Why Buy a Mac Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ttutsch, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ttutsch macrumors newbie

I was ready to get myself a shiny new 12" powerbook until this week's announcement of the switch to intel. I think it is the right decision in the long term, but why should anyone buy a mac from now until the transition is done? Please, I want to be convinced!! I want to own a mac, but it just isn't rational now.

Why wouldn't Apple have either cut the prices on PowerPC (instantly outdated) hardware or introduced some Intel-based devices immediately? This "transition" seems like it has included little or no consideration of current and potential customers. Why not?

In short, why make the "switch" and buy a new mac now?

2. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Cause of the OS... ;)
    Cause of Tiger
    Cause of Spotlight
    Cause of Dashboard

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Think of all the use you could get out of that new mac for the next 1-2 years. If you want to wait, its up to you. If you need convincing, then you've never used a current mac.

4. ttutsch thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll pay for the OS, but why should I pay a premium for the hardware? I'm not about to buy a computer at that price for only 1-2 years no matter how useful it is. I can buy a cheap PC and wait it out.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The only place the Powerbook is outdated is between your ears ;)

Seriously: Yes, there will be new models of Powerbook in the next 2 - 4 months based on G4s, and more new ones in 1 - 1.5 years based on sometning else. That has been true at all times: new machines come.

Apple has said your apps will run on the new system, and that your app developers have the tools now to build optimized X/x86 versions. Plus, *every single program you install on your Powerbook today will continue to run for the life of the machine.*

Macs tend to last about 8 years, laptops somewhat less than that (because batteries and LCD screens become too expensive to replace when they wear out). Windows machines less than that (because of OS bloat).

You don't say "Damn, Ford just showed a concept car with a hybrid engine, now I can't buy a new car until 2007".

If you need the Mac, buy the Mac. If you need a justification to decide not to, or to not decide, this is as convenient an argument to justify that as any other.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Because that's what it takes to run the OS???

This comment seems to me to be from the "I won't buy Mac unless I can run OS X.x on a clone I built myself" camp. Ain't gonna happen.

or how about "I want the V-12 engine but I'm not going to pay extra for all that Jaguar bodywork around it"?

7. ttutsch thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's the "I can't see myself paying a premium for hardware that is going to be discontinued" camp. I'm talking serious price cut needed!

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

What makes you think Macs will be cheaper when they come with Intel chips inside??

How does them switching to Intel make things any different? You could say that even if they were sticking with IBM. "Why should I buy a computer now when in 1-2 years there will be something faster?" It's unavoidable...just buy something and be happy with it. Jeez...like in 1-2 years, a dual 2.7ghz PowerMac G5 won't be fast anymore. :rolleyes:

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

That's a good question, I recently recommended to my soon-to-be mother in law that she look into buying a Mac for her next computer, now I'm telling her to wait till the Intel Macs come out. Following my own advice I'm going to hold off my next computer purchase for the same reason...

I'm in a slightly different situation, as I have Tiger now so I don't have constant windows headaches. I feel buying a Mac now means getting more hassle next year and beyond as PPC chips fade out, and if you can hold off I'd do so.

Honestly I still have a sense of dread when I think about all of this x86 business. I've got to believe that Apple will eventually sell the Mac OS to windows users on non-Mac machines. If not, then why did Apple make the switch? I guess I'm still confused... either way it's not a good state to make purchasing decisions.
    That's really poor analogy, people do engine swaps all the time my friend. :)

Raid

10. SRSound macrumors 6502

I'm actually in the exact same boat here. I just went through my second Dell in 1.5 Years and after my 200th hour with tech support, I gave up and decided it's time to switch (back) to Apple. Yes, I had the genius idea to switch to windows from my perfectly stable G3 running OS9. But now, with the switch, I don't know what to do. I need a new mobile (apple) computer for my recording company but I've always tried to stay with the latest and greatest machines. What's to happen next?

