Why are there no good Shoutcast DJ / Streaming apps for Mac???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FragTek, Jul 16, 2006.

1. FragTek macrumors 6502

It's just dumbfounding considering the fact that Mac's are the industry choice for A/V related tasks. It seems that online radio DJ'ing would be a big thing for Mac.

Before switching to Mac 100% I used to run SAM Broadcaster from Spacial Audio. I think any online DJ would agree that SAM is the best online DJ streaming software ever made. It incorporates absolutely everything.

Why doesn't someone make a SAM "clone" for Mac? I'd pay out the arse for it. I'm huge in to online broadcasting and Nicecast just doesn't cut it, it's WEAK.

Plz plz plz plz let someone make a good online streaming program for Mac...

/end rant. :eek:

Edit: Out of rage I just sent Spacial Audio a development request to release SAM Broadcast for Mac OS X :p Let's see what they say, haha.

2. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahem... Quote from first post:
    Quictime Broadcaster again is weakness.

3. Skeeball236 macrumors regular

4. Natasha007 macrumors newbie

Nicecast woes

I have a serious question:

Am I going to have to switch my radio station to a PC to get out of that hobby realm?? Nicecast jams on a regular basis and I just can't seem to figure out why...

Someone please give it to me straight!

Natasha

5. Natasha007 macrumors newbie

6. Natasha007 macrumors newbie

Nice bits

No it freezes very randomly. That would have been too easy :)

My bit rate is 128 kbps and the radio is on line 24/7 except when it freezes and I'm not around to reboot it (remote desktop client can't help with that). I have my business at home so it's easy to keep tabs on it. But that darn thing freezes on Sunday when I'm out...

Why? The verdict is because I am pushing a G3 350 MHz to the limit. My only other option is my G3 400 MHz until I can afford a new mac.

The guys at Rogue Amoeba were very helpful, and yeah, the answer is get a better mac... or switch to a PC.

7. Natasha007 macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's what I'm trying to achieve :)

The beach isn't far from Amsterdam, but it's jammed packed and it's not France...

8. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

9. pgk2 macrumors newbie

Mac based solutions

Spacial Audio is nice for what it does but you can't run live remotes easily. For broadcast solutions available on the mac see the following Apple page:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/tools/broadcasting.html

Backbone and Megaseg offer much more programming capabilities. Both support MP4 formats.

10. PoetDemise macrumors newbie

MegaSeg looks great, but it doesnt look like it does streams. it looks like you need to run another app to do streaming for you.