Why are Democrats afraid of "The Daily Show"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You may've heard that The Daily Show is coming to Ohio this week.

I just heard on our local news that they invited a bunch of Ohio candidates, including a lot of Democrats, to be on the show, and everyone declined.

Hence, we're getting LeBron James instead. :rolleyes:

Are the Democrats' campaign managers that uptight? Jon's audience is usually quite receptive to Dems and liberals, and Jon makes a lot of them look good. Are they all afraid of saying something stupid and blowing the election?

Sounds pretty gutless to me.

Oh BTW, the TV station that said no candidates wanted to be on The Daily Show? They also said, "Sherrod Brown will be joining us in the 6:00 hour." So it's not that the candidates don't want the free air time, they just don't want to be on Jon's show. :confused:

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

probably because they think Stewart's brand of humor doesn't play well in Ohio. Or they're afraid of how dull they'll appear next to him.

the cardinal sin of politics...being bad on television

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

siight...i wish stewart would run for president.

on a related note man of the year SUCKED they took an excellent premise and screwed it over with that whole espionage trick.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It might be because The Daily Show isnt actually a reputable (or even real) news program.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

i trust the daily show more than the majority of modern media they're willing to call out political bs no matter who is throwing it.

6. Motley macrumors 6502

Personally I'd say it's more reputable than most news shows (BTW that's a sad thing for network news). And you'd be surprised by the cultural relevance of the show. If the Dems were trying to reach the young voting group (that small percentage that actually vote) they'd definitely want to show up on the Daily Show

Besides there's always this article (which is again a sad thing for network news).

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

umm, yeah, i've read your points. and i understand what youre saying.
    but the politicians wont be on that show because its COM-ED-Y (i.e. Clowns, jokes, circus atmosphere).
    I mean, they can be on that show if they want
    but i dont think it will help them in the polls.

8. imacintel macrumors 68000

Because he makes fun of them for millions of people's sheer laughter. They hate the Americans laughing, because democrats hate fun, but more likeley, its the Americans laughing at THEM

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as someone who has studied comedy, i will point out that you apparently don't know the first thing about it.

and have you even watched the daily show?

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the past, Bill Clinton and Al Gore have each been on the show...and they just has Prime Minister Musharref a few weeks back. So politicians do appear on The Daily Show.

Just nobody who is in or actively running for office.

As far as how they're treated...as I said, Jon's usually quite respectful, and he asks more insightful questions than some of the "serious" news shows -- questions designed not to impugn the guest, but to give them an opportunity to present a thoughtful answer.

I think the Democrats just wimped out. I can understand the Republicans not wanting to appear. Ohio Republicans -- Bob Taft, Ken Blackwell, etc. -- are not exactly anxious to answer questions lately. The mention of Blackwell's name on last night's show actually drew loud booing. And I don't think it was from trick-or-treaters.

Actually, I think this makes Ohio politicians look bad. Jon comes all the way out here, and nobody will even appear on his show.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes, and a prime example will be the political talk about Kerry's "joke."

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's some risk in appearing on the show, after all the Daily Show does have the Seat of Heat. They might be tricked into giving a thoughtful answer that may actually sound like a policy, which will be then hammered on for the rest of the week by the various GOP mouthpieces.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The Daily Show is funny, and Ohio is all serious ****ing business.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You think Bill Clinton appearing on the Arsenio Hall show way back when playing saxophone with the band didn't help him?

McCain has been on the program, as has Leiberman, and fairly recently (past year or so I think). Probably a few others too that I can't think of from the top of my head.

I think the politicians that won't show up are the ones that won't be able to answer what Stewart would ask them.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Please tell me you're kidding.

They don't want to look like idiots though. Which, yeah, is pretty easy. He's usually kinda soft on the people who actually do the interviews, even the ones he's made fun of in the past and you can tell he just wants to tear into them. But he can be tough sometimes too. Pretty cowardly of them IMO, though I can see why they wouldn't. Same with the Reps.

And it's political satire. ;) It's still true, but put into comedy form. Do you think Rush or O'Reilly, or Franken for that matter, are anything but entertainment. Rush has even called himself as such when under fire, but still presents himself as a "newscaster" and O'Reilly pretends to be nonpartisan. Stewart calls it entertainment all the time, because that's what it is and we know it, and he makes fun of Dems all the time.

Leno and Letterman make political jokes all the time, but I don't get my news from them either. :rolleyes:

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You've studied comedy? A degree in Comedy. now thats funny.

a BFL, bachelor's of Fine Laughter.

Is that and actual university or is it one of those get-ur-degree-at-home things.

and yes i watch the daily show as much as i can.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

gutless? democrats? no!!!!

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow, your lack of respect is despicable.

19. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Hit the nail on the head. Jon would actually ask them relevent questions about tricky topics and call them out for ducking. Since the Dems *are* gutless bastards (as mentioned in above posts) they avoid him like the plague.

To actually have a position (even one based on fact), and then have to stick by it (ala Kerry :rolleyes: )is an anathema (sp?) to them.

20. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I wouldn't say that he is especially kind to Democrats as a rule. The respectful way he treated John McCain probably demonstrates that. The strong message I get from everything Jon does on the Daily Show is that he hates the fierce political partisanship agitated by politicians more interested in the furtherance of their careers than bringing about some sort of consensus or cohesion to the cultural battle taking place in the US. I think he hates this more than the actual policies of either party.

He would give anyone who transcends the strict ideological battlelines of either party a pretty warm reception methinks. If the Democrat candidate is unable of doing this, then that'd pretty much explain his refusal to appear. Shame really. I love seeing John rip people apart from the empty, egotistical shell of human beings that most politicians are.

21. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Because the questions asked on the Daily Show would require critical thought. Most politicians can't be bothered without an appointed questionaire to free them from such strains.

Seat of Heat is an example, though I'm sure it's not rare for Mr. Stewart to ask a random question through the short interview.

22. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I don't find his statement any more disrespectful than what he's been getting from members on this board. In this case, I took the exchange as the following:

Him: I'm not sure a politician would want to waste time on a comedy show, especially since it wouldn't help him in the polls. (aside: Exactly. You've got one week left in your campaign, it's a tight race. Would you go on a comedy show with a viewing demographic of young adults that statistically never vote, or do you go to towns where the race is close and target true voters?)

Response: Whateva, whateva. You don't know jack about comedy. I STUDIED it. That's right, that means I have a monopoly on what's funny and not.If you disagree with me, you sux0rs. (aside: Seriously, wtf? You "studied" comedy so it makes his opinion on why a politician wouldn't want to go on the show invalid? Crazy.)

Him: Studied comedy, eh? I guess you showed me with that comedy degree of yours.

Response: WHAT! How dare you make such a remark. Don't you know that Jon Stewart is infallible and everything he says is gospel? Since you don't agree with everything we want, we're labeling you a troll. Stewart '08 r0x0rs! OMG! LOL! OMG!

Seriously, guys. Calm down. I may not agree with obeygiant politically, but that doesn't make what he says any more invalid. His point is quite accurate in why the politicians don't want to appear on the show. The race is down to the wire. They have precious time left and need to invest that time wisely. Appearing on the Daily Show may garner a few votes from the sparse liberal college students that would vote. Otherwise, their time is better spent among folks at town halls who indeed vote.

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

Yes, well thanks for the recapitulation. What it's really about is a lack of respect for the art.

Oh, and anybody who thinks the Daily Show is all about jokes and the circus isn't really paying attention.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You're funny. Not funny like a clown, funny like a troll.