Why Apple cannot replace Aqua in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mark88, Jan 20, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I know a lot of people seem to think Aqua may be gone come Leopard, given it's 5 years old.

However, the FACT is Apple cannot replace Aqua without updating ALL of their applications individually. There are certain standard widgets that every application uses, scrollbars, pull down menus, check boxes etc etc. These could be updated quite easily and every app on your system that uses these widgets would show the changes.

The problem is a lot of apps use custom aqua widgets, these are not standard and have to be made specially, you'll see them in the resources folder inside each .app package.

To just give you an example, look in the resources folder of iDVD, there literally dozens and dozens of custom aqua widgets and interface elements. This is pretty much the same for every app, Mail, Safari, iWork, QT....

If Apple wanted to replace aqua they'd have to completely re-do all these custom widgets for each of their applications, not to mention all the 3rd part developers who also use custom aqua widgets.

On top of this, there's the whole Blue/Graphite thing, a lot of apps provide widgets for each style and this is coded into the application.

Therefore, even if Apple wanted to replace Aqua, they couldn't. You'd still have bits of aqua scattered throughout your system, meaning things could look very very untidy.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

And how do you suppose they implemented Aqua in the first place?

3. oceanmonster macrumors regular

While you have a valid point about the Aqua UI I have to disagree. You are right that the UI would not change overnight but it could be transitioned. If apple did change the UI all apple apps would probably initially, third party apps wouldn't. They would release the new UI specs to developers and software creators. And after a few most month's third party app would change to the UI. And the complete transition would be finished by the second or third 10.5.x update.

4. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

er..... OS 9 --> OS X.

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I wouldn't mind a facelift... we'd finally have a unified UI

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If apple bought shapeshifter and UNO, implement them well like they did with CoverFlow, we could have an OS with theme choices...

7. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, true it could happen over time but it would involve a lot of work on Apples part, and a lot of work on developers parts.

Also, I'm not so sure Apple would want Leopard looking so untidy straight away after release, which no doubt it will do unless on the day Leopard is released Apple updates ALL of it's own applications.

At this moment in time developers have ZERO idea about the Leopard interface, we know nothing at all.

8. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

My point was that it isn't as impossible as you make it out to be.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As UNO shows all applications can be very effectively made Unified, with the notable exception of MS Office.

10. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

btw, the problem wouldn't be an issue if Apple updated interface builder everytime it decided to introduce a new widget into it's applications. They don't and so you have this situation where evety developer tries to re-create what Apple does themselves in Photoshop.

11. oceanmonster macrumors regular

If apple would have wanted to change the UI they would have decided to do so from leopard concept. They would have been working hard since the beginning.

but when apple dazzles us with 10.5 they will only be showing apple apps. so the UI will look complete. If apple was changing the UI they would have their software done before release. Only third party apps would look odd.

I also think that you taking the change of UI in the wrong way. Apple wouldn't be changing every thing about it. Only what key components look like.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Actually, this could explain why Apple hasn't previewed iLife '07.

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Actually, Aqua was also changed when going from 10.2 to 10.3. In fact, OS X 10.1 looks very different to Tiger...

14. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about aqua widgets, ie the blue and graphite. Aqua has remained throughout OS X.

15. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

16. oceanmonster macrumors regular

17. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

That's what I was kind of thinking.

18. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

19. MacVault macrumors 65816

Why Apple better replace Aqua...

...because if they don't I will FREEK OUT AND ADMIT MYSELF TO THE NEAREST INSANE ASSYLUM! Aqua is driving me NUTS - it's SO 2001-ish. When I think about how good the UI **COULD** be! Change the UI, Apple! Change it NOW! If Microsoft can do it so can you!

20. iShak macrumors 6502

re-writing code from scratch/editing isn't something new for apple, nor are they afraid to take on such huge tasks ..

when they changed over to intel, from ppc they had to port all of macintosh operating system and millions of lines were re-written ..

as for third party softs, they can always adopt the same policy as rosetta .. maybe

it would be quite foolish to launch os 10.5 in 2007 with UI from mesolithic period .. look at vista .. ms has put so much into their UI .. eyecandy sells!! < thats a fact.

21. Photo Monkey macrumors member

Aqua is already on its way out, or at least how we know it. Just look at iTunes 7. Apart from the scroll bar, what's "traditional" Aqua about it?

22. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Not really anything. The jelly bean scroll bars have gotten a bit...old.

23. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Exactly. They've done it once, they'll do it again. (As you've just said, and invalidating your own point)

24. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I agree that Aqua is long in the tooth.

With the visual effects in Vista and the shiny interface, you'll have a lot more trouble turning switchers unless they can update the interface.

Also, being the glossy-whore I am, I just know that I'll be so sad if the interface stays the same.

25. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Excellent point. An upgraded UI that blows the pants off of Vista (which isn't hard, anyways) will get a lot more switchers