Why all the big hair?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mudbug, May 2, 2004.

1. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Apparently a growing trend in advertising is using a dark-skinned male actor/model with FRIKKIN' BIG HAIR. It's not the race of the individual, it's just the hair. I don't get it. It's running rampant on television, in ads for McDonald's, Nike, etc, as well as in print ads for random companies, Microsoft's Office 2004 Suite included (see full page ad in most recent "Macworld.")

This was a fashion statement in the 70's, and it was bad back then. Now the '00s remix is to color the tips of it blonde. It doesn't help. It's still a bad look.

I mean to encite no riots, nor do I intend to make this a racially motivated thread. I'm just curious if others are as slightly miffed by this recent occurance as I am, or if I'm alone in my pseudo-rant.

2. alxths macrumors 6502

Is there a pic you can post as an example?

At any rate, if the fro wants to return, there'll be no objection from me.. most people's styles are so boring as it is, afros in the mainstream could make things a little more interesting :)

3. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I've noticed this, too. I don't know why. I kind of like the hair, but I am growing sick of seeing it in commercials and stuff. But, once everyone has big hair, they will be using people without it to look cool and different.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Fortunately I haven't seen anything like that here in NZ. Having said that, I don't watch ads on TV, I just leave the room. And I use an ad-blocker on my computer.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Any change that drives out overhead shots of people with giant heads and tiny feet is welcome.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I rather like it, particularly the "rubber band man" commercial for Staples or Office depot or whatever the hell... it's cute, it's a little refreshed (it's a different style, blonde tips a lot, like you said), and it's fun. Come to think of it, hair in general is getting fun again, away from the sheer-blonde length for women and short spikes for men that invaded in the late '90s. Too preppy. I just finished growing my hair out from the spikes, i admit, and i love my new longer curly look. I feel more relaxed, truth be told.

I think justin guarini had a lot to do influencing the fro comeback, his hair was kind of a shock at first, very big. That's when i started noticing it appearing.

paul

7. Mudbug thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

hahah - honestly, the rubberbandman commercial is my exception to the rule - I like that spot too. :D

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Oh it’s worse then that. I think the afro is making a return *shudders* :eek:

I've been seeing people with fros more often in the last few years. God help us if disco makes a comeback. :eek:

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ditto. The first time I heard and saw it I got the blasted tune stuck in my head for a week. :cool:

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I ****ING HATE THOSE! :mad:

I swear they were on every page of the agenda that my school gave out last year.

11. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

For those of you who don't watch TV, here is the commerical

http://officemax.secureportal.com/rubberband.mov

It's one of my favorite commercials [​IMG]

12. macka macrumors regular

If you wanna see a 'fro....you can't beat Guy Sebastian - the winner of Australian Idol. The dude on the right is Shannon Noll, the runner up.
    IMO, they're both crap.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think long hair is the new trend or whatever, here on campus less and less guys have their hair short, instead all you see are guys with really bad hair because they are trying to grow it out to be cool, my one room mate was disapointed the other week when i cut my hair instead of growing it out, i dont know i think its cool to grow your hair out if you want to, but you shouldnt do it just because every one else is, and it doesnt work for everyone either but whatever. Eventually the short styles will be back in fashion, its a sick sick cycle

14. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

Lots of hair will keep your head warm, along with selling hamburgers.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've been thinking about growing mine out...do a minimalist white man's afro type thing, but not too over the top.

I won't flip burger though. ;)

16. Applexilef macrumors regular

I wonder if an increase of people with long hair or fro's will translate into an increased percentange of people with fleas.

17. medea macrumors 68030

medea

this is sad.

First off you can't seperate the hair style from race so by complaining about afro's you are automatically, tho maybe not intentionally, making this a racially motivated thread, the style is called the AFRO for a reason. If someones hair naturally goes into an afro why should they have to use straighteners? And what business is it to any of you how someone wears their hair?

18. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

I know lots of black men with who do not straighten their hair, but not one of them chooses to wear an afro. I don't think the person who started the thread was complaining about how someone wears their hair. I think it is about the bandwagon that everyone is jumping on because they want their product to be represented by whatever is "hip" this month. The only thing that denoted racism in his post was that he was concerned about sounding racist.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    don't mess with the fro.

only some people can pull it off tho

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You mess with the fro, you got to go! :)

Sushi

21. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

ugh. Yeah I've totally been noticing this lately AND I DON'T LIKE IT. I like a nice clean-cut man. You can see a representative sample on tv (which is most likely driving the growing trend I see on campus). CUT YOUR HAIR YOU HIPPIES! ;) I'm kind of getting used to it but i still prefer clean cut (almost military short)

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That is just dumb.

Lethal

23. Golem macrumors 6502

Well NZ is not quite part of it but In Australia they just started yet another series of Big Brother ... have to watch at least 1 program so I can then say its junk:),But all they guys except one have the male version of Big hair, We have dreadlocks and spikes all over the place. What are the guys talking about within a few hours of arriving? hair products!,Bleh! Metrosexual rulez?

24. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Mine's getting shorter all the time. Thinner, too! You into ugly dudes?

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Noooooooo!

I suppose they're simulcasting (?) it here like they did with the last one, but as I said I don't watch ads so I don't know these things :)