Why Applecare is a ripe off.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by furious, Nov 22, 2006.

1. furious macrumors 65816

furious

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20061120/115301.shtml

I believe this to be very true. Which is said. Personally I feel for me Applecare is not worth it. For Some it may. Especially if you plan on keeping the product for the whole time of Applecare.

Yes the tittle is ment to be Trolling:p

:edit:

I am interested in peoples view of this.

2. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

You are totally right, on average it must be a rip off cos Apple will make a profit on it. But it is a bit like insurance. Insurance is also a rip off, cos the insurance company makes a profit. But it does protect you against unknown large expenses. It's a matter of taking a risk or not.

In Europe Apple care is more of a rip off cos by law you have more than 1 year warranty.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

For portables and Rev. A and B products, AppleCare is a must in my opinion.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Cab you explain that last part to me?

5. reflex macrumors 6502a

The minimum warranty for consumer products in the European Union is 2 years. I don't remember when they changed that, but it's quite recent.

6. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

Yes I can.
    It differs a bit between countries, but here in NL the law states that the product should have a reasonable warranty. So for an expensive laptop that is way more than 1 year. Also, as far as Rev A goes, factory defects should be fixed for a reasonably expected lifetime. So that is years for a computer.
    You may have to take it to court, but you are very protected here by law.

Edit: reflex is right, minimum 2 years, but longer for expensive gear. Reasonable.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

While every aftercare service usually works out in favour of the seller of such aftercare, Applecare is a ripoff in the level of service provided versus companies like Dell or HP, where paying the same or in some cases less will get you an uplift to a decent level of on-site support in the case of failure and the equivalent of Applecare might even get you accidental damage cover too.

Having said that, the extent to which I have been forced to use Applecare over the last~ 8 months means that as far as keeping my Apples running goes, it's likely I'll get my money's worth - not that I'm happy about that in any way of course.

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Er, not here in the UK it is not.

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I don't feel that Applecare is a rip off at all.

It offers many features over the standard warranty which at least for me, an education customer is very worth the extra £50 it cost me above the products price.

Such features included telephones support, longer warranty, and of course uplift. That is, if my machine breaks down, as I am not near an Apple store, or AASP, Apple would arrange a courier to come and collect my machine for me.

Furthermore, as I am not near an Apple Store or AASP, on occasions where my Mac has caused me problems, I have only had to telephone Apple support who arranged for a courier to come and collect my machine, and at the same time, swap it with a new one. This has happened with an iMac and MacBook in my case.

I don't think it is a waste of money by any means, and if I were not an education customer, having to pay full price, I would still pay for it.

David

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

All insurance is a ripoff. However I've had an HD replaced on Applecare. Which probably sees me slightly out of pocket but if a screen or a logic board had gone then I would've had a dead Powerbook on my hands with it being uneconomical to fix it.

On balance I'd probably still get Applecare.

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Just an FYI, Applecare is not an insurance product. It is an extended warranty.

12. seanf macrumors 6502

I haven't had official confirmation myself, but people have been told by Apple that they no longer do a collect and fix service in Europe and any hardware issues have to be dealt with at an Apple store or at a Authorised Repairer.

Sean :)

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

It's a gamble that I always take and hope I don't need. I've not used it yet. I agree with Sesshi about the poor level of service provided when compared to other company's schemes, or even compared to AppleCare USA... here in the UK we have to pay to telephone them :mad:

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I know what Applecare is. With both insurance and extended warranty your betting on something happening in the future.

It's galling paying for both but most people still do.

15. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

I've had AppleCare on the last 5 Macs I've bought and in all cases it has been worth it because the computers have broken after the first year (several times and expensive repairs - like new logic boards and many new screens, and in one case a brand new iMac was exchanged for a 2 year old one that kept breaking). I've also been able to sell the computers for a better and higher price because they still had remaining warranty.

16. carman63 macrumors regular

Once I'm into about 3 months with my new iMac, I'll buy AppleCare. Same with the next computer from them. At least Apple lets you buy it after-the-fact. I had it on my older (G4) iMac, and it saved me a large repair bill.

Most items I don't buy extended warranties. With cell phones, PDAs, other small electronics that are going to be handled in a less-than-delicate manner, I definitely do if it's offered.

17. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You don't have to pay to call them providing you are within your warranty period or have Applecare, unless you are calling for software support. In any case, it is no different to what it is in any other country, including the USA.

David

18. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I didn't know that. What's the 0800 number for AppleCare? (not the store)

19. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

If you are 200 miles away from a Apple store or AASP, they have to offer an uplift service.

I recently got one without any problems with an iMac. If they stop offering this service, I would contact trading standards in the event of having my machine repaired. It is an entirely different situation if you live nearby an Apple store or AASP.

David

20. reflex macrumors 6502a

All insurance is a ripoff until you need it.

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

There are quite a few near me (I live in Warrington and work in Manchester). It's actually preferable for me to drop the machine off as I don't trust carriers to get it right (my workmate sent off a 12" powerbook to apple that went missing...in fairness to apple they replaced it with a fully loaded 15" though).

22. reflex macrumors 6502a

I didn't know the UK considered itself as part of the EU ;)

23. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

And even then they will find a way to rip you off. Excesses, market value etc etc they will always find a way to not pay you what they sid they would.

24. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Well, considering we have been a member state since 1973 I don't really understand where you are coming from.

David

25. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Do we use Euros?

I know where he's coming from :)