Why are modern cartoons so lame?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 11, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I remember the classics. Tom and Jerry, Looney Toons, Pink Panther. All great slapstick silliness and fun.
    But nowadays they try to be clever and cute. Even politically correct???
    But damn, I miss the good stuff. And they don't run them anymore on regular airwaves television.
    I refuse to get cable until I can choose the channels I pay for and local channels for free.
    I remember one where this dog was on stage and did various ethnic and nationality bits. Nowadays it would be EXTREMELY politically incorrect. But man, it was freaking HILARIOUS. Then there's "Oh Belvedere! Come heah' boy!"
    Making fun of the south. That dog and his chivalrous southern master. Classic.
    I guess I saw it as pure satire. Some people don't. Kind of sucks.

2. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Thats because everyone is so sensitive these days.

You never even see Speedy Gonzales cartoons anymore because broadcasters are afraid that showing the cartoon would be insensitive to hispanics. :mad:

I liked the old Looney Tunes cartoons. Even the WW2 era where they depicted Japanese as squinty-eyed characters. Nowadays, if you see them, they would be heavily edited.

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Its been a very rapid decline I think. The cartoons my generation watched as kids (I'm 20, so we're talking mid to late 80's into the early 90s), still have a decent following, I mean if I'm flipping through channels and I see a transformers (original, not any of the crappy spinoffs), voltron, or GI-Joe cartoon, I'll stop and watch. And what about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? A cartoon with such a following that it spawned 3 live action movies (admittedly, the third one sucked, and we actually thought it was cool that vanilla ice was featured in the second one..go ninja, go ninja, go!). Yet even TMNJT has been redone into a crappy, new cartoon...Kids these days don't know what they're missing...

4. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    Looney Tunes DVDs

I have a cure for your malaise....

Warner Brothers just released a collection of classic Looney Tunes cartoons. One, the premiere edition, has 28 cartoons and little else. Don't bother with that one. The other, the Golden Edition, has 56 of the best cartoons that you'll ever see. But that's not even the best part - the Golden set has all kinds of documentaries, behind-the-scenes info, screen tests, pre-Mel-Blanc bugs bunny, music only tracks, etc, etc. I found all of the extras fascinating and insightful. Get the set - it will entertain you for years.

and for now...
    ....that's all, folks....

MFK

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Some of the cartoons on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network are pretty good. Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff girls, even RugRats. There's also Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. On the other end of the spectrum you have such modern classics as South Park and The Simpsons. Overall I'd say we're living in a fairly good era for cartoons. Definitely better than the '70s and '80s. All I watched back then was Looney Tunes (made in the 40s and 50s, I think)--not junk cartoons that were being produced at the time, like Scooby Doo and Hong Kong Phooey.

Edit: Ah, oh I see--you want to see this on *network* TV. Yep, you're right--pretty lame stuff there. But remember that Looney Tunes were originally made for movies. Network TV cartoons have always been pretty bad.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I read someplace that Speedy Gonzales is almost a national hero in Mexico.

7. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I totally disagree. modern cartoons are so much better than what I saw as a kid. For the kdis, shows like sponge bob squarepants, the fairly odd parents, and a host of others are intelligent, interesting, well written and much better animated. looney tunes was great and all, but they basiclaly used the same story line over and over again with different characters (sometimes the same characters in a different location). The best part is that adults can enjoy a lot about the modern cartoons too because they make references to all sorts of things that the kids might not get, but it doesn't affect their enjoyment of the story. The enw cartoons have sight gags, slap stick, witty banter and real discourse goin on in them. I think they are much better for kids to watch, much more educational, less violent in many cases (cats, dogs, mice and other animals beating on each other and blowing each other up in every episode is pretty violent compared to the kdis oreiented new ones overall where its not as common for a character to get hurt, and when violence does occur, they often show the consequences nowadays)

When I go back and actually watch the old cartoons, I find them severely lacking in many cases. GI Joe is just horrendous to watch, TMNT is pretty painful too. I still have a soft spot in my heart for thundercats, but its really not that good. The best was looney tunes and the like, but like I said, they got really repetative I see these new cartoons and I think to myself "wish we had that when I was a kid".

Whats more, there's a lot more variety today. So many of the japanese, etc shows have come over. Some are for adults, some are for kids, some are in between, and there's a lot of good ones, some thought provoking ones, and admittedly, some really horrendous ones too.

Rememebr when everything was made into a crappy cartoon in the late 80's/early 90's. The MC Hammer cartoon, the new kids on the block cartoon. Those things looked like they were animated at like 3 frames per second. Even the The quality of stuff has gone up exponentially with cartoon network and nickalodeon really pushing out some quality stuff. The cartoons on TV are so much better than the sitcoms that on, generally speaking.

