whu is my battery never 100%

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by abhishekit, Jan 29, 2004.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

My battery charge never goes upto 100%. Anyone knows what may be the reason. I did not do the optimization of the battery,charging and then draining away before charging again.
    thanks

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Assuming you mean an iBook or Powerbook, don't worry- it's normal. My battry bar stays at about 99%, only venturing to 100 occasionally. This is because when it's plugged in, the battery drains itself as to not overcharge it (methinks). The moment it hits 100, it stops eating power.
    /educated guess

4. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

5. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

This is correct. The PowerBooks and iBooks do charge to 100%, but the moment the battery fully charges, power is cut off and they slowly start to lose their charge. The battery will stay at 99% for a long time and then drop slowly until it hits about 90% and then it will start to charge again. Don't worry about it--it's normal and extends the life of the battery.

6. dave1234 macrumors regular

I had this similar problem with my Powerbook, do this, Turn of your PB, Unplug it, then flip it over, take a penny (or similar coin-object) and open up the battery case. it has a padlock looking thing next to it, then just take out the battery, then put it back in.

If it is the iPod...well drain the battery, then charge it to full, if problem persists, maybe your battery is losing it, hell mine did.:(

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Draining a Lithium Ion battery should only be necessary when you first get it, and then again only when problems crop up. Doing so shortens the life of the battery. Having a charge of 99% is normal small charges of <5% are almost as bad as running it down all the way. A constant charge, or charging from between 5-10% and 95% is preferred.