Why are Apple's Intel portables non-upgradable?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Unspeaked, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

So why has Apple chosen to make their Intel based portables non-upgradable, while leaving the processors in the Mini, iMac and mac pro removable?

I can't think of a good reason; if their strategy is to force people to move to new machines sooner rather than later, why not lock the processor on all the models?

There's only one theory I've come across, and I don't buy it: the fact that as notebook computers, the MacBook and MacBook Pro need the processor more securely attached than a desktop model would.

So, any other ideas as to why?

2. khaos34 macrumors newbie

Maybe they're following standard laptop practices. Almost no laptops have their processor upgradeable.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple chose to get rid of the ZIF connector in order to save a couple millimeters in height for the MacBook Pro.

That little bit of thin costs you future upgradeability.

In the future, we will probably see Apple pushing Intel for even thinner portable packages for the CPU and other chips.

4. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Do you think that will lead to non-upgradable iMacs and Minis?

5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Space constraints. AFAIK if the chips arent soldered to the Logic Board, the MBP(or MB) would have to be atleast 20% fatter.

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Its possible, the old G3, and G4 iMacs were not upgradable. Unless of course you are lord of the solder!

7. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The tray loading iMacs were weren't soldered, right?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The original iMac G3's could have their processor borad replaced entirely. The G4 requires a full logic board replacement.

9. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yes and no. They were soldered onto a daughter card and that was inserted into a slot on the MB. So you could buy a new daughter card with a faster processor and insert that. Kept my ol' 233 Bondi BLue kicking for a few more years.