Why are the new ipod nano colors restricted to certain models only?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prady16, Sep 14, 2006.

1. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

I am surprised this question was not raised in any of the threads i read regarding the ipod nano 2g. I guess all of us just accepted the fact and sat quietly.

Why only silver color nano for 2GB model?
    Why only black color nano for 8GB model?
    Why not just have all colors for all models? I want a 8GB nano, but blue colored...I see no reason why apple would restrict the colors to only certain models?
    Do you?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, instant status symbol. They did the same thing with the MacBook.

3. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

To make more money!!!

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

inventory reasons, i guess. i hate it, actually. seems you ought to be able to get any color in any size.

especially the 8gb.. i mean, if i'm paying $250 for 8gb of space w/ none of the features of the full size iPod (same price, but 30gb of space and video, games, etc features).. then why can't i at least get the color i fancy?

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

This has been raised in other threads. Common sense would dictate that color choice should be unrestricted, but plenty of costly market research goes into these options and the public has to live with the decision (at least until a future change may occur months down the road).

6. prady16 thread starter macrumors 6502

prady16

Its just a matter of coloring the aluminium case right?
    And there is no difference in the sizes of the cases for the 3 models.
    Hence they should be able to do it for other models too
    But for some WIERD reason, they are not!

7. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Because they can.

Apple obviously makes completely random, uninformed business decisions based on gut feelings and whatever will make the users the angriest.

What else could it be?! :confused:

8. jagolden macrumors 6502

jagolden

No, not wierd at all. with the current capacity/color line-up, they only need to stock 6 models. If all capacities came in all colors, they'd have to stock 12 models (and surely there'd be some slow movers/color in every capacity).

As stated earlier, the status symbol of the Black8 will lure many to buy it just for that.

Just bought a 2 (silver) and a 4 (green) at the Apple Store. They are very nice.

As for me, what I was born with is big enough.

9. Fotograffiti macrumors member

It stands to reason that they found out Black was VERY popular and so by making the biggest, most expensive one black alot of people will be inclined to buy it. When people see it they automatically know it is the 8GB model because only one is black, and it becomes like a status symbol to some. Also anyone who wants color (which would be the majority of people who didn't buy the black) can't buy the lowest model so they are forced to upgrade to the 4 GB model which of course costs more. The 2GB is their entry model and is there to serve the purpose of being low cost. Many people who buy it don't necessarily care about what color it is and buy it for the sole reason is that it plays music and nothing else. As far as the availability of the silver in the 2GB as well as the 4GB, I think it is probably a popular enough color that if people want the silver one, Apple would not want them to have to choose a 2GB over a 4GB just to get that color. In then end though I have no idea, and am just making all this up off the top of my head. *L*