Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Having owned both and being able to compare - why are the 12" macbook speakers better (louder, less shrill, better frequency response), than the 15" retina?

Both 2015 models..

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Frankly, the 12" rMB speakers are some of the best I've heard on any laptop. No idea why? I suppose they just adopted some sort of new technology on that platform before the others. Frankly, they're so good that I'm surprised Apple doesn't make more of a stink about it.

Then again, the quality of a laptop's speakers is probably pretty low in most users' criteria for purchase.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Frankly, the 12" rMB speakers are some of the best I've heard on any laptop. No idea why? I suppose they just adopted some sort of new technology on that platform before the others. Frankly, they're so good that I'm surprised Apple doesn't make more of a stink about it.

Then again, the quality of a laptop's speakers is probably pretty low in most users' criteria for purchase.

That's probably true.

What's really funny though, is when I have Sibelius running on both - and the 12" is louder on playback and sounds better, than the much bigger/more expensive 15".

I guess Apple is known for holding back certain upgrades..maybe this is one..

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
or not so much holding back, but moving forward. the 12" design is newer. the next retina macbooks will (hopefully) see some of that newer tech (audio, keyboard, etc). we'll know soon enough (or eventually. whichever comes first :D )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.