Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I tried a few of the earliest smart phones when they first came out and they were pretty horrible to say the least. Ugly, difficult to use etc. When iPhone was announced, it just looked and sounded so awesome. I was an early adopter and found it very useable and not frustrating like the other smartphones I had tried. A big bonus was also having a built-in iPod! In those days, I was also carting around either an iPod classic or a nano. Having everything in one device, and the fact that I was already using a Mac, made operation simple and seamless. While I have never tried Android or Windows phones, the handsets and software just look horrible to me. I am a sucker for good product and software aesthetics. For the most part, Apple has good taste and I appreciate their attention to design details.

postpc

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Germany
I recently decided to go all in Apple and iTunes.
Why? Well, for the last two years I have constantly been debating eco systems Android vs Apple vs MS and by keeping my options as open as possible I had to resort to buying my music from Amazon or stream from Spotify, services which are available cross platform, but to keep that freedom I had to compromise a lot. Amazon cloud player doesn't have gapless playback, which is a show stopper for classical music lovers, and while Spotify's generally a great service, a lot of music I enjoy isn't available there. Also I was going to go all digital replacing my Blu rays with digital copies, and over here in Germany iTunes's simply the best choice, the new Apple TV then did the rest.

For me eco systems are huge, and while I'm thoroughly locked in now I have peace of mind and I can focus on content rather than platforms. Plus that one time I actually switched to Android I was back with Apple a few days later.

All that, plus every October I fire up YouTube and rewatch the original iPhone 2007 keynote to remember Steve. Call me a sucker, but while Apple's a different company now than four years ago, there's still some of Steve's spirit left in all those products, or thats what I like to think anyway.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Hi guys,

For university purposes, I am researching the reasons as to why Apple consumers are so loyal. As a technology enthusiast myself I am interested to see the driving force behind repeat purchasing of the iPhone models. Is it down to features, price, experience? I would love to get your opinion, for any reason why you continually purchase the iPhone.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Many Thanks,
Luke

I really like the ecosystem. It just works well together. I've been a loyal iPhone user since the first one and I admit I wouldn't mind trying something else, but I'm so invested in the Apple ecosystem that I don't want to start over. Plus I really enjoy Apple products. I like the design, packaging and ease of use.

It's definitely to the point now where the features have become much like an old pair of blue jeans. Most of us have a favorite pair and like those jeans I'm just comfortable with the OS. Maybe one day I'll venture out but truth is an iPhone does everything I need it to do as far as a mobile device goes. I'm a pretty basic user overall, nowhere near a power user, so it fulfills my needs quite nicely. I'll probably always be an iPhone user.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's not a matter of loyalty for me. I just find the highest quality apps available on iOS.

As far as an ecosystem, I couldn't care less, namely because I still see a very large disconnect between iOS and OS X. . Everything I need backs up to s cloud anyway since I also use android. The only ecosystem that could possibly win me (based on what's on the horizon) is Windows. Nothing else comes close (in practice) to what MS is offering (on paper). I'll have to see what sorts of strides they make. If they do what they promise they'll be the first platform(s) to truly integrate virtually all aspects seamlessly together.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
After using the iPhone for many years I switched to Android for 2 years and switched back to the iPhone almost a year ago now.

The only thing I miss about Android hardware options is the notification light.

My only real knock on the iPhone is the price. With passing time there are seriously solid options on the other side at much cheaper prices. Moto X Pure, G4, Nexus 6, etc.

However I appreciate the fact that I can go to my local Apple store if I have any issues. That's a much better experience (usually) than dealing with wireless sales reps who might tell me to go contact the OEM of my Android device.

I should also add that overall I feel iOS apps perform better than their Android equivalent. (Some are even better designed.) One example is that the Xfinity TV Remote app did not work consistently on a half dozen Android devices that I used but it's near perfect on the iPhone.

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
There's a significant cost to switching to another brand: to get an Android phone I was happy with, I'd need to spend a lot of time researching the many alternatives and evaluating their reviews. I'd need to spend time working out what software options and settings are worth the time of customising and which ones aren't. I'd need to set up the new phone and port across my contacts, email settings, and various other preferences. I'd need to research the best way to make my thousands of dollars worth of iTunes music available on my new phone - or else make the hard decision to abandon my collection and decide which streaming music service will best fill my needs. I'd need to spend time deciding which of my hundreds of dollars worth of paid apps and games I want to buy again for the new phone, and spend hours setting them up and setting their preferences. I'd need to copy all of the dozens or hundreds of passwords that I have saved in eWallet to a similar Android app, and find out whether I can still play the multiplayer games that I like with friends who still have iPhones, and if so, copy their details across. I'd need to convert and move the Pages documents that I have saved in iCloud. I'd need to move the thousands of photos that I have stored in iCloud. That's probably two weeks of my life that would have to go into it. I'd need to either be quite unhappy with my Apple products or extremely excited about a new rival product to make the investment.

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2015
Hi guys,

For university purposes, I am researching the reasons as to why Apple consumers are so loyal. As a technology enthusiast myself I am interested to see the driving force behind repeat purchasing of the iPhone models. Is it down to features, price, experience? I would love to get your opinion, for any reason why you continually purchase the iPhone.

Many Thanks,
Luke
1. I love everything iOS
2. iPhones are iPhones. Hence, they are not cheap which says a lot about you.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Hi guys,

Many Thanks,
Luke

*It's a Trap*

TheMacApple

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2015
Chicago
Only loyal till contract is up. May or may not do android again. Lot of hardware advances in 2 years. Time will tell

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I'm not loyal to a brand, I get what works best for me. It just so happens that what works best for me is my iPhone.
Dependability and ecosystem.
I know what to expect when i get a new iPhone. And I don't have to worry whether everything will work well with everything else. It just does.
I like the UI, the UX. The design. The smoothness. The insane battery life I get.

And Apple's STELLAR customer service. They stand behind their products.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The main reason is that their products just work as cliched as it sounds.

Other reasons:
I generally find the device in each category e.g tablet, phone, laptop etc to be superior to the competition

Integration between devices is unparalleled

Better App Store- quality and range

In the UK the availability of TV shows is better than on Google play

Excellent after sales service and general customer service compared to the competition- If I have a problem with any of my devices I can take it to an Apple Store. I don't even need to leave my house I can chat online with Apple employees. In the UK none of these options are available for any of the android devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.