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, OK, how about this one then: "I really like the body but I don't want to pay for the personality that comes with it"? :eek: :D

'Course that never comes up in the real world.. ;)

12. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I agree with almost everythin you said, but that a Mac lasts 8 years...??? Those times are over since a while. You don't want to tell me that I could still be working seriously with my PowerMac 7500 that I bought in 1997? You are kidding, right? It doesn't even run MacOS 9 with it's original processor (PPC601, 100MHz(!!!)), only MacOS 8.6. Of course it still works... but the stuff running on it is just too old to be productive anymore. You don't even get a decent browser anymore to use the internet with it.

On 4 years I would agree with you, but only if you are not depending on being productive always with the newest software. Then I would say 1, maximum 2 years, depending on what you are doing with your gear.

The same applies to Laptops.

So when you are using your computers professionally, there is no difference between Mac and Win regarding the time they last you...

And also regarding private use... Why would a Windows machine not last 8 years??? I know people who are using PCs that are that old. There is no difference to Macs of that age.

The most important thing is, that the PPC processors will be supported still for many years to come, since the pro line will do the switch in late 2007. The day an iBook bought today will not be supported anymore by new software the iBook will not fire up anyway anymore or it will be to slow for current software anyway.

groovebuster

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I would just like to thank the people who I think are thinking about this rationally. For example, I've read many of CanadaRAM's posts and completely agree with everything he has written.

The transition of the hardware will take 2 years, approximately. It's not as if, at that point, all current computers are going to stop working. If you were going to buy a computer a week ago, the only thing you have lost by not ordering is that week of being able to enjoy your Mac. It'll be much, much longer than 2 years before today's computers begin to stop running the latest apps and OS.

I think you're only missing out on something great by waiting for something that is SUPPOSED TO BE greater.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Buy the Mac now then, If you are addicted to the latest and greatest, you'll be buying new every 1.5 years anyway, and the timing is perfect to get the ver. 1.1 of the OSX/x86 machine.

Why do some people hold onto the attitude that a new release makes their existing equipment somehow invalid, inoperable or unsupportable???

Whatever you buy today will do exactly what you bought it for indefinitely, and will be supported by Apple for years and years.

Will it run a theoretical new application designed for OSX/x86 in 2008 (even though the developer presumably has the tools for G4/5 binaries)? Perhaps not. But if you need that new program badly enough at that time, you are also making a machine upgrade decision too.

Don't make yourself crazy on it. If you need to use the Mac today, buy it today. If you are waiting to buy until Apple drops the hardware price by 50%, go back to Windows, because it is never going to happen.

There are price points ($500-700 budget home machine, $1K - 1.5K entry level desktop, 1.5K-2.5K laptop, 2K-3.5K professional workstation) which all computers are sold in. Apple will continue to meet the competitive market price and will always be on the premium side of the curve, as befits their status. Apple's prices will go down only as the general price points of the market do. More typically, they will add power at the same price point.

OSX/x86 does not change this at all. Apple will NOT be adding shoddy whitebox commodity grade desktops or laptops to the line, or licensing out OSX to budget manufacturers. Therefore: no drastic hardware price changes now or in the forseeable future.

15. DJC17 macrumors member

There are approximately 142,956.4 posts on the very subject right now on this website. Go take a look.

In short, buy the Mac if you want. PPC will be continued to be supported for several years after the end of the transition, which will take up to 2 years anyway. If you're like most other computer users you'll have replaced your PB by then anyway. I go through computers in an average of 2 years and 3 months. Hopefully the Mac will last for a little longer, but I dont expect any more than 3 years.

My first Mac will be a PPC G5, my second Mac will be an Intel based machine.

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

YOu just answered your question. go buy your peecee and wait it out with the usual virii, BSOD, and other myriad of windows issues. ;)

And if you do buy that Powerbook, i'll gladly take it from you when it becomes "useless" when the intelmacs come out.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You're right. The current oldest viable machine is the beige G3 (which is what I run my business on, that came out November 1997, so I guess 7 years is the outside.

