Why am i being soo tempted with the MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, May 27, 2006.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Something keeps drawing me to the MacBook, maybe its the amazing price or the black colour. Logic tells me to wait till MWSF before buying a new mac. However logic also tells me that leopard will take a while to become native i.e before apps are re-written for it and that it will also be buggy initially as every new OS is till about 10.5.5. Logic also tells me that the MacBooks wont see any upgrades till January as the MacBook Pros, eMac and MacPro will be apple's priority in coming months

Weird thing is i want to buy the low end white one but i'm scared it'll get dirty and i know the black one will hide dirt (though not oil) more and may even have a better resale value. Plus after buying RAM and HDD the price will become more expensive than if i simply buy a black one with 1GB RAM upgrades and 100GB HDD

Help me reason people, should i get a MacBook?, i can survive with my PowerBook and will only use the MacBook to eek! run windows cos i miss alot of games i'd like to play (non 3D) which simply don't exist on the Mac Platform. I also miss being able to play launch videos in yahoo as well as MSN videos. I dont do any graphics work or video work...well only home movies and only edit photos with iPhoto so the integrated graphics are fine with me.

Another fear i'm having is after ordering a BTO option, i won't be able to return it if i have the Heat/Whine/Moo issue and would instead be carrying out forlorn repairs. Any advise?

2. DBAlex macrumors regular

DBAlex

I dont know... Because its a new apple product that everyone *should* want?

Nothing makes me want one!

The heat the whine the gloss etc...

Infact it makes me want a decent specced last revision powerbook more, I prefer PowerPC over intel anyway.

Dont just buy something because its a new product, Think if you really need it and what downfalls there would be with it... Not trying to put a downer on things, just thing of the problems the macbook is reported to be having. ;)

Id stick with your PowerBook, Maybe build a cheap PC for windows? Also some dells are going very cheap on ebay atm (Dual Core too)

Anyway, I wouldnt rush into anything yet, Maybe wait till merom/new revision macboooks?

Well in the end its your decision i suppose. Have fun. :D

EDIT: also you could allways use a VNC client and run a windows desktop on your Mac! That would be like parallels though, and I dont know if DirectX works... Would be fast though.

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Hmm there may be some truth to that but i wasnt hyped when the iMacs and 17" MacBook Pros were released and not because of their prices either. They just didnt rub on me. I guess i just want a portable cheap windows PC...preferably vista capable but all current models are higher in price than the MacBooks.

I cant build another tower thats too much stress in fact i'm signing off on desktops...well i might re-consider once the MacPros start shipping but i doubt it. Portables all the way for me.

4. DBAlex macrumors regular

DBAlex

Well like i said its your choice...

Personally i was waiting for the MacBooks on tenterhooks definetely wanting one and selling my pc, mac mini and first born to afford one... Then when they came out i was disappointed, The Intergrated graphics, glossy screen and heat and whine have put me off, If im buying a PC with intergrated graphics i mareswell buy some crappy £349 Celeron M laptop from PC World or suchlike...

As allways its your own choice though, If apple does it for you and you need the new defacto apple portable then get one! :D

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

..yeah i dont get that why hasnt apple fixed the whine/heat issues?..i dont think other manufacturers (sony/HP) have these issues do they?

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

lol. Good one

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Whoa just read the MacBook support forums. Erm...me definately be holding off (again) on this product