Why Apple Can't Kill The BlackBerry

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 13, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Why Apple Can't Kill The BlackBerry
    Description:: It's official: The stock market doesn't reward companies for original design. The BlackBerry Bold, introduced Monday, is the latest sign that Research In Motion is scrambling to blunt Apple's advance.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

Passante

Ho-hum. Just another "use the iPhone in the title" piece to drum up hits.

3. macrumors newbie

Apple can, but needs to make a 2nd version of the iphone marketed to the executives. Sorta like MacBook vs MacBook Pro. Maybe iPhone vs iPhone Pro that has everything an exec would need.

1. exchange support
    2. outlook and lotus notes
    3. Better email system
    4. Better iCAL system that syncs with outlook and lotus
    5. Easy scheduling interface
    6 More business like rolodex with better options and ability to sync with lotus and outlook files.
    7. Microsoft Office for iPhone
    8. Voice Recorder (for voice notes) sync with calendar and auto transcribe notes
    9. Sync and control powerpoint presentations and keynote
    10.Ability to sign documents sent i.e. budget authorizations
    11. Sync with office filing systems i.e. paper tiger
    12. Push to talk ability for dispatch, warehouse and construction types
    13. More indestructable
    14. Cover flow for word and excel documents
    15. Ability to send to printer via wi-fi or bluetooth
    16. Copy n Paste
    17. Any and everything the Blackberry does and then 50 more things

4. macrumors 604

gkarris

I didn't know that the iPhone was meant to compete with Blackberry (at least to start with).

I thought it was the "Smartphone for the rest of us...."... :D

5. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Forget about Exchange, the article doesn't address one concern with the iPhone. I wonder how native apps will be deployed on the iPhone for corporate clients. I don't think the App Store will work in that environment. Also corporations will probably have apps only available or usable internally in the company. This doesn't matter with Web 2.0 apps of course.

6. macrumors 6502a

1. exchange support

> Coming in iPhone 2.0 next month

2. outlook and lotus notes

> Outlook = exchange. Lotus Notes will come from a third party app.

3. Better email system

> .mac push email, coming in iPhone 2.0

4. Better iCAL system that syncs with outlook and lotus

> ditto

5. Easy scheduling interface

>in the eye of the beholder ... what's wrong with the current scheduling interface?

6 More business like rolodex with better options and ability to sync with lotus and outlook files.

> again, syncing comes next month. Don't know what you mean by more business like rolodex. You don't actually prefer the RIM address book to iPhone's do you?

7. Microsoft Office for iPhone

>Can be provided by MS whenever they want to write and sell the software.

8. Voice Recorder (for voice notes) sync with calendar and auto transcribe notes

>Recorder is easy, probably can be created by 3rd party. Transcribing requires a lot of RAM and processing power ... works okay now on PCs and Macs, probably won't be as good on any handheld. Transferring audio to a PC or Mac for transcription would work better for now.

9. Sync and control powerpoint presentations and keynote

>Already exists. Save an Office 2007 PP presentation to a picture file, sync, you can run an entire PP presentation off an iPhone.

10.Ability to sign documents sent i.e. budget authorizations

> 3rd party app

11. Sync with office filing systems i.e. paper tiger

> 3rd party app

12. Push to talk ability for dispatch, warehouse and construction types

> Jesus, you want a swiss army knife with this too?

13. More indestructable

> whatever that means

14. Cover flow for word and excel documents

> yadda yadda yadda

15. Ability to send to printer via wi-fi or bluetooth

> yeah, okay ... again, a software issue, really DUMB to just create for an exec iPhone

16. Copy n Paste

> coming in iPhone 2.0

17. Any and everything the Blackberry does and then 50 more things

> Oh, does that mean Brickbreaker?

7. macrumors 68000

kockgunner

yeah, now the iphone is trying to be everything. it used to be a simple phone for 'the rest of us'

8. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I'm sorry but the Bold, which won't even be out until August is a pitiful attempt to hold off the inevitable. I heard it has only 1 Gig of memory?
    If you believe in RIM then invest. Personally I'll stick with the 50% increase in AAPL in just 2 months.

RIM/RIP

I thought that Apple announced that enterprise users will be able to load apps via password protected app pages on iTunes just for their company.

9. macrumors 65816

steveza

I would say that as soon as ActiveSync to iPhone is fully tested and proven in an enterprise environment the demise of Blackberry will be well under way. Having to maintain a separate messaging environment for a small number of users (percentage-wise in a typical company) is a major headache. The saving in infrastructure costs and support man-time could swing the debate towards the iPhone.

10. macrumors 65816

As much as I love the iPhone's UI, I think there will always be a segment of smartphone users that prefer a physical keyboard.

11. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

At least for the next few years. But the younger gen will wipe out the physical keyboard in the future.

12. macrumors 68000

Silencio

Phil Schiller made a statement that Apple would provide some sort of mechanism for enterprises to deploy custom iPhone apps without having to go through the iTunes Store, but didn't provide any specifics. Perhaps they're still figuring it out, but no doubt there will be a solution available.

Now if only Apple would provide an ActiveSync-like mechanism for synchronizing contacts and calendars with its own Mac OS X Server product! Or hopefully Kerio will come up with something like that for Kerio Mail Server, which is what I really prefer to use for email and collaboration services.

13. Guest

liberty4all

When will iPhone get Push-To-Talk (PTT) Nextel Style?!