But I will say this, for the most part, the remakes of old cartoons suck.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    could it just be that you guys are just older and your tastes have changed?
    the kids these days dont seem to be complaining.

9. RHutch macrumors 6502

The older cartoons are way better. I do like to watch some newer ones occasionally, but I would still prefer Looney Tunes any day.

There are some from the 80's that I thought were good that no one has mentioned. I liked the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon and Masters of the Universe (which has been redone, but I haven't seen the new one).

I don't care if the Looney Tunes used the same story line and gags over and over. It's always funny. They are classics; people are still enjoying them more than 50 years later. Do you think that 50 years from now, people will be discussing how great Yu-Gi Oh and Dragon Ball X were? (Forgive me if I have the titles wrong.) I doubt it.

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I bet they will, perhaps not those specific ones (though I personally really like dragon ball z and its actually one of the more popular cartoon world wide, its got like 3 or 4 hundred episodes, so its done very well, its much more popular than you probably think, and is based on a whole line of comics that were also immensely popular). I think more people will look back on modern cartoons as really good shows, rather than entertaining cartoons, which is all the old ones are (in a very simplistic, overgeneralized way). Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the humor in looney tunes, much more than the cartoons like GI Joe and TMNT that were my favorites when I was a kid.

If they current shows don't last, I think it will be because of several reasons. First, they tend to be very topical nowadays. Looney tunes was pretty universal in its themes, and also, the new stuff is very much couched in modern tastes, whereas again I think looney tunes were probably more universal in appeal. They're still funny because they're timeless. Many of the modern shows are very specifically centered in present and that may not play well in the future. However, there's a difference between quality and timelessness. Give me the new stuff anytime, I'll watch the old stuff when I want the nostalgia.

just my opinions of course. I can definltey understand where many people wouldn't like much of the new stuff. Everyone has different tastes.

Don't remember dungeons and dragons too much. Is masters of the universe he-man. that show is pretty awful if you go back and watch it now (have you seen the I love the 80's bit about it, freaking hilarious). the new version is just bad though. I couldn't watch it.

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'd have to take sides with the strider42 angle. Many cartoons these days are better than the real-life efforts
    Futurama - SciFi
    Simpsons - Family comedy
    Duckman - Detective parody
    Spongebob Squarepants - erm, Kitchen sink drama.

Stuff like Pink Panther and Popeye were dreadful, I even remember as a kid how seriously bad they were. Not remotely engaging on any level, they were only on TV to stop us drinking bleach, or something. I watched a repeat of Hong Kong Fuey and couldn't believe how terrible it was. Grape Ape, The Jetsons, The Hair Bear Bunch.... SHEEeeesh!

Sure Tom and Jerry, Daffy Duck, Bugs, Wile E Coyote, did make me laugh out loud, sometimes in fits. But they were before budgets were considered more important than the artform.

It's sad. I'm still waiting for DVD versions of Duckman and original Ren and Stimpy. Still sad.:(

ps .. Kids, don't drink bleach!

12. RHutch macrumors 6502

I did not and am not saying that today's cartoons aren't popular today. My question is will they be so well-remembered 50 years from now. And I still doubt it. And you even offer reasons why they might not be popular later. You are exactly right about the universality of Looney Tunes and the narrow, "now" focus of some newer cartoons. In 50 years, I would still bet more people talk about/remember Looney Tunes than any other cartoon from now.

13. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

two words...

[well i guess that was already my two words...
    so two more...]

family guy

[yeah i know theres no new ones :( ... but good gosh darn it... that is the funniest ****3 EVER]

14. Opteron macrumors 6502

Bring back the senceless violence of
    Ninja Turtles
    Transformers
    Inspector Gadget (to a lesser extent)

Futurama is pretty good.
    I also enjoy Yu-Gi-oh (I think that's the spelling:confused:) but that's just because I enjoy card games, eg: Magic, The Gathering.

15. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

2005, my friend. 35 new episodes.

There is a god.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

have you checked out the anime thread? Plenty of good cartoons in there. :)

As for modern American cartoons, I'm not terribly impressed with too many of them. Spongebob saps IQ points, as does Ed, Edd, and Eddy. The Teen Titans show isn't too bad (the one episode I've seen), but the one new cartoon I've seen that is really good is Samurai Jack. I was randomly flipping channels one day and got captured by a Samurai Jack movie. I came in at the very beginning, and didn't move for the whole 90 minutes. It was awesome. Saw an episode of the show after that and wasn't disappointed.

As for cartoons growing up, I was of the Transformers generation. But my favorites were Galaxy High (which I've seen recently and is just as good/bad as most anything today) and Kidd Video (which is about the same, but very very 80's), and Dungeons and Dragons (which is actually really bad and painful to watch).

PS - Droopy is the man. Dixieland Droopy is the best cartoon in history.

17. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i think i have to change my pants...