Whose Idea Was It?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 13, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors G5

nagromme

Xerox's GUI work introduced some of what we are used to today, but Xerox was only part of an evolution that started with writings of Vannevar Bush in the 1930s and 40s that predated digital computers! Bush's writings inspired Douglas Englebart, who made the first working GUI and invented the mouse. BEFORE he worked for Xerox.

Then came Xerox's important PARC work (which mainly stayed in the labs), and then Apple came along and added a great deal themselves. They perfected the mouse hardware (it wasn't a practical, reliable device before Apple's) AND introduced much of what we now expect in a GUI. (Jobs' NeXT went its own way and innovated some things we now expect from GUIs too--and of course NeXTStep is a big part of Mac OS X's lineage.)

So for the record, some things Apple/NeXT contributed to the GUI:

Drag-and-drop
    Pulldown menus (including the File Edit View structure still used today)
    Checkmark-selected menu items
    Keyboard shortcuts for menus
    Graying-out unavailable items
    Trashcan (aka recycle bin)
    Double-clicking
    Every file being an icon (and dragging for file management)
    Hierarchical file browsing with windows representing directory contents
    Metadata fork, including assigning what app would open what file
    Redrawing of only the necessary part of a window when something in front of it is moved (which Quartz now makes moot--but Windows XP is still that primitive)
    Shaded/beveled look for windows and icons (NeXT is the first I'm aware of that went all the way with that)
    "X" symbol for closing windows (NeXT had it, then it showed up in other UNIXes and Windows... now it's on Mac too)
    Dock that can be placed at any edge
    Dialogs ("sheets") visually attached directly to their associated windows
    Exposé

So Xerox PARC introduced a lot of important concepts--scrollbars for instance, and some limited use of icons--but to appreciate Apple's contribution to the GUI, just imagine life without the above.

An of course Apple made a successful real-world PRODUCT with a GUI. Xerox never managed that, although they did release the unsuccessful Star.

One thing's for sure, the idea didn't come from Microsoft like many people think :p

For more on GUI history, see:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/gui.ars/

3. macrumors 603

wordmunger

So you're saying the scene in Pirates of Silicon Valley where the Xerox people show Steve a computer with pull-down menus is not true?

4. macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

This stuff should be taught in all schools. It's such crap that people think Microsoft came up with the whole picture.

What kills me more is when people say Bill Gates invented the internet. PLEASE. :mad:

5. macrumors 6502a

fayans

BTW, who invented the internet?

6. macrumors 65816

neocell

Gore :rolleyes:

7. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Heh, I used to use this Xerox stuff before I used a Mac. I still have them huge floppies I used to load into those brown boxes. The Xerox stuff was way expensive over here, but there is no doubt it worked in an internal office environment. It was years before I could drag & drop a document over a printer icon, walk down the corridor and pick it out of a printer on my Mac, AFAIR.

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

According to the history at Ars, not true :) But I'd be curious to see the scene and what was really happening--assuming it was the actual Xerox GUI being shown.

(And wasn't it OTHER people at Apple who wanted to SHOW Steve the stuff at PARC? Really they were the ones who were first inspired by the GUI, not Steve anyway.)

9. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

It is a very interesting series of articles in PCMag, including the "Whose idea it was" article. ;)

10. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

What the!??!

Okay, so I had a lot of time while waiting for code to compile today and actually read about 90% of the whole Windows 20th Anniversary thing that is article is part of.

Filled with a lot of "rah rah" Windows is awesome stuff, to be expected, but the following 2 Q&A quotes epitomized why MicroSoft products just never seem to have, as Steve Jobs puts it, "class":

Why does my PC even come into this picture? How about just asking your hands-free cell phone (or pda, or car computer, or whatever) what the gate is and it not having to use your PC? i.e. "Computer, ", said after tapping the BlueTooth headset button, ", find out what gate my flight leaves from this morning." Phone/PDA checks it's the calendar, searches for the flight, hits some travel SOAP server on the web and reads back the info.

Um, yeah. I really want my entire life on "video". (or whatever)

Geeez!

11. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

The USA army, if I remember. They needed a means to transfer information during wars. Especially if a building was being attacked, in which they could transfer the data and then delete the info in the building. I believe this was how the internet came about.

12. macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Here's a brief history of the internet and this is the man who invented the World Wide Web.

13. macrumors G5

nagromme

...invented it, no less, on a NeXT box :) aka ancestor of Mac OS X...

14. macrumors 6502a

fayans

Are you referring to period of vietnam war?
    The links are broken :(

15. mpw

How ironic!

16. macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

This describes it pretty well.

17. macrumors 6502

HydroMan

They work now, bit late though :eek:

18. macrumors 6502a

fayans

Thanks for sharing the link! :) Didn't know till now that it all started out of Defense Department project.

19. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Cold War?

20. macrumors regular

Multiple interviews with the people involved at the time tell it that way, yes. The people at Apple were already playing around with GUI concepts, and arranged for the PARC tour so they could show Steve Jobs a working version of what they had in mind.