Why am I losing Weight?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey Guys,
    Some of you might remember a while back I made a couple of threads about losing weight and you guys gave me tips. Lets start out by saying I am a very over weight 17 year old. I am 1.81m(around 5.10) and I used to weigh around 105.5 KG. I also have a fairly big build(broad shoulders) and I am pretty strong but lets face it I am fat. Over the past couple weeks I have looked in the mirror and thought: have I lost weight? Well today I weighed myself and I'm 102.3 KG(little over 3 kg lost). Now I am kinda of baffled becasue my life style hasnt changed that much. I still play the same amount of sports as I used to(around 45min of basketball a day), I still smoke, I still eat some junk food(but not a lot). I am still lazy. I mean I have made no significant changes, heck I cant even think of small ones.

The only three differences I can think of are:
    1. It is significantly hotter(around 35C)
    2. I am drinking a lot more fluids
    3. I am getting a lot of sun(I have a MASSIVE tan)

Now I am ecstatic to be losing weight, but I was wondering why. Can any of you guys enlighten me? Maybe I should make an effort and go to the gym again to speed it up. Any ideas?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I tend to eat less and sweat more when it's hot. Drinking more liquids always helps out too.

It's natural for your weight to fluctuate by a little bit.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well I'm losing weight because food came second on the priority list next to "MacBook." Unfortunately I don't need to lose weight :(

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You certainly do not, mister! :(

Patmian, over how much time did your weight change by 3kg? When I was at a higher weight (I used to weigh about 200 lbs, or 88 kg) my weight used to fluctuate by about 5 lbs (or about 2kg), which is not that much less than this level of fluctuation.

I also think drinking more fluids in general will probably have a very slight effect...not to mention that being out in the sun and sweating and so on uses metabolic energy. Besides which, what are you doing in the sun? You're not just sitting prone are you? So doesn't that burn calories, whatever it is that you're doing?

5. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Its been around 9 days since I lost it. No not prone but everyday activities like, just chilling or playing some sports.

EDIT: Might be psychological but I have also noticed a slight loss in apetite, for example I noticed I am about to go to bed an all I've eaten is 3 slices of watermelon.

6. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

A lot of it could be diet. You said you are eating less junk food, so over time that adds up.

For example lets say you drink 3 regular cokes a day (one regular coke is 140 calories). If you switch that to water or lets say a diet coke which has zero calories then over the course of a week you just cut out 2940 calories.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you burn about 3500 more calories than you take in you lose a pound.

So if you were maintaining your wieght when you cut out the hypothetical coke and then keep the same life style without coke you would lose a pound in about a week and a half.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've seen chubby 15-17 year olds grow into fit (or not as chubby) 19-23 year olds. Your body is still changing and growing.

8. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I was an overweight 16-17 year old, but now several years later I am fit and thin. This was not natural however, I did a lot of exercise and changed my diet substantially.

9. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

I was one of those kids who was quite overweight/obese during middle school and part of early high school, but then I grew so it became that I am a normal weight just mainly by growing and my body changing. So that could be part of it.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was overweight my senior year of highschool. 5'11" and 200 pounds.

I lost 25 pounds by eliminating dairy and wheat from my diet in just 2 months. I lost 15 more pounds via exercise when I went to college in New York City - I started dancing 3-4 times a week and I walked everywhere. I also put on a lot of muscle at this time, so that 15 pounds was a more significant change than one would think.

I still dance and I rarely overeat. I'm very happy with my body. In fact, I've become a go-go boy, male stripper, whatever the hell you want to call me :). My body's earning me cash :D. I'm not bragging though - I have a pretty normal body. Only a 4 pack, next to no pecs or arm muscle, but a damn nice ass and set of legs :eek: :D.

Unfortunately I'm losing even more weight because I'm super sick and I've virtually stopped eating. I'll put it back on when I get well again, though.

But, yeah, if you want to lose weight I suggest dancing (and for at least 3 nights a week, and for at least 2 hours each night - no breaks unless it's for water) and dieting. 99% of the bad food I was eating contained wheat and dairy, so cutting both of those out of my diet effectively made me drop weight fast. You'll be surprised with how little you can eat. Everything has wheat in it, almost, and most things have dairy. Asian food becomes your friend :).

e

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Ok somehow I want to see this but I don't want to see this!

:D :eek: :D

12. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

This is the key.

I eat tons of food, and people wonder how I stay thin. This is it. Just cut dairy and wheat. (Most breads are made with HFCS and Hydrogenated Oils and Milk contains Bovine Growth Hormone :( )

13. imacintel macrumors 68000

It also could be a gland called your Thyroid. It is a gland in your neck, and if it is not working properly it affects your metabolism. Other side affects:

You feel more hytper than usual
    You find yourself shaking.

After this, you may find the opposite like less yper than usual or you start to gain.

14. CompUser Guest

I am almost 16, 5'10" and I weigh 145. I eat and eat and eat and I don't gain an ounce- well one time on a cruise I gained 5lbs. I hope eating so much doesn't catch up with me when I am 40.

I think along with a healthy diet, exercising is key to loosing weight. A bunch of my friends mom didn't start dropping pounds until they exercised. Find something you like to do- running, dancing, whatever.

15. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Do you ever shut up? This thread is titled "Why am I losing Weight," not "I want to hear another irrelevant fact from CompUser about himself."

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

hmmm, should we start a MR skanky pics thread :)?

No need to start fights in here. CompUser was just trying to help.

e

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Youtube is a great tool. Please use it. ;)

*prepares a cup of tea and begins making popcorn in the microwave*

18. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Get your thyroid level checked with a blood test. A low thyroid level can cause massive weight gain. :cool:

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

We've been trying for awhile. At least some members have! :eek: :D

20. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I'm glad the OT person is doing good with his weight.

I have an issue myself with my weight. The issue is, no matter how much I eat....I can't gain. And when I exercise, it begins to drop. I went to the gym for a week, I ate three good size meals, drunk plenty of water, etc....and my weight dropped from 110 down to 103. The doctor says I should be 130 lb.

Worst of all, I've just gone through one of the worst insomnia periods of my life and have become sick and all that. I'm worried that there's something serious wrong with me. :(

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's very possible your thyroid is acting up. One of the sure signs is insomnia and another is increase heart rate even when you're not doing anything. Go back to your doctor and have him run some blood tests. It doesn't sound like things are normal. Stress can also cause the same problems so...