When will iPhone get Push-To-Talk (PTT) Nextel Style?! This is a nice differentiating feature that I loved on my iDEN phone... Palm Centro already has PTT on AT&T's network, WHY NOT IPHONE?!:mad:

14. macrumors 6502a

Stupid article.

RIM's been around for years, the iPhone isn't even a year old (and third-party apps have yet to be officially supported. They will be in June.)

A more compelling article about why Apple can't kill BlackBerry would point out that it would be some kind of fruit-eat-fruit botanical cannibalism!

15. macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Its rapid to type on. I really have difficulty seeing where people have a problem with using it. I amaze people at how fast I can type on it. If I can do it anybody with half a brain must be able to manage it!! Its by far the best text input implementation I have used on any device and I have used a fair few.

The next time I read that it is difficult to type on Im going to disintegrate with disbelief then reform and hunt the person down that said it!!!! lol :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Plus the microSD slot which holds up to 16GB and can be hot swapped.

You do realise that stock was at $200 on January, don't you?

Sorry, that's just stupid. RIM will remain the corporate tool of choice because most IT departments have embedded costs in RIM servers and don't give a f**k if your browsing experience is nice or not.

Instead of relying on things you 'heard' you might want to do a bit of research. And I mean proper research, not bloody blogs.

17. macrumors 68040

elppa

The Blackberry offers more than just email, proclaims RIM on their Built For Blackberry® pages.

In fact it lists a whole host of exciting 3rd part applications developed using their developer tools. All 33 of them.

Now that compares well to the zero available on the official iPhone platform, I'm willing to bet by close of day one the App Store will beat that number.

18. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I take it you missed the $150 million dollars they're using to set up TPA development then?

Oops.

19. macrumors 68040

elppa

No, I didn't miss it, I have come across this already. I'm not completely ignorant as you like to make out. The derisory “Oops” is unnecessary. I don't see how it adds to constructive debate.

To suggest we focus our attentions on applications that may or may not be coming to the Blackberry sometime in the future strikes me a hypocritical when you condone other MacRumours members on another thread for mentioning the almost certain to arrive within a month 3G iPhone in a discussion concerning the Blackberry Bold.

20. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This post and story are typical.

A writer in the know is giving their opinion as to why the iPhone won't take down a certain market via trends and facts. And in typical fashion the thread is filled with posters that don't want to believe it, would rather bash the writer, and would rather put the iPhone on some pedestal that neither it nor it's creators want to be on.

Now that the hype is gone and the flaws are out the world is starting to wonder if the phone was that much of a breakthrough outside of it's glossy UI, and fact is, it isn't. It will be, but it isn't now.

I hope that we stop using vaporware to support the iPhone. Apple has made announcements and plans for announcements, nothing more. We can't be sold on June 9th as being the day the 3G iPhone with full App Store and thousands of software titles comes to our lives. It's be really really nice to finally get a real phone from Apple though. :rolleyes:

And I am sorry to say, the hardware on these phones is very desirable. I hope Apple has a really kick @$$ iPhone in the works when it does finally come out. Between the HTC Diamond, Samsung Instinct and the Blackberry Bold, it may be a hard choice to leave a much faster network and phone insurance for EDGE, and no insurance.

21. macrumors 6502

YOU are the one who needs to do your research and stop purposely being an antagonist on these forums. Everyone knows you are a shill for some competitor or just an unabashed iPhone hater.

There have been tons of reports of Companies, Medical Research Staff and University faculty switching over to the iPhone in anticipation of the upcoming 2.0 software (and for the disappointment in their Treos and Blackberries.) People AND companies are both excited about the iPhone's upcoming Enterprise features.

And you are just full of it and yourself. Do you know the meaning of Vaporware? It means when something is advertised quite a bit by the company but is still in the concept stages with little hope for release in the near future. The new iPhone IS already in manufacturing by all reports (far from concept stages) and the 2.0 software has been released in Beta and also will be released to the general public within a month, so again, not vaporware at all.

Actually, re-reading both your posts on numerous threads, I can't believe how transparent [you are] and obvious this was... Digital Skunk and BongoBanger ARE the same person! And he's here for no other reason than to cast Fear Uncertainty and Doubt among this community. Don't believe me? Read their posts and tell me that they've ever been objective and they're not the same person... (BongoBanger also just called the iPhone and 2.0 software Vaporware in another thread. Hmm, what a coincidence. The only two people in the world that doesn't know that the software has already been released in Beta and that the hardware is at the factory.)

22. macrumors 6502a

chagla

most primitive function is missing...:eek: wow! i'm sorry, i wasn't paying attention. it must be a special smart phone!

object of desire - http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/

23. macrumors Core

when did the iphone start competing with blackberry for the corporate marketshare?

i mean, sure, it would be nice, but i think apple are just trying to get their foot in the door at this point still. slowly expanding.

24. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Proof?

Me? BongoBanger? Why you flatter me sir. :D ;)

WOW :eek: for those that are actually reading this is what many like me (fence sitters) mean. They have the hardware, Apple needs to get this hardware.

25. macrumors 6502

that's exactly what they're doing, there is not even an attempt at displacing RIM now, and there should not be. They need to get a bigger marketshare before that happens, and continue to improve. This is a good start, but for all the whiners, this is the first iPhone, cut it a little slack.