Why are not all the Bezel UIs used?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benjamindaines, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/BezelUI/Images There's a lot that just is never used. Why? Some of them I think would be useful.

2. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I don't seem to have this folder...
    I think it's to do with future updates of OS X etc.

3. knome macrumors 6502

knome

i don't either. Did you install a gui shifter like "shapeshifter"?

4. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That's really weird that no one else has this folder, it's on every Mac I own. Did you type the path into the "Go to folder" prompt?

Here's a screen capture:
    [​IMG]

5. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yeah, uhm, er... mine's located at (10.4.8):

/System/Library/LoginPlugins/BezelServices.loginplugins/Contents/Resources/BezelUI/Images

And if you're referring to those images in there, which may or may not be the same as to what you're referring to, I believe they are all used in various hardware/software combinations.

EDIT: You should use an attachment rather than a hotlinked file... that way it's nice and thumbnailed.

EDIT 2: I have twenty images in the folder I listed above, so mine is in a different location as yours.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do have it in the same location Benjamin gave -- and I don't have anything like shapeshifter -- but the BezelUI folder for some reason is not visible from Finder by default. So I had to terminal to the location and then "open ." But after this, I was able to see it.

It contains bezel images like the icons that flash when a bluetooth mouse or kb is acquired or lost, or when you adjust sound. For instance, on my iMac, there are only a few that don't work, and I don't think they're applicable -- such as the contrast one (not applicable to LCDs) and the Door Ajar one (not applicable to anything but a PM or MP). I think on the right mix of computers, almost everything in the folder gets used now....

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've got a total of 20 images, most of which I've seen. Do you have more?

Attached Files:

8. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The Airport in / out range one never shows up on my laptop, and the ajar one never shows on my G5 even when I open the door as illustrated.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Mine's in the same location and I have 28 files in there. Like mkrishnan said, with the right combination of hardware you'd see those bezels. I have some very interesting ones related to the Apple Remote on mine even thought I can't even use one.

I don't understand the ajar one at all.

10. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

The "ajar" image is for the clear air baffle panel that is in the G5s.

Also, there are images for *bluetooth* keyboard/mice from Apple and the Apple remote.

The rest are really for sound, image brightness/contrast Airport.

What is the big mystery? There is only *one* version of Mac OS X produced that contains *all* bits for *all* Apple hardware that version supports. So, of course, there will be images for all the stuff you may/may not have on your particular Mac.

Mucking around in the System folder leads to problems later on when you try to install a security or system update. Stay out of there, there are no user-servicable parts inside /System.

11. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

This is correct, I was initially mistaken. I, too, have 28 images in mine and have the Apple Remote images. Though I've never seen them when using it on my MacBook.