Why Apple?Why?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Compile 'em all, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I have a 2005 Powerbook G4 with a scrolling trackpad. A couple of days ago I got to use my brother's MB. I found that it has this really cool two-finger right click feature. That is, when you tap with two fingers, it acts as a right click, really nice. What I don't understand though is why apple didn't release any kind of driver update for powerbook/ibook owners to enable such a feature.

There is a software called iscroll2 that enables such a feature but only for older Macs with a non-scrolling trackpad. And as far as I understand, it is a software issue not a Hardware one.

So why can't Apple just role out some update to enable such a feature on scrolling-trackpads?. Is there a technical reason why this is not possible?. Any input is highly appreciated, Thanks :).

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i tend to think its a hardware issue, otherwise, the upgrade of OS should solve it already.

3. seanf macrumors 6502

This may be tehnically possible, but why would they want to provide another reason for customers not to buy their latest and greatest products?

Sean :)

4. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

C'mon. you think people will upgrade just to get the two-finger right click!.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sure, why not?! ;) :p :D

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It all adds to the feature count. The MacBooks/MacBook Pros are better to live with than the iBooks/PowerBooks, and this is part of the reason why.

In fact the two finger click is one of my favourite features. I hate Winblows laptops where you have to awkwardly stretch your finger underneath at an odd angle to reach the right click...

7. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I too love the two-finger trackpad functions and wonder how i lived without them. I would have thought it was a software issue, but maybe the trackpad in the MBPs is different - it is certainly sensitive enough to discern three fingers from two.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The earlier PowerBooks that work with iScroll all have ADB-based trackpads (yes, ADB!) The newer ones that don't work have USB-based trackpads. It's more likely the creator of iScroll is just too lazy or doesn't know how to write USB drivers (not entirely hard to believe, perhaps he was a career programmer back in the beige Mac days, but now does something else so doesn't keep updated on stuff...)

What I want to know is, is there a way to get this to work on other ADB PowerBooks (all the G3s and stuff).

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Wow I had no idea some PB's used the ADB, but I guess it does make since... for the n00bs to Macs, are the newer people to Mac... 1999+, ADB = Apple Desktop Bus, i believe. apple used the ADB connector for modems, kbs, mouses, etc.
    I can check for you, dan... getting my PB G3 lombard working this week. :)

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Some iMac G3s still had serial ports hidden inside their plastic shells.

11. seanf macrumors 6502

No, I think it's just another small incentive on the list of reasons to upgrade.

Sean :)

12. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Just use this............ http://iscroll2.sourceforge.net/

works like a charm

13. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

not thinkin', not carin' :rolleyes:

14. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Did you actually read my post that you quoted or read the first two lines in the site you linked to :rolleyes:.

"I have a 2005 Powerbook G4 with a scrolling trackpad."
    "Scroll2 is a modified trackpad driver that adds two-finger scrolling capabilities to supported pre-2005 PowerBooks and iBooks on OS X 10.3 and up."

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You just don't actually read posts before you reply, do you? :p

I know Sidetrack (which isn't a two-finger system) works on both USB and ADB trackpads. So it *could* be done. As observed above... looks like the project team just doesn't have the time to invest in it. :(

(EDIT: Sorry, apparently I bring up the caboose of the flame wagon! :eek: )

16. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I think I lost a couple of IQ points after I read his post ;)

17. noaccess macrumors 6502

I know for a fact that the 2-finger right-click feature will be enabled for 2005-version iBooks and Powerbooks in Leopard. It is a software issue.

I've seen this on someone else's computer running 9a321. It was a Powerbook, the same version as yours. So, don't worry, you'll have that feature a couple of months from now :)

18. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This is great news, thanks for the input :).