Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martieda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Roma
Please, help me to understand why does make eliminated the dedicated GPU AMD Radeon from their 2015 Macbook Pro's, which they still sell!! i just bought one and i thought it was packed with AMD Radeon but i just checked the specs and it seen that it just comes with Intel Graphics... please help.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
It was kept around as a low end alternative to the new all USB-C touch-bar 15".
The answer as to why they don't include AMD graphics in the lower end model depends on whether you want to be cynical or not.

If you want to be cynical, then it's because they're trying to shoehorn people that need discrete graphics into a more expensive SKU, thus boosting sales.

If you're not cynical, the likely answer is because they don't want to keep too many separate SKUs around. They may also have trouble sourcing the older parts.

Reactions: archi_130w1

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Because the new 15" touchbar model is the same price as the previous M370X model and has a faster GPU.

Reactions: paaj

The_Nautilus

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2016
Depending on the Apple Store, you may be able to find the one you want in stock. I was able to get a loaded 2015 edition with the M370x. Almost got caught in your predicament with an online custom order. I also considered getting a refurb model that included the 370x.

paaj

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Because the new 15" touchbar model is the same price as the previous M370X model and has a faster GPU.

This. Doesn't make sense to offer two similarly priced models. The 2015 is a 'budget' option while it lasts.

They didn't eliminate the AMD 370 option, they only kept the entry model which didn't have the option to begin with.

paaj

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Oh well, you an probably still return it. It is the holiday season after all.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
If the Iris Pro integrated is so bad, why do they keep it?

What applications really need a dGPU and how much does it help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.