Why buy from Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dougnewman, Mar 21, 2007.

1. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Does anyone know a really good reason to buy from Apple rather than another retailer?

I find that even with my edu discount, sales tax makes it a lot more expensive to buy from Apple than elsewhere.

For example, on the MacBook I'm about to buy, here is a comparision between buying from Apple or buying from Amazon and doing my own upgrades:

White 2.0GHz MacBook (edu): $1,199.00
    2 GB RAM: $157.00
    160 GB HD: $225.00
    Sales Tax 8.625%: $136.36
    Total: $1,717.36

White 2.0GHz MacBook: $1,299.95
    Rebate: -$75
    Sub-Total: $1,224.95
    Other World Computing
    Micron 2 GB RAM: $179.99
    RAM Rebate: -$44.00
    Hitachi 160 GB HD: $137.99
    HD Rebate: -$27.50
    Shipping: $2.95
    Sub-Total: $250.93
    Total: $1,475.88

Is there any reason I shouldn't upgrade my own RAM and HD and should buy from Apple instead? Warranty issues, etc.?
  2. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    You can save a few more dollars by buying it with your edu discount with no upgrades, then get more ram, larger hdd from another company.

The ram won't be a warranty issue, but I am not sure about the HDD...
  3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    Well what you are paying for is in part the fact that you wouldn't have to put in all the parts yourself... On the MacBook it's pretty simple but i'd say a large amount of people who buy upgraded computers from Apple would do it for the convenience reason and are willing to pay more for that factor.
  4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy from Amazon.com and upgrade the RAM/HDD yourself. That's what I did, and there's no effects on your warranty coverage at all. + you'll save a few bucks. :cool:
  5. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Not with sales tax. With sales tax, a base 2.0GHz white MacBook is $1,302 shipped to New York. Amazon doesn't charge sales tax to me as a NY resident so their $1,224 is $1,224. Apple's edu price is $24 lower than Amazon's regular price, but New York's 8.625% sales tax (heaven knows who chose the .625 part...) more than cancels out the difference.

I personally think we should price things the way they do in much of the rest of the world: with the tax included... But of course then just about every web store would have to ask you your ZIP code before showing prices.

That's exactly it. If I bought an MBP, I would have to buy from Apple as I would never upgrade my own hard drive in an MBP. In a MacBook, no problem.

Now, as for warranty issues. Obviously Apple won't warrant OWC's RAM and HD but that's OK as OWC will cover the RAM and Hitachi will cover the HD.

But I just read that in order to be eligible for AppleCare you have to have at least one stick of Apple RAM in the computer. Is this true? If I have a matched pair of Micron modules in my computer, and, say, my display breaks, AppleCare won't fix it because of the RAM?
  6. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    No special reason buy from Apple. I did the buy-from-amazon-and-upgrade thing on my last purchase.

I doubt it. Even if that's true, just keep the original stick. If something breaks, swap that stick back in so that you can prove that it's still broken even when in its "factory" configuration.
  7. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    I need to trade in the RAM to get the OWC RAM rebate. It's only $44 but hey, $44 is $44 :) .

I am going to look into this further. If using non-Apple RAM or HD could affect warranty coverage (beyond, of course, the warranty on the RAM or HD themselves), I might be inclined to buy from Apple. Otherwise I certainly wouldn't.
  8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Apple can't legally void the warranty on the rest of the machine if you upgrade parts of it. They don't have to cover the new parts, of course, and damage done during the installation or as a direct result of the use of the upgrades aren't covered, but the law is firmly on your side as far as getting, for example, a bad CPU or LCD replaced under warranty if you upgrade your RAM and HDD.

These laws were all formed back when car manufacturers would try to void your entire warranty if you didn't use their brands of oil, brake pads, belts, etc.
  9. Gaelic1 macrumors member

Sep 16, 2006
    Mountains of No. California
    I buy, online, from Macconnection.com. My white Mac Book was $1449 with 2 GB ram installed. That's with a $75 rebate. NO tax and NO shipping. I have purchased Mac computers from them on 5 occasions with no problems.:D
  10. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
  11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    where did you read that? That's not been true in the past. I had a G4 with only 3rd party RAM and the CD drive went bad. Apple fixed it.

It is however true that Applecare techs are quick to assume that bad 3rd party RAM is the cause of whatever ails your computer. That can lead to annoying delays in solving the problem as you go through the process of resolving their doubts about the RAM you installed.....saving your original RAM can a time saver
  12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire

I would second the MacConnection purchase if you are buying not from Apple. MAc Connnection is a local company here in SW New Hampshire. PC/Mac Connection started in Marlow NH just one town north of me and I kind of know the CEO and founder of the company. Actually my wife knows her better, I have just met her on a couple of occasions.

I live in NH so no sales tax so I buy directly from Apple, but would use Mac (PC) Connection if I had sales tax to deal with.
  13. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    That's what I thought - it has got to be illegal.

Ah, but MacConnection charges NY sales tax!

It was on the MacRumors wiki. I came across it by accident and got rather scared!

I looked at the AppleCare terms and conditions and it says nothing about upgrades, so I'm not going to worry about it.
  14. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    The difference is much less once you remember the tell the IRS about the sales tax in your next tax statement.
  15. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    And sometimes they are right, of course.
  16. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Actually, I need the computer for my job, so I can deduct the whole thing anyway.

But you do bring up an interesting point.