why are Mac commercials so lame?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I keep wondering... Don't you think apple could get many more "switchers" by having commercials that actualy SHOW what macs can do? I honestly think that merely displaying expose, dashboard, and all that cool stuff would get a ton of switchers.

Why are apple ads so vague and weird? "Imagine the possibilities..."

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I agree with you somewhat. Apple's commercials are innovative, just like their machines. However, I think a lot more people would buy from the "wow" factor if the commercials showed some of the cool things a Mac can do.

3. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

All the Apple commercials are for iPods, except for one Mac commercial.
    I would be cool if the commercials actually displayed a Mac in action.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've been watching the old keynotes (y'know, being new to all this Mac malarky I want to appreciate the culture that comes with it) and Steve does love to 'show off' his adverts. However, yes, they're all incredibly lame! Oh well, the machines aren't, so I'm happy - but I do think they could do more to attract switchers. But perhaps vast numbers of people using Mac's isn't on Apple's radar, there are benefits to being relatively small.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I agree with you, ero87. While I don't think they are "lame," I definitely do think Apple should actually show off what a Mac is capable of. A great commercial would be one focusing mainly on Front Row and what it can do. A big seller in my opinion would be the Mac mini. A lot of people would see how small the computer is and instantly think "wow, that's awesome! We could put that in our living room..." or something to that effect.

6. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Absolutely. I'm sure Apple realizes that lots and lots people would want to buy a Mac if they saw some features like this. The question is, why don't they step up to the plate and do it?:confused: :mad:

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
  8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

What was the point of creating two threads for the same topic.. just with;

mac <--> apple ?

9. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Budget

I work in a Marketing company and I personally think the reason why Apples commercials look abit boring is because they simply have no budget for the Television commercials. I am not saying that Apple has no money. Im saying that even without TV commercials, iPods sells like pancakes, that is why Apple can afford not to spend too much on TV ads because TV ads are probably one of the most expensive channels of communication. The reason why they only advertise iPods is because that is their main money generator along with iTunes and therefore it may be worth just to show a ad on tv once in a while.

my 2 c

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I think the intel iMac commercial is genius. Its just enough to incite the viewer's interest. I believe as soon as the entire line of macs go intel we will be hit with a huge ad campaign that makes Bill gates c#@p his pants.

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Could be worse. Jeff Goldblum could still be narrating them. ;)

12. emaja macrumors 68000

Or Richard Dreyfus.

They need to bring back the guy who did the classic Mac commercials. I think he does voiceovers for Visa currently. Of course he does a lot more, but that is the one that comes to mind right now.

13. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

I'm a newbie here and wannabe mac'er. I'll hopefully be buying a mini this summer.

I think apple's ads are lame. I just got done playing around with my friends' G4 the other day and just by surfing the web and doing a little photoshopping I was amazed at how easy and intuitve OS X is.

I've been using M$ for years, I've used apples before in both in school and professionally. I think the last mac I actually used regularally was a G3.

The commericals should try and show the "WOW Factor" as in WOW a computer can do that! Or WOW it's really that easy! I think you'd get some computer newbies to jump in head first with OS X their platform instead of Windoze.

Personally, IMO is someone hasn't bought a computer by now after being bombarded with internet advertisments on TV (Yahoo, Ebay etc) and seeing that almost every "brick and mortar" establishment they visit has a website. Are they ever going to "give in"?

I think the problem with computer "virgins" is they'd go with Windows because its the most popular, show me one person who doesn't know what Mircosoft is, it's a household word now a days.

Another factor would be a person new to computers would enlist the help of a friend/family member to help them purchase a computer that person probably doesn't know what OS X is so again they'll go with one of those plain jane beige PC boxes.

An awsome commerical I'd like to see apple do is: Have an Imac in the box, show it being unpacked and plugging in two plugs, the powercord and the enthernet cable. Then show it browsing Ebay, Yahoo or maybe even video chatting with grandma. That'd seal the deal for newbies. Think about it most people think of all sort of connections and plugs when they think about hooking up a new computer.

Anyhow sorry for the long winded post. :D It's one of my firsts and just wanted to get my point across. :)

14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

15. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

Definetly not lame.. I haven't seen that commerical yet but she's cute. :D

16. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

perhaps they should take a page from annheiser-busch and make a "real men of genius"-type ad.

17. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i just saw the commercial. it's quite lame, and definitely not how you get people to switch.

18. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I don't know what anyone would expect from Apple when it comes to advertising, but I am certain that I am not the only one who enjoys every Apple ad I have ever seen. Even if I hated Mac's, and I once disliked what I thought about Apple computers, I really have always loved the ads. The advertising didn't cause me to buy my first Mac, but I think they made me wonder what the Apple of 1983 was up to back in 1999. If I be the only one here to do so, let me go on record as saying that Apple ads let others know that the world of Mac's is the place where different is better, where thinking is easier when it's different.

19. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Ellen Feiss is cute.

I think Apple doesn't need commercials that show off the OS. They have Mac users to do the showing, and we can always tell potential switchers to watch Keynotes. :D

20. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

shes SOOO High in that commercial. its hilarious. just look at her. lmao

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Steve Jobs should do a commerical

Keynotes make great commericals. Perhaps Jobs himself could do a 60 minute commerical rather than Ellen chick. Come on, bring Steve in a commerical showing what you can do with a Mac.

22. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Apple's marketing is seriously weak.

I mean, it would be so much more effective if they put out a 5 minute commercial demonstrating how to use the computer. Maybe an infomercial would be better. Afterall, only the really cool products are featured in informercials.

Anyway, ero87, you must be in advertising. I can tell by your insight that you know a lot more about branding and marketing than the lame firms Apple use. I wonder why they just don't use your talents for their next campaign. So, what advertising company do you work for?

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

apples ads are targeted at apple users to get a "tehehehe result" which i think is a mistake.

24. HughJ macrumors regular

i think that Apple adverts are actually very clever, there is no product placement (the products speak for themselves) essentially they are showing a lifestyle rather than a specific product and even jaguar has adopted the same type of avdert, nothing is actually mentioned about the car not even the price..again a lifestyle, that alone will inspire people to visit the website...again very clever

How many times have you seen an advert for a PC vendor and switched channels? information overload methinks