Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
A lot of people here are making ASSUMPTIONS that iTV will have things like Hulu, Netflix and MLB.tv. NONE of which are confirmed and in fact...all of serious huddles to cross before they would be available as an app on the iTV.

We'll see what they say next week, if this stuff is included for FREE, it may be compelling...otherwise I will stick with the HTPC in which I already get all of this for free...

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
If it can play my multichannel m4v files at 1080p for a hundred bucks it's an automatic buy. (mkv is probably too much to ask for.) The apps and media partnerships and $0.99 rentals and clever control scheme I think they're working on but no one knows about and all the rest are just icing.

macnewbie13

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Massachusetts
take this with a grain of salt but, I was at my local Apple store today and i heard two of the managers talking about a customer. They were referring to his Apple TV as iTV. "So-and-so brought his iTV in because it's having a problem" or something to that extent. I know the retail staff does not get wind of new products ahead of time, usually, but just wanted to throw this piece of info out there.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
take this with a grain of salt but, I was at my local Apple store today and i heard two of the managers talking about a customer. They were referring to his Apple TV as iTV. "So-and-so brought his iTV in because it's having a problem" or something to that extent.
Apple Stores have sold EyeTVs for awhile.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Apple Stores have sold EyeTVs for awhile.

That's EyeTV. Unless you're referring to Apple being silly to call their product after another wildly popular Mac product.

We all know this new device won't be called iTV. Be interesting what they do call it though.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps, what is peoples obsessions with everything Apple having to have an App Store? if you want to download Apps use your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

Personally i think App's on a TV device is the most stupid idea ever

I don't know about you, but my HDTV is a liiiiitle bit bigger than my iPhone's screen. Using apps, and playing lots of really cheap games on a big screen, without having to worry about battery life, on a big screen with quality speakers is a big plus.

Of course, I'm still a bit confused how it's going to work - an iPhone/iTouch as the input device? Would apps then be unusable by someone without an iPhone? Or perhaps it would work with a magic trackpad? I'm confused.. :confused:

ceraz

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
Plain obvious for me. True full HD support "+ hackable" so I can stream my HD content to the TV without loss ... otherwise, I'm gone to competition.

There's is no point in refreshing ATV if the hardware does not undergo a serious review.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
easy.

1. Price
2. speed (my apple tv is sooo slow)
3. iOS (Jailbreaking, Games, apps, constantly updated)

all these things make the "iTV" a no brainer. I was going to get a mac mini but $700 is a lot to swallow. I love my apple tv but its slow and kind of a pain in the ass to navigate and its kind of apples forgotten product never gets an update if it does it minor stuff.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
All the hype? For me it's mostly because the Apple TV hardware is 4 years old. Thats reason enough for me. Its the most neglected Apple product in my eyes. iOS is going to breathe new life into it.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
All the hype? For me it's mostly because the Apple TV hardware is 4 years old. Thats reason enough for me. Its the most neglected Apple product in my eyes. iOS is going to breathe new life into it.
I would also submit an A4 chip would breathe some new life into it ;) Point taken.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

New.

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
That's EyeTV. Unless you're referring to Apple being silly to call their product after another wildly popular Mac product.

We all know this new device won't be called iTV. Be interesting what they do call it though.

What aristobrat was saying is that macnewbie13 could have heard eyeTV and mistakenly thought they heard iTV. They sound fairly close.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps

There are so many excellent News / Weather / Info / Food etc. apps available, I would probably pay $99 just for a device that permanently connects to my tv that could use them all...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I don't see what's wrong with the Apple TV and why it gets so much hate, neither do I see why the hell I need apps on my TV.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I don't see what's wrong with the Apple TV and why it gets so much hate, neither do I see why the hell I need apps on my TV.

Netflix or Hulu apps, or any of the network apps to view streaming programming for free? Weather or news feeds?

None of this makes any sense for you on your TV?

I would agree that some apps won't work on a non-touch interface, but there is a lot of stuff that will fit beautifully.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
MLB has an app to watch live baseball. That cuts one of my tether's to cable.

I'm right there with you - my Roku HD XR box is working fine for baseball, but if aTV(iTV?) allows iOS type apps such as MLB and Hulu, it's all over.

My sticking point was PBS Kids shows, but I had a moment of clarity on that as well - just buy a season or two of PBS kids shows (they're usually cheap, and kids don't care about HD vs. SD) in iTunes and have them available - voila - cord cut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.