Why wouldn't you use an old Windows machine for home?
    Since Win 98 is unsupported now, and is rife with security holes, and Windows NT is a pig on machines that dont have enough speed and memory...
    After the 4th time of rebuilding my daughter's Win box for rampant viruses and spyware I gave up and just gave her a Mini.

In reality, service shops are telling people with PII and PIII machines, and anything with a pre-ATX motherboard, that it is not worth fixing their machines, they should just buy new. The labour outweighs the new price.

18. ATRAX macrumors newbie

ATRAX

For me it's not just the OS that makes me love my Mac's. It's the engineering and design, the way they look and feel that makes me love them. Feels nothing like a PC.

How anyone could willingly choose Dell Plastics over a Mac looking at them both side by side is beyond me.

19. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Every piece of hardware will be discontinued eventually.

The only difference now is that you know when, nothing more than that. Usually, hardware is discontinued in a cycle of a few months, and you're bitching about knowing a date in nothing less than a year?

my .02

20. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Because you need one? or want one?

21. Griffindor73 macrumors member

Why buy a Mac now?

Simple:

I bought a new 20" iMac 2Ghz about a month or so ago.

It was to replace my old 400Mhz g3 Purple iMac that I had had for just over 5 years.

I replaced it because it was just coming to the stage where even the most basic programs where not going to run on it (even iTunes had got to the stage where it needed '400Mhz processor or better).

Intel chips will not be out for another 2 years or so.

Going on the theory that software will have to run on both PPC and Intel chips for about 4-5 years after this I think I will have at least 6 or 7 years of life left in my iMac- and I was only ever expecting it to last me for the next five years.

It is a fantasic computer- beautifully desgined and fast- and I haven't even upgraded the memory yet.

To say it is out of date now is simply stupid- and to say it will be out of date as soon as the intel chip Macs come out is also stupid- why would software manufacturers bring out programs that only run on intel machines? They would be loosing most of their customer base.

Yes- there will come a day that there will not be software made for PowerPC.

But my old mac has a PowerPC processor in it- and nobody makes new software for that anymore...

If you need a new mac- buy a new mac (although the 1.8 PowerMac is a total waste of money in my opinion) and enjoy it! Macs are never going to be that cheep- although it is interesting that my first mac cost £1100 and my new mac cost £1126 five years later...

22. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I was about to buy a 20" 2ghz iMac, currently using a 450mhz G4 Cube that's outlived it's usefulness with DV, iTunes, etc. Now I'm considering saving myself $400 and going with a 1.8ghz 20" iMac to hold me over for a couple years until an equivalent iMactel is available. What would you do, $1399 1.8ghz or $1799 2.0ghz? (yes, I know I'd need more RAM in the 1.8, but I can just throw 512mb in for $50).

23. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Why are people so concerned about a PPC Mac purchased now or even in 12 months time being "obselete" ? How many years will it take for Intel based Mac numbers to even match the number of PPC Macs - let alone significanty excede them? It would be suicidal of Apple if they did NOT fully support PPC for many years after the introduction of Intel chips.

I WAS worried about this when the news first broke - but now i've had a little time to digest what is going to happen, I have no hesitations about switching and getting my Mac soon. :)

24. SRSound macrumors 6502

...And if nothing else, you could think of it like this: Many audiophiles still prefer analog tube amplifiers and record players to any modern digital product when it comes to a perfect listening experience. Perhaps in a similar manner, the last generation of powerpc macs will be thought of as priceless computing experiences and will gain value with time among a crowd of analogous computer idealists.

Or am I dreaming?

25. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

do you know this transition will take two years? and that's just to change all hardware to intel, and also it's not clear whether the entire line will run on intel. right now we run motorola and ibm, what's to say apple doesnt keep selling g4's or g5's along with pentiums? and if they do that that then there must be software support.

i think instead of thinking that they don't have consideration for their customers it's the other way around...they will try to deliver the best chips for their computers, and try to do away with the supply problems they've had before.