Why buy an internal Hard Drive from Apple Online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by usasalazar, Dec 10, 2006.

1. usasalazar macrumors regular

usasalazar

Are there any benefits from buying a 750gb internal hard drive for the MacPro from the Apple on-line store?:confused:

Where is the best place to buy?

2. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Nope! You won't benefit anything from it but spend more money. Only reason I think buy it on there is they already install for you. You can try New Egg or at your local Computer store. Just make sure it use SATA interface.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Other than that they install if for you, there is no benefit. It's not even hard to install an HD, but some people don't know that.

4. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No benefit. You pay out the ass, too.

Try OWC/Macmall or Newegg.

6. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

no resaon to buy from apple. at all.

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

8. Canerican macrumors regular

RAM is crazy esy to install, and you can get better RAM for cheaper. (Not all RAM is created the, not at all).

9. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

Oh ok, will it void the warranty if I didnt buy RAM from Apple?....also can you do a 1gig x 2gig set up in the MacBook?

10. Canerican macrumors regular

No it doesn't void the warrenty... And what do you mean by 1GB x 2GB? Do you mean 1GB x 2? (=2GB)

11. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

I guess, i thought i read somwhere that you can get like 3gigs in a combo or something.

12. Canerican macrumors regular

Well in MBP you could get a 1GB + 2GB stick and that would be three. I think that would be very expensive (probably around $350 for a good brand like Corsair). 2GB of RAM is generally more than enough for a laptop.

Unless you are doing some hardcore gaming or animation I would doubt you would ever need more than 1GB, 2GB would make it a tad faster.

I have a gaming PC and I have 2GB of Kingston RAM, and it is plenty.

What do you use this computer for?

13. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

Well i have a PC right now, debating on whether to wait for Leopard or get a new MacBook now. I am mostly going to just do some schoolwork, iTunes, Chatting, and web surfing not heavy duty work, so I'm sure 1gig is enough, right?

14. Canerican macrumors regular

Definatly. And a Mac would be better for general surfing, WP programs, and music. 1GB of RAM is enough to run any but the most advanced programs.

15. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

don't ignore the one (and likely only) benefit of purchasing upgrades directly from apple when you purchase a machine - those parts (extra memory or hard drives) will be covered under AppleCare, which in some cases is a better and longer warranty than those offered when you purchase OEM parts. that, and most people don't have the know-how or simply don't want to bother with doing upgrades themselves.