Whose logo is in this photo?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I can't play with my Mac today until I finish my chore: a thank-you note to someone who gave me a T-shirt. To do that, I'd like to know what the logo on the shirt is, since I know I've seen it plenty of times before. I haven't been able to find it on the web and everybody I've asked says "I don't know what it is, but I've seen it before."

Can somebody please tell me whose logo this is? Here's a shot of the shirt and a closeup:

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'm not sure, but those people look like ants in hiking gear...

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I assumed they were ants too. They don't seem to be a logo of the city of Victoria. Gildan, the company that actually made the shirt, has a web site with no clues. I've searched for various combinations of words like hiking, ants, t-shirt, victoria in Google, Google Images, and at T-shirt sites. Nothing so far.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

have you been looking for the copyright mark? BOC or BCC or whatever it is... probably an indication of the company that designed the image...

pnw

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I considered that too, and yesterday I checked out some sites like this. I think Kokopelli was the inspiration for the hiking ants, but somebody is behind the distribution of this particular design.

7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

They logo looks vaguely familiar, but then again, they are a lot orange circular logos.

Any other clues you can give us on the shirt?

p.s. - paulwhannel, what's the answer to your sig? (blw&white and cant fit into a phonebooth?)

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've searched all over Google and can't find it, either. The caption looks like boc 1998, I searched for that, too, with no results.

As for the answer...a giant man-eating penguin?

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I suspect that the "bcc" stands for British Columbia C...something. Which probably means the B logo is for the same company or group.

10. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

in my book, someone that gives you a t-shirt from somewhere they've been doesn't deserve a thank you...if i wore a shirt from somewhere...someone is bound to ask me when i was there...and then i would have to explain..."oh...i don't travel cause all i do is play on my computer all day long...my friend got it for me" ha ha ha....

for a split second, the tv channel "boomerang" popped into my head...but i'm sure that's not right...

i second the thought that it's British Columbia C--

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I did a ton of different google searches for stuff that applied to the shirt and didn't turn anything up. Its possible that the T-shirt was made by a little T-shirt company and sold on the street as a souvenir.

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I appreciate the help, Powerbook G5, paulwhannel, szark, DreaminDirector, and OutThere761. I'm still hunting for clues, and I haven't given up yet. Of course, you may realize that I was trying to do my "chore" before my "playing", and I cleverly turned my chore into an Internet wild goose chase (I mean wild ant chase), which is more fun than writing thank-you notes!

There are experimental search engines that can take an image and look for "similar" images, but I don't think any of them have an Internet-wide index. Too bad.

mnkeybsness: I have been to Victoria, so having this particular T-shirt won't be a problem. It's certainly better than "My friend went to Canada and all I got was this lousy T-shirt". In fact, the geeky T-shirt I wore yesterday (photo below) got me more odd looks and questions than the Victoria one will!

[​IMG]

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Nice...reminds me of those
    "C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    C:\Run\DOS\RUN"
    shirts

14. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

kokopelli is the god of fertility, he would come in the night, playing his flute and inpregnate the fair madens who were "expecting" him.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

those guys are really familiar. i think i have seen them on many shirts in tourists shops in Moab, UT, which is where a lot of biking, offroading, and hiking goes on.

iJon

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Quite obvious. A nun with a spear through her chest.

:)
    pnw

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I still stand by my answer of a giant man-eating penguin!

18. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

because the chicken was on the other side of the road?

20. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

21. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I still haven't found where the T-shirt image came from, but I just came across a very nice photo of some real ants (leaf-cutter ants) on a hike:

[​IMG]