why all the negative ps3 press

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

:p

B/c it sucks. Just kidding.

The PS3 is not performing, it many's eyes, like "Sony" "said" it would.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Because Sony keep producing it. We ain't putting this stuff out by our own malicious intent - they do it for us

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because Sony hyped the best machine ever, then slowly by surely fell back on every lie. A quick recap of Sony lies whilst I slurp on my fizzy Vimto-

-Dual HDMI
    -Dual 120fps 1080p
    -7 controllers
    -Fastest and best looking console ever (which is funny, from what I'm seeing it's marginally worse than 360).
    -Better than Xbox Live service
    -Ramblings about "True HD"... actually, you might want to look up Sony quotes over the past few years. They're hilarious! I'm sure somebody has a nice link to read. they involve such rubbish as "PS3 isn't expensive, it's teaching discipline to save up" or something to that attire.
    -Lack of bundling cables with system
    -Balls up of the launch. I mean seriously a huge mess up. They aren't producing the same number of systems as the Wii but that's constantly sold out, even in the UK (never been this bad before).
    -CRAP adverts. I mean really bad. A huge drop in quality from PS2 adverts.
    -Stupid deterant price. Bye bye student market, bye bye children market, bye bye any market that makes money. Oh and not even attempting to break the non-gamer market? Have they missed what the DS and Wii have been doing?

Actually it can be summed up as "Sony lies".

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

It's just like when the PSP came out, there was so much hype over the japanese release, then it finally comes out here, and... no one cared.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

The only thing that stayed in the PS3 that they hyped was the 7 controllers.

7. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Don't forget the lack of good games.

Hmm... sounds strangely like the PSP...

How is Sony's Playstation division not bankrupt yet? Oh, that's right, because the PS2, the second-to-last release in the franchise, is selling more than the most recent two. :)

Daniel.

And wait... why 7? Aren't even numbers more widely accepted in video games? It's kind of stupid to split a screen into 7...

Daniel.

8. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I can't imagine actually finding 7 people who'd want to play and grouping them together in one room to warrant 7 controllers :p

Really, I'm surprised by the backlash the PS3 has got. I thought that it would have a much better reception just by virtue of the PS2 sales. Thinking about it, the PS3 is a little like the rich spoilt kid in school who bragged about all his stuff to impress the other kids, and then couldn't figure out why no-one like him.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As evidented by Atari and Nintendo in the 80's and 90's - there is no mass brand loyalty in gaming. The only thing that will sell no matter what is the Gameboy or anything portable from Nintendo.

Oh... and there isn't 7 player support. Apparently the controllers are buggy as hell too. They're prone to disconnecting and need to be connected by a wire to connect wirelessly :)confused: )... or so I heard.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Sony has also said some really arrogent things about other's product, that didn't bode well for them in the end. The whole Root-kit thing really ticked off tons of peeps.

And on the Sony lying thing. This was true even when I bought my Clié almost 5 years ago. They completely lied about its MP3 capabilities and I noticed that things didn't change one-bit for the PSP. I've learned that anything Sony + Digital-Music is generally crap. If not for their music division, I would have higher marks for Sony these days. Ironically, my entire family room is almost all Sony.

Anyway, I saw 6 PS3s just now at Circuit City. I was in there looking for another Classic Controller for the Wii. :)

I do plan on buying a PS3 though.

<]=)

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm thinking it has to do with Japanese custom, but I would expect that they would do 5 instead of 7. You'd never invite 3 people by traditional customs to meet with you because that would be 4 and the word for 4 sounds like the word for death.

They've some good technology. They've just forgotten how to make things work for people who don't work their company.

I used to buy a lot of Sony products but can't find anything I'd want at this point. The PS3 is a good machine but it's not great and obviously for a lot of people, there is more fun elsewhere.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My controllers have never disconnected.

*shakes head*

It's not even worth it at this point in these forums....

Someone posted that "if they have a wii number in their sig they think the PS3 is going to die", so so true..

Most your comments are unfounded (not just you Jimmi),

• The PS3 is more powerful than the 360
    • The PS3 is True HD 1080p video TrueHD Audio gaming/movies which is more than the competition can claim.
    • The PS3 is the fastest console in this generation
    • The looks are opinionated
    • The launch outsold the 360, PS2, and PS1 US launch numbers thats just horrible :rolleyes:
    • At least it has 1 HDMI port unlike the competition...
    • I personally careless if i have to buy a $17 cable.

Ive Said this before..

