Why are football (soccer) fans so stupid!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R.Youden, Nov 11, 2006.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

In the UK we have had three incidents in the last week of players and officials being hit by coins thrown from the crowd. There is an F.A. Cup game on at Newport and the 4th official has just been hit on the head and he has just been carried out of the ground on a stretcher after lying on the floor for nearly 5 minutes.

Why are idiots spoiling the game for the majority? By the time we finish fans will have to be searched all any loose items removed. Grow-up, please!

2. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If you think it's bad now, you should've seen what it was like back in the late 70's and 80's. That looked bloody scary. Really, two or three isolated incidents over a couple of weeks isn't that bad (though still a disgraceful thing to do) considering the logistics of it all (100,000's of people going to grounds all over the country, drinking, flared tempers, etc...).

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I know what you are saying but why do people do this! One day soon someone will get hit in the eye and someone's career will be over.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

One of the players struck recently had a narrow escape on that front, it hit him on the cheek just below his eye – Claus Jensen I think? That could have been very, very nasty.

That's right, although there have been a flurry of high profile incidents over the last week or two. Hopefully it isn't going to become a more common occurrence – those responsible need to be prosecuted and barred from football grounds. There's no place for it and no excuse whatsoever.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    So who will be the first to call for cash-less grounds where you load up a card on arrival so don't need cash... and then they can 'ban' coins.

There are a few stadia in Netherlands/Germany with those card systems - what a PITA for the most part...

Someone at work the other day was at a game where some numpty threw his phone onto the field in a fit of pique.:rolleyes:

6. Queso macrumors G4

It's going to end up with even more CCTV cameras on the crowd and a few high profile prosecutions. Not such a problem for the upper league clubs, but the increased policing costs in League 1 and below is going to constrain the money available for player wages and hurt the standard of football.

BTW don't for one second think that this disgraceful behaviour is representative of football fans. The people throwing coins are just thugs and the sooner they're banned from games the better.

7. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I know that is not typical of all football fans (I try and watch my team as often as possible but I live some 250 miles away!) but it is endemic of our society. A few years ago when Hull City (my team :) ) played again Bristol Rovers (where I live) my girlfriend had a water bottle taken off her because it was an offensive weapon. I pointed out that if that was the case what about peoples shoes, and that the real reason for taking the water was to make her buy more water from the shanty hut in the ground.

8. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Our local police force always has their elite camcorder unit out in force when City play. Apparently, they usually prefer to film wrongdoers and deal with them after the match rather than make arrests during the game, because they feel that doing so might create a 'confrontational' atmosphere. So if some idiot fancies a bit of racist chanting or threatening behaviour, chances are he'll be able to carry on until the end of the match and Mr Plod might speak to him later about it if the mood so takes him.

People have been ejected during the match for not having a shirt on, though. It's unbelievable, it really is.

Indeed – a lot of clubs are already facing crippling policing costs for their matches as it is and with extra officers, CCTV and the like, charges are only going to increase. And of course if they're lucky enough to draw glamourous higher-league opposition in one of the cups they'll likely face an increased bill to cover the higher attendance, so this traditional source of extra revenue for lower-league clubs is being eroded.

Ultimately, higher costs to the clubs are going to be passed onto the fans through higher prices at the turnstiles and for food, drink and stuff, making following your club even more expensive than it is at present.

Yesterday's incident, as described in the OP, took place in Wales during a match between two Welsh teams, played under the jurisdiction of the Football Association of Wales. So it's not just England that's rubbish. ;)

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Soccer (football in all other parts of the world) fans are psychotic (not all, but a hell of a lot of them). Rioting, killing, maiming, throwing rocks and bricks, shooting officials and players. All over a bad call or play. Anyone doing this should be shot in the face. No excuses, no questions, just a bullet in between the eyes.

That'll teach these people to be a bit civil.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Don't go giving the police any ideas.

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'm a steward at my local Football (I'm not going to say anything else, that is the only word for the Beautiful Game) and I tell you, its mad. We have a fairly small team (Gates of about 7 to 9 thousand) and its insane the people things will say and throw when their team is loosing, and even when their team is winning.

I enjoy it tho, keeps me in a job as well I guess. :D

13. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans; Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You've not met some of the rugby players I have, then. ;)

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Danny Grewcock is a gentleman? Are you mad?!? :eek:

16. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Did anyone see the FA Cup game between Barrow and Bristol Rovers? In the first half a young Bristol Rovers player suffered a broken yaw after a perfect left hook from a Barrow defender and then the Bristol Rovers goalkeeper was almost hit by, yup you guessed it, a coin that was thrown from what looked like a section of crowd full of young children!

With the incident of the player being punched I would like to know why these incidents are not handled by the police? If I walk down the street and break someone's yaw I will get banged up, what makes the football pitch any better? If anything the punishment should be worse as they have a responsibility to young children and spectators to set an example. On that note did anyone see Wayne Rooney mouthing off at the ref in the Blackburn vs. Man U game yesterday? I know he got booked but it is not right that he gets away with it. If you go to a Sunday league game and watch the U12's the language towards the ref if terrible. I know it comes from all walks of life but it must be an influence towards young kids.

