wht do i need to set up a wireless connectiona at home?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Nov 11, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

well, i'll list the things that i already haven. what do i need for wireless connection in my home and any recomendation of products? i don't want anything from Apple as they're pricy i wanna get something pretty cheap.thanks in advance...

Well, i have,
    a DSL Modem, a tel line, ethernet cables etc..and a normal 4 port Router. what else do i need?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm sure there are other way, but the easiest way I know would be to purchase a 802.11g router. I have an older Netgear that has lasted 3+ years with no issues. Linksys makes one that's pretty well regarded as well.

As for other things you'd need. A wireless card or adapter for any computer you want on the network.

Also, your 4-port router will no longer be necessary as the wireless router will have 4 ports as well.

ft

EDIT - also, don't pay more than $40 for a wireless router. There are so many places to get a brand name 11g router for less than $40 that it's not even funny.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

If you can solder, you might find one of the old original Airports with bad caps and replace them and be up & running for $10 or so. You have to turn off the DHCP on both sides to use it with your current router.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've found that the D-Link wireless routers work nicely with Apple stuff. I had a Linksys and always had connection issues.

D

5. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

is there anything like a wireless transmiter? i don't wanna spend cash to get another router, even if it's a wireless...i don't wanna jus throw my 5 months old router...

6. brandon6684 Guest

I've never had a problem with Linksys, I'd higly recomend one of those.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Hmmm. A wireless transmitter. I think you'd might be able to get a wireless access point or maybe a wireless ethernet bridge. Then hook that up to your router. It might take some messing around, and you'd have less features than a regular 11g router. Plus, it would likely cost more than a 11g router.

Honestly, I really think a wireless router is the easiest and cheapest way to go.

The only other thing is if you have multiple computers. I'm not sure about PCs, but Macs are able to act as software base stations. So if you have a Mac with wireless, you would connect from the router to that Mac via ethernet. Then, that Mac would send out a wireless signal for all other wireless devices. The downside is that Mac needs to be on 24/7.

ft

8. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

yeah i'll try to find out and probally compare the price tmrw...thnx...

9. brandon6684 Guest

I agree. These days wireless routers are so cheap(even compared to WAPs), I'd get one of those. You'd still get the same basic funcionality of a WAP, but you'd also have a spare router.