pulled my goin working out... and well, lets just say that it hurts to walk. So last night I pull my car in right behind my dad, which my step mom never hit is she pulls straight out of the parking garage. Well, as soon as she passes my dad's car, she turns right into mine!! I can see her tire marks on the pavement, and she turns right into my car. She called me up, and started blaming me!! From the evidence that I have, she could have EASILY seen my car, and kept pulling out straight, and NOT have hit my car.

Whose fault does this sound like? Mine, her's, or both of ours.

If anything in this thread doesn't make sense, let me know... i'm not thinking clearly at the moment and I may just be rambling.

2. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Her's. She should watch where she's driving the damn car. What's the matter, too hung over from the night before to watch where she's going?

God, I've gotta ease up on the ****ing coffee....

3. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Her's without a doubt. Unless you have installed a cloaking device on your car...

You can't blame anyone else if you back into a parked car in your driveway! What if there was a kid walking past and she hit him/her?

Sounds very unreasonable to me.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

LOL, it's clearly her fault. What does she want to do to drive safely? Tell everyone how they have to park their car, so she knows where not to drive? She has to look where she's driving, of course. I think she has a bad conscience and that's why she tries to blame you.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

OK from what I understand she wasn't expecting your car to be parked where it was and crashed into it, hence it's your fault.

She's wrong. It's her fault, not yours.

Although when trying to place blame ask yourself does it really matter? You don't want to fall out with family over something like this. If money is an issue, ask your step-mum to help you out without placing any blame and bask safe in the knowledge that you're in the right.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its her fault, don't let her try and blame you for this. If someone else had parked there for some weird reason there would be no question on it. Its her responsibility to watch what she's doing while driving. What causes the issue is your relationship with your step mom. She's trying to use that to justify fault. If you continue to have problems, just have a 3rd party make the call - one you both trust as being unbiased.

D

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Ask her if she hits someone that parks next to her in a parking lot at the mall if it is their fault.

Zing. :cool:

8. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Or show her this thread ;) :p

(So who's going to make a poll?!)

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

It's her fault, she was operating the car that did the "hitting", so technically it's her fault... Thing is though, she's family- let it go- tell her you should have warned her you parked there, and explain your injury.. This'll give her a way out for a stupid mistake on her part- she knows she blew it, let her out with some dignity still in tact...

As far as damage goes, if it's minimal, just deal with it- if it's major consider turning it in to YOUR insurance company for your car, and her co. for her car.. That's usually what happens in these "parking garage" type accidents anyway- most times it goes down as no fault for either driver- odd, but that's how it seems to be...

I feel your pain though; 2 weeks ago I get a call from my wife telling me she hit my parked car... After making sure everyone's alright I ask what the damage is to the vehicles, wondering if I should prepare to fix broken lights or bumpers or whatever... This was greeted with a harsh response along the lines of, "it was an accident, your precious car is fine, don't worry".. lol.. She hits my car, and than yells at me for asking what the damage is.. WTF ?... Like I said, let it go, and learn to love your new dent- that's what I did...lol...

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

her fault without a doubt, she needs to be a more attentive driver or shouldnt be on the road at all. the unexpected happens when you drive and you need to be able to react to them, if a parked car is too much for her to handle then she shouldn't be driving at all

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think we'd need at least someone to say it's not the step-mom's fault first - otherwise, a 100% poll is boring. And we're too knowledgeable to assign blame to anyone but the step-mom. ;)

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

it's your step-moms fault, since she wacked into your car. However, I do understand her irritation if you changed the agreed upon parking situation without telling anyone. So, I think that also needs to be taken into consideration before any discussion happens.

14. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Ok I'll bite. It's your fault. Or maybe mine - were you following our advice to play sport? :p. Is that how you pulled your groin?

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

perfect way to do it! Unless of course you had a cloaking device engaged, then it is your fault.

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's YOUR fault. Mother's are always right... or so says mine. Which is sort of self validating. If they're always right then she must be right about always being right, right?

17. goodwill macrumors regular

It sounds like you'd probably be at fault for even being born with how your step mom is quick to place blame. How else would she get her way or get out of things if she didn't find someone to place blame on. Look at it this way, I think you probably know, you couldve parked your car in Louisiana and she still wouldve blamed you when she backed into it.

18. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

whats wrong with morning coffee?

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

So, you ADMIT that you FRIVOLOUSLY VIOLATED what was clearly a BINDING LEGAL CONTRACT with your step-mom by parking in a spot YOU AGREED to stay out of, she hits your CLOAKED car, and you expect her to take the blame????

What, are you logical, or reasonable, or somethin'? Maybe you're a sentient being? :rolleyes:

Is there anyone out there who thinks this is NOT the step-mom's fault? Would it be her fault if it was anyone else's car that was parked there? Yes, of course it would. Your agreement to stay out of that spot does not release her from being responsible enough to actually look where she is driving.

As others have said here, though, finding a tactful way of bitch-slapping her is going to be tough, particularly if she continues to cling to that twisted thread of logic she's got going.

Good luck. Hope the car and the groin make a full and speedy recovery.

20. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

DUDE, ITS TOTALLY YOUR FAULT.

I'm just f****** with ya. its her fault. And the nerve she has to try to blame you for it... what a knuckle head.

What if it wasnt your car she hit? What if she hit some strangers car? She needs to learn how to drive, and better yet she needs to learn how to take some responsibility.

21. mac-er macrumors 65816

It her fault.

If the government puts up a stop sign, and she runs it because she is not used to seeing it...whose fault is it, her's or the government's?

Her responsbility to be aware of what is around her.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Is your step-mom Japanese? :D

The motor vehicle rules here are strange. For example, all drivers are considered professionals. As such, if you have an accident, you are tried as a professional driver.

Additionally, most accidents result in a compromise between parties. As such your incident might be 80% her fault and 20% her fault.

For example, you are at a red light. Stopped. Waiting for the light to change. And then someone rear ends you. Believe it or not, you will be partly to blame for being there eventhough it was not your fault in the slightest.

As to your situation, your step-mom needs to look to see if the area is clear before driving!

Sushi

23. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

uhh she's driving the car, it's her fault. Plain and simple. If she can't see a parked car in the driveway or what have you than she shouldn't be driving. Plain and simple.

24. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Umm, that's the most ***** whipped thing I've heard in a long time.

Obviously he should try to resolve this calmly, and maturely, but just taking it up the ass is not the solution.