I am only 23 but I wonder when I have children what sort of society they will grow up in? I am pretty laid back about most things but this really worries me...

17. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I remember about three years ago watching city play Lincoln. After about 80 minutes a Lincoln 'fan' decided to climb over towards the city fans in the East stand and have a social chat with them! About 10 PC Plods started to chase after he so he ran over the seats. He was a rather large chap and he put his foot between the back of the chair and the fold up seat. He got his foot stuck and couldn't move so the police just sat there and left him stranded in the midle of an empty block of seats for another 10 minutes until the end of the game! Quality police "Nice work boys" to quote a cartoon Police chief!

18. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I honestly wonder why this kind of thing doesn't happen more often in the states. I'm watching the most violent game of them all (American pro football) and only rarely do you see violence in the stands. Maybe because they're getting their fill of it by watching what's happening on the field...who knows?

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Because you don't get the same travelling support as you do in the UK. I've been to more NFL games than UK soccer games and while there are away fans, there are rarely as many and for the most part, the jibing is good natured. Trash talk, yes but seen as such.

In the UK, there's often a large 'away' crowd since most stadiums are, at most, a few hours apart rather than up to a couple of thousand miles - and putting aside tickets for the travelling fans is a matter of course. In the US, the seats are generally for the home fans unless someone scores a single game ticket or goes through a crowd.

You do still get idiots though - look at those Cleveland fans who threw bottles a few years back, the Philly fans with their snowballs and that old courtroom in the basement of the old Linc

20. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Is American football violent? I have only watched a little bit on TV in the UK and it has the image of big fat guys running into other big fat guys with loads of padding so it doesnt hurt and the only training they do it lifting the right arm to take the pills and swallow water. I know that that view is probably very wrong and i hope you dont take it the wrong way but I dont see violence, only agression. Now if you watch rugby (union or the far superior league) you do see violence but that is all part of the game and the players will all go for a drink together after the game because they have respect for each other. Maybe that is what is missing is football.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Very wrong :rolleyes: but yes, it's controlled aggression rather than violence. I watch the NFL religiously and rugby less so and they're probably similar in terms of the level of physicalness in the game. The main difference is that tackling is very different. In rugby, it's more about pulling people down. In the NFL, it's a combination of that and collision. The collision aspect is why they have the helmets and the pads - interestingly, if you go to the NFL Hall of Fame and look at the early history of the game, it's not so different from some of the light padding that modern rugby players wear.

And they're not all fat... the linemen are big but they use leverage more than hitting. The linebackers/safeties on defense wouldn't look out of place on a rugby field in the slightest - they're big but no more so than the Scottish rugby team who I had the pleasure of drooling over over lunch the other week.

22. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

well, it's a little different on TV, though I see what you're saying. Television IMHO doesn't quite give you the perspective that seeing it in person does. On TV, you don't really see the guy sprinting full-speed 20 yards across the field and running into the other guy (who's also running full-speed) without even thinking of slowing down. I mean, on TV you see the collision, but you don't really get an idea of how fast they both were going when they hit. It's brutal.

but yea, big fat guys slamming into each other...that's pretty much it. The scary thing is, the biggest, fattest guys probably run faster than either one of us. I've only seen one pro game in person (many college games, though), and I honestly wondered how some of those guys managed to get up after some of the hits they took.

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

lol, Barrow for ya.

However, I must disagree with your Rooney comments, for one thing it was a stone wall pen (Not that im a United fan or anything ;) ) and I don't think thats anything like as bad as the Chelski players surrounding the ref, or the Arse players brandishing fake cards at the ref. I feel these are things that need to be addressed much before we stop one singe person shouting in the refs face.

However, you have seen nothing until you have seen Millwall fans. When they came to Carlisle United, we all thought it surely couldn't be as bad as everyone said, like their reputation would arrive before they did. However, we were very wrong (I kid you not) there was not one of their 'fans' came to enjoy the game of football, they were all, every single one of them, Thugs. They were fighting with us (Stewards) and the Police before they got into the ground. What did the Police do? Arrest them? Nah, they broke everyone up and took them into the ground... where they caused more trouble. It was 'kin mad.

24. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

That is true. I suppose the only reason I picked up on Rooney was because it was on TV at the time I was posting the message. I too agree that the behaviour of some of the Chelsea players has been terrible and it is just as bad. What I find interesting is how in rugby if the ref makes a contoversial decision he gets the two captains together and explains his decision and then they get on with the game. At some of the bigger games the ref is 'miked up and fans can listen on a short range radio! Imagine that in football!

I take it that you are a Carlisle fan. What did you think of Bridges? Hasn't really done much at Hull (although he joins a long line of strikers that havn't done much at city!) apart from score a great goal in his second game.

25. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I am. Was devastated when he left, judas. Just when the window was closing and we thought he was gonna stay, off he popped. Nice to see him rotting on the bench at the moment.

Did great for us, just a little bitter really. Not as bitter as I am with Paul 'I'll always be a Carlisle man until Preston come and offer me more money' Simpson tho. But oh well.