Why are Bluetooth Peripherals So Expensive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ppc_michael, Sep 29, 2005.

1. ppc_michael Guest

Apr 26, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why is it that peripherals operating on Bluetooth, like the Apple wireless mouse and keyboard, for example, are so darned expensive? I mean, I could tolerate spending a few more bucks considering that the device has to perform all the functions that a "wired" one does plus modulate and transmit a signal. But I mean, prices tend to be around twice that of a wired version. Can this be justified?

Also, I'm looking for a bluetooth keyboard for my PowerBook so if anyone has suggestions, it would be appreciated. :)
  2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Bluetooth vs. wired... let see... price of Wire. $2... Price of bluetooth chip $30... hmmm...

I don't mean to be rude or anything... but there is advantages to bluetooth... that a wired mouse doesnt offer:

1.) 0-30ft distance from computer vs. 0-29in. away from computer

2.) easier to move... dont have to drag a wire around.

3.) More portablity... dont have to tie up a wire everytime you want to take your mouse anywhere.

4.) Looks... no ugly wires showing.

The only major downsides are price and batteires.
  3. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    ..because they know people will pay.

If people didn't buy the bluetooth accessories the manufacturers would drop the price to a level where sales took off. I guess the current price point offers a good sales to profit ratio. :rolleyes:
  4. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    bluetooth is way more expensive than just the USB wireless alternatives. This is because until very recently only high end computers came with bluetooth, so anyone with a bluetooth enabled computer probably wouldn't be concerned about spending alot extra for bluetooth peripherals.

Even though I had bluetooth on my computer I went with a USB wireless keyboard because I couldn't justify spending an extra $70 or so just to save a USB port and not have a little receiver on my desk.
  5. widgetguy macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2005
    Nowadays they are getting a lot cheaper, i have notice a huge price drop in the past 2 months i just brought a brand new bluetoother motorola ear piece for my nextel phone for like 35 shipped