Why are Belkin HDMI-DVI cables $99?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Jan 28, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Belkin ethernet cables costs $19.95 too... when my local neighbourhood store sells them for like $1.

Belkin is an overpriced brand, same as Apple.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apple aren't that overpriced. $99 for a simple cable is crazy when others are selling the same thing for 80% less.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

images.jpg

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Thats a bargain. I mean audioquest wants 775$ for their 6m cable.
    But in all seriousness, in digital connections it doesn't matter. It either goes through or it doesn't. Not to much middle ground and you only see that on runs longer than 100 feet.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Damn you're annoying. Blah blah blah Apple is crap blah blah blah that's all we hear from you.

You know what, I agree that some things Apple do seem money-grubbing but they're a business, they exist to make money and as long as people are buying the products they'll continue to make money.

What annoys me is that you seem to think complaining about it on an internet forum is going to make a bee's dick worth of difference. It's not. If you've got a complaint take it where you'll actually get something done. Call Apple and have a flogging whinge because we've just about had enough of your trolling b*tchy posts.

I don't care if you're fishing or you're just trying to have a joke, it's p*ssing me and a lot of the other members on this forum off.

So shape up or ship out iWoot but stop complaining here because you're not going to get a solution to anything.

Right, I've said my piece, that's enough.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Where do you get that from that post? I think he is saying that you are buying the brand and you will pay more for that brand. Its like buying Coke over soda, you are gonna pay more for the brand name. How is that blasting Apple?

10. butaro macrumors regular

11. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think he's referring to "Belkin is an overpriced brand, just like apple" aka "Belkin is an overpriced brand. Just like Apple is an overpriced brand" aka "Apple is an overpriced brand." <-- now that's not necessarily true.

and although not in this thread, but i think Chundles is referring to posts from other threads as well.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Fair enough but this is not the best thread to prove a point.

It is well known tho that Apple will jack up the prices of their own goods just to make an extra buck.

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. I am glad I am not the only one with these sentiments. Since you have eloquently expressed by views, I will just chirp in an 'Amen' from the choir.

14. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

try spell check next time?

i dont think "the facts" are in debate here, but rather the attitude. with all that negativity, posts become trolling

plus, "the fact" that apple jack up the prices of their own goods isnt even true most of the times anymore.

15. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Please don't insult the Queen Bee's:p
    That is a good one

16. ryanide macrumors 6502

buy HDMI from these guys

http://www.pacificcable.com/HDMI_Cables.html

Good cables, fast service, reasonable prices. If you have to buy locally, Radio Shack has semi-ok prices on HDMI- everyone else is just ripping off everyone because it is the latest high demand item.

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Rather than that whole offtopic personal attack you can't dispute my fact can you?

Why would Apple do anything if you call them?

Posting on an internet forum to generate legitimate awareness amongst the customer base, wow that makes a lot more difference.

If one more customer learns of Apple's cheapskateness and it costs them one sale more power to the consumers.

If you think this is a forum where we fart rainbows and eat Apples all days think again. This is a forum. You have your opinion, I have my opinion. The ignore list exists for a reason. Use it.

18. Queso macrumors G4

I guess HDMI is like SCART. You can buy cheap and cheerful, or you can get your super-certified gold-plated extra-pure copper one.

May as well say a Mercedes is overpriced because it costs more than a Toyota. Some people put value on the quality of the product, whether it does the same job as a cheaper brand or not.

19. cblackburn macrumors regular

*sigh*, here we go again *puts on his noob slapping gloves*.

The cable that you get from Belkin is a quad shielded cable, it will also probably be Oxygen free and almost certainly be 24 carat gold plated. The reason this is important is because of an engineering term called "matched load". But I'm getting ahead of myself.

When you apply a voltage to a node in a citcuit the classical model is to asuume that the applied voltage is instantly present at any other nodes connected to it by wire. This is an acceptable model for real life because the velocity of propagation for copper based wire is approximatles a third of the speed of light and therefore the effect is instantaneuos.

We also assume that the copper wire is lossless, that is it has no resistance. This however is not true and there is a characteristic impedance associated with the cable which can be derrived from the inductance of the wire and the capacitance from the signal wire to the earth wire.

When one is transferring high bandwidth signals, DVI is approximatley 150Mhz if memory serves, this is no longer an acceptable model. The voltage should be treated as an almogmation of sine waves propagating down the copper.

When the propagating wave meets an inconsistancy in the characteristic impedance of the circuit then there is a reflection. This reflection super imposes itself ontop of the incoming signal and distorts it greatly. This is further impacted by the face that as the reflected wave reaches the source it is reflected again and causes further distortion.

However, when there is a matched load present at the termination of the transmission line there is no reflection at all. For there to be a good connection between the source and the load all the physical connections between the connectors must be *perfect*. This is not possible with normal materials because oxide forms on the surface of the material and forms a high resistance boundry and hence many reflections.

This is why the cable from Belkin is so much more espensive, the gold plated connectors and sealed/chielded cable all help to improve signal fidelity. However...........

All of the Above is applicable to an analogue system, however this is a digital system. When you have a digital signal either the signal is recieved or not, so the quality of the cable does not affect the quality of the system.

So, in conclusion, if you have an analogue system buy the most expensive cable you can afford. If you have a digital system buy the most expensive cable that you require to maintain a reliable connection.

I have attached a few traces I obtained from a Time Domain Reflectometer showing what happens when there is a short circuit, and open circuit and a matched load.

Chris

Attached Files:

20. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Wow- To confirm, you are saying, in essense, is buy whatever HDMI cables you want because the signal is digitally transmitted? If so, brilliant...

21. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

22. cblackburn macrumors regular

Yes, if the cable that you are using is giving you a clear picture with no artifacting or tearing and the audio does not skip then there is little or no benefit to getting a better cable.

The exact oppisite is true for analogue sytems like component or SCART where the cable is everything.

Chris

23. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Thanks for the confirm. Noted for my next purchase.