Why Apple needs to make a Cell Phone ... RANT

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AhmedFaisal, Mar 4, 2004.

1. AhmedFaisal Guest

So it was time for me to say goodbye to my faithfull old Motorola Timeport cell and move on to new shores. Having the advantage that one of my friends owns a cellphone store I asked him if one of those evenings after the store closed I could take a look at some of the top brand ones........ So I did. I tested about 10 phones (all of which were iSync compatible mind you). Unpacking the box 10 times revealed a manual bigger than the phone itself..... ****, I want to phone, not learn a new language! First thing, I try to hotsync them, guess what, EVERY DAMN ONE ****s up the vcards from my Apple adressbook in one way or the other.... Well I give them a chance, lets see about how they handle the phone numbers. Using my friends SIM chip I tried to one click dial several numbers out of the adressbook. NONE worked properly, and they were entered correctly. Now considering that ISPs use the carrier signal to spam us with MMS and SMS shouldn't they also transmit useful information like what country/time zone I am in and given the location each phone number in my adressbook is in supply it with the information it needs to dial the numbers correctly and should the phone (amusingly called "smart" phone) be smart enough to figure it out if the numbers were entered correctly? Nope. Then the interface. Now there might be some technosavvy folks out there that need every single one of those useless functions the phone offers, I however DON'T and I HATE digging through a manual and thousands of submenus to find the functions I need. At least allow me to modify the interface of my phone to only make the functions I need visible and easy to find for crying out loud! Nope, my "DUMB" phone can't do that either..... How about MMS and SMS, "I" for one don't want that crap, and while I can get a service without being able to send it, it still doesn't mean that people can't send me that ****, shouldn't the phone be able to block that spamming crap if my ISP isn't capable of doing it (because then they couldn't spam me either... and that would suck!)? What was the conclusion of this endeavor? Well I went to the cell company, with my old motorola and told them to stick their new phone up their backside and just give me a SIM card and some extra free minutes. This was just the interior part, about the outside, with fuzzy little buttons that I need to break my fingers to be able to dial, I am not even going to talk about that... So now I just use my iPod as an adressbook while I wait for a phone that finally does what I need correctly..... Apple please deliver us from this madness!
    Cheers,

Ahmed

2. TheT macrumors 6502

Take a look at the Nokia Symbian ones again (newest one is 6600)... it is highly customizable, and in my opinion ease to use. Addressbook and iCal sync perfectly for me... Apple won't make a phone, why should they? Sure they could make it easier, but couldn't they make everything better? :)

3. AhmedFaisal thread starter Guest

That is exactly the point...

Looked at the 6600, its got a camera, don't want that... Also I don't like the looks of it. The have a business looking one but its got no Bluetooth, bummer.... And yes, that is the point exactly, they could make it easier. A cellphone that does what I need like the iPod without a manual bigger than the phone itself. Oh well, I will stick to my Motorola Timeport.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

4. TheT macrumors 6502

You'll have a hard time to find a good, new phone without camera... I don't know why they do it, I guess because the kids dig it. But if you don't need one, ignore it. If you're not allowed to have one (i.e. NDAs in companies), then you'll have to keep looking hard. Another good one with bluetooth is the 6230 (not yet available)...
    Oh, and I would also like an Apple TV, home stereo, car and fridge! :p

5. AhmedFaisal thread starter Guest

Well TV & Home Stereo definitely have room for improvement although on second thought there is at least AMPs out that are not filled with useless buttons, the Einstein is one of them, but it is pricey. But TVs, no ****, the plasma my old folks picked up the other day is a configuration nightmare... As for car, yeah, I bet Apple could turn iDrive from BMW into something that deserves the i in its name. As for the fridge, how could you improve that?
    Cheers,

Ahmed

6. AhmedFaisal thread starter Guest

Will take a look at a HP iPaq next thing...

Pocket PC seems to be fairly customizable when it comes to its interface and there is a CF card out that will add mobile phone capabilities to it. Lets see if that works decently...
    Cheers,

Ahmed

7. jennyjennydz macrumors newbie

Hehe. You siad symbian.

Apple phone - bleh. What a waste. Phones are for phone calls.

8. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Which is exactly what you'd do with a Apple phone!

:rolleyes:

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

off topic, but if apple made phones ;) , i guess it would be very close to how sony ericsson t616/610 looks, may be the buttons would get virtual, like ipod mini, but the otherwise smooth curves,size,the way screen blends with the rest of the body would very much carry the apple design philosophy...and yah..the colors available would become better...
    cheers

10. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Why is it that in america the camera phone is a huge deal? You'd think since Japan has been dealing with it at least a year longer than we have that'd we just look at what they did. But, everyone is all antsy-pantsy about that stuff. I could have taken a naked picture of you a long time ago with something that has been out there for a while, like a webcam.

11. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

yah but taking a webcam to dinner with you and pointing that under a table is more difficult,..or obvious...:D....nah i am kidding..but thats the first thing that came to my mind when i read ur comment...and i m not that dirty minded too...so..:D

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if apple built a phone it would have mms and sms and all the other bells and whistle of all the other phones. what features of the phone do you actually have to look in a manual to use? they aren't that complicated.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

yea, but do you want to walk into an apple store just to buy cds and have the cell phone reps all yelling at you to buy their products?
    alternately do you want to see apple stores not buying or not promoting the cell phone well because it requires a plan and a provider? do you think kiosk workers are going to know how to market a phone like that?

its a nice idea, but i think the logistics are such that a company fighting for marketshare and winning in digital music is not going to turn around and take the inevitable loss on a cell phone.

14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I reckon Apple could potentially make a really good phone. They seem to have design under their belt nicely. Nokia phones have look generally stupid in an attempt to be innovative. Samsung have poooor interfaces IMHO.. Right now I'm using a SE t610 and loving it for the most part.. but everythig could be done better.. its not as clean as it could be.. The T630 looks rad++ IMHO.. funny how its been released in Australia, Europe and Asia but not the US (well as per the websites anyway..) So yeah.. I just want a elegant looking phone either in the form of something predominantly iPod whiteness, or a nice matte black like that titanium nokia.. the 8910 or whatever it's called..