Why are all the companies trying to get you off the phone for support?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imacintel, Sep 22, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

[rant]

Why do they have to do this? I find it so annoying How they are always saying before you can make your selction on what you want to do, ohh, go to our website for support. I think this is being very rude and unfriendly of the companies. The worst company is creative. You have to go down so deep into the site to even find a order phone number.The best are probably the banks, they are not always trying to get you off the phone.

[/rant]

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Because the cost of helping someone over the Internet is less than 10% that of helping them over the phone.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed. Companies are looking for ways to cut their customer service costs, and web-based solutions seem to provide them with one way of doing that.

Whether it will cost companies enough customers to reverse the trend we have yet to see...

4. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

5. riciad macrumors 6502

I like web-based solutions for customer service. Fantastic if you hate making phone calls like I do.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Of course you also have the automated voice systems that try to determine what you need and respond. Sounds like a human, but with the "brains" and temperament of a computer.

Computer: Please say what your problem is.

Me: My money wasn't credited in the right month.

Computer. I think you said "My monkey was a crackhead in a fight club." Is this correct?

:rolleyes:

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

See, I find them to be a giant pain in my ass for two reasons. First is that I have a dial-up connection at home, which makes applet-based chats nearly impossible to use, and second they assume you're using Windows.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If it's a simple question or something like a billing problem, I much prefer to handle it via e-mail. It takes me a few seconds to shoot off an e-mail, and they get back to me when they've had a chance to look into things. Much better than waiting on hold forever.

But for interactive things like troubleshooting, I haven't had much success with Web-based solutions like chats. They usually end up not understanding what my problem is and tell me to call their customer service line. :rolleyes:

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Especially if it's your internet connection you're having problems with.

10. riciad macrumors 6502

You're right there I suppose, but I'm one of those people who will go to extreme measures to avoid making a phone call to the extent that, if possible, for example, I sign all contracts as Pat rather than Patricia so if none of my daughters are available to impersonate me I can rope one of my sons in instead.

11. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

The only company that I find has helpful online support is Apple. Creatives it HORRIBLE.They list 4 different battery problems with your Zen. All the same answer. And it doesn't even help me!

12. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

My favourites for online support are Microsoft, I have emailed them two fairly easy questions about xbox live recently, expecting them to have a check sheet of easy answers to give me. Both times, a day or two later I got this:
    and this
    Sometimes it is just easier to speak to a real person on the phone, but ironically enough I have tried to get technical support from MS for our volume licence subscriptions over the phone, and got about as far with them as I did with those emails.

9/10 times for me google groups is the best way to get help with things technical, and these forums of course. The thought of dealing with most official tech support channels fills me with dread.

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I had this problem with apple, and being on hold when i'm on a pay as you go mobile cost me £20 in one day. In the end I rang them up and got through, and asked them to ring me back because I was short on credit and i'd wasted £20 already. They said they couldn't do that, so i told them to stop lying because one of their representatives had done it earlier that day (which to be fair, they had) . Well that shut them up, and they rang back in 5 minutes. As a result, 2 hour phone call (which didn't solve anything incidentally, apple support was appalling) was almost entirely paid for by them;)

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Not really. It's a pain in the ass trying to explain something to an incompetent telephone operator.

15. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Many companies appear to have decided that customers prefer low prices to having quality support. I don't see signs of that trend changing. 15 years ago it was very different.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

YES. Especially when I call charter (our ISP) to report an internet outage. Nothing is worse than "Please visit our website for several self help options!" when your internet connection is down. If I could visit your website for self help options, I wouldn't be on the phone, would I?

17. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

You see, On creative's site it says this:

Q: Why won't my battery charge?
    A:Try charging your battery.

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    To be fair, one of my colleagues came over last week to ask me to have a look at her iPod since it wasn't starting and she assured me that she'd charged it the night before. Nope... no charge whatsoever... turns out that she'd plugged it in but not turned the socket on. Doh... so telling someone to be sure they've charged it isn't entirely dumb

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Indeed. In the past 10 days, BellSouth has had DNS problems, which they don't consider problems because it isn't an outage, even though you cannot get to various websites without the IP address.

At one point, things were working slowly and I got to the report a problem page and when I selected the list box for year, it said 2002 and 2003, even though the page was supposedly updated in 2005. Of course, the reason I'd rather use a website is because I don't want to talk to "Ryan" in Bangalore and go through the whole assessment only to be told that there is no problem because the network status page says that there is not.