This is how it usually ends up...
    • Sony has production issues and can't make enough, they are lying
    • Sony sells out and they aren't on shelves, they are bad for not creating enough/creating false demand
    • Sony gets production right and retailers are receiving enough machines to fulfill stock, Sony is bad and no one wants it...

There needs to be some balance in here, at least tell 2 sides of the story or maybe try to tell the truth instead of just bashing something blindly. MS has a known record of paying people off to bash their competition, or do you think they are just giving bloggers laptops with Vista on it because they are nice people :rolleyes:

I totally agree that Sony needs to step up marketing, their adverts have been very slim lately.

No one can tell the future, but the 360 had a launch that was worse than the PS3 and i can find pallets upon pallets of them in stores i guess that means its failing too eh?

Right now is that lull between releases, the PS3 will start the titles in Feb with Oblivion (Already rated as better graphically than the 360), and motorstorm the day after. I posted a list of exclusives for the year in another post, the PS3 has more.

It's all about choice, i think this thread will turn in to what we are getting right now. A full on flame war.

Ed

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Dream on...just let it go and move on:)
    Gotta learn to accept it that MR is pro nintendo/xbox and anti PS3/PSP...its the fact of life.

Bless

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope, seems to me that MR are Pro-good things. PS2 seemed to be the big one on these forums last time. The original Xbox wasn't liked much.

Credit is given where due, and duly removed too.

edit: but on topic- the PS3 has been getting slated in the British press. Live Magazine saying the games were nothing important or remotely fun (ps. Mag is aimed at disposable income 20-something crowd). Computer Active too, plus a slew of newspapers. I remember saying when these were published that the anti-PS3 is out of the blogosphere. You might think it's a better system but it's still got one hell of a fight for England.

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

We have so many Playstation3s at my store that we could build a pyramid out of them.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Can they heat the store with them? That's the best thing about the new generation of consoles during winter.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

How about a fort? :)

<]=)

18. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I think I hear a broken record here...

anyway to the Original Post - I believe that there is no such thing as bad press - then again who knows and who cares - If you have a <insert console name here> stop bitching/bashing of what you may or may not have in these forums and go play and enjoy what you have. If you are not having fun then remedy that situation by taking the appropriate measures. The purpose of these consoles is to have FUN.

19. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

That'd be one hell of an expensive fort...

I'm in. :)

20. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Enough to do this? If you've all already seen this, sorry!

Daniel.

[​IMG]

21. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

And they all sold in 4m37s at an average Order pace: 0m 3.463s

All 20GB units BTW.

That was cute though :p

Ed

22. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i gotta agree, everyone here tends to be a all about nintendo. i say if sony wants to fall from the top spot in gaming then let them have at it. but, its too early to tell, in a couple of years those wii graphics wont be so tolerable

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

They're BlueTooth, so there's 8 devices - one on the console, and the remaining 7 in the controllers

They binned that idea, tbh, because 7 is a bit 0.o

Yeah, you boot the console up, connect the controller, let it sync (BlueTooth to blame again), then you can disconnect it and use it. Again, 0.o

1) In actual game programming, the PS3 sucks. As Felix Domke said, the SPEs are rubbish in real-life situations - "I don't know what they're trying... but it probably won't work"
    2) Hmmwellno... A lot of games are 720p, and it can't scale the 720p ones up, so, yes, it can theoretically output 1080p, but so can the 360, so meh...

3) This annoys me greatly - it's "I couldn't care less". If you could care less, then that means that you still have some care in you to begin with. If you couldn't care less, then you've already expended your last care, and don't have any to bother with :mad:

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

bad press is because Sony is too full of themselves. They have bad marketing, bad PR (EXTREMELY bad PR) and they ran their mouths off so now smartass bloggers are getting their revenge by digging into them when they are stumbling (as they have been for months now). Sony hyped their launch to be great, but launches and their fallout rarely are great (although the Wii army around here will protest that). The only problem I have is 9 out of 10 people ragging on the PS3 have probably never played one for more than an hour (or less) so really you have a ton of ignorant people spouting off about something they heard for gamespot or from their friends friends cousins sister-in-laws brother.

Personally, I think the best thing Sony can do is what they are doing now. That is shut up, ship systems, try to secure some good exclusives and just try to keep on MS/Nintendo's tail as best they can. I hope they do well because Peter Moore really pisses me off and seeing good Wii/PS3 sales figures must make him annoyed.

25. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

What's in the w00t boxes in the background? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.