Why America Has Waged a Losing Battle on Fallouja

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 24, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

More business as usual in the Bush administration.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-fg-fallouja24oct24,1,3338027.story

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They will destroy the town in order to save the town...

...to paraphrase some quote from some US military source in Vietnam.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The article is a very long one and I haven't read all of it yet, but the really disturbing part is the half-assed way the administration went about making its decisions to address the dangerous Fallouja situation. The military people in the field were giving the administration advice they didn't want to hear, so they simply ignored it. Rumsfeld short-stopped the military's recommendations and failed to even present it to the President as a option. Once again, the Bush administration proves itself to be horrifyingly incompetent.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Scorched Earth. I was thinking Vietnam as well. Kill them to save them, because that worked so well last time. What a mess. We're doing exactly what Bin Laden said we would. I'm still amazed they are getting away with it.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There seens to be some serious high-level incompetence in running the military. Fallouja, coupled with the missing high explosives in the last few days come to mind. The failure to stop the looting that became the violence in Baghdad was a serious tactical error. The on-again-off-again assault against al Sadr which began with the closing of some newspapers and escalated to full-blown armored assault was mishandled. The disbanding of the Iraqi army was a mistake. The missed shot at al Zarquai when he was hiding in the US-patroled no-fly zones was a mistake.

Not to mention Tora Bora...