Why buy this eMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Nov 9, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok on Apple site they have an eMac for $529, very good price, but.. read the specs. No modem and no cdrom, I can see the no modem, but what good is it with no cdrom honestly? I mean I can see if its for like a library, but other than that, its not good for the home user. http://www.apple.com just go to their special deals section.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

those were sold to educational institutions -> no modem needed since they will all use ethernet and they didn't want people burning CDs. it's also the reason it's so cheap.

you can buy it and swap out the CD-ROM drive with a combo drive.

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

He said NO CD-ROM, which means not even a CD-ROM. Luckily, even on the educational models, there is still a bay for an optical drive. You just need to put it in yourself.

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, I dunno how to put in a CDROM for an Emac, so thats worthless to me. I have CDs I like to listen too and work on video projects and that.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

my bad. but as you said, the bay is still there, so you could probably put one in.

6. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

7. vga4life macrumors 6502

It's clearly not fit for your use.

Now, for a tech-savvy user, it could be a great deal.

Crack it open, replace the hard drive with a fast and cheap 7200 RPM/8MB cache drive, put a cheap DVD burner in the optical bay, toss in another stick of RAM, pop off a surface-mount resistor to overclock to 1.58GHz, and you've got a wicked fast mac for $800. Run the monitor spanning hack and it's dual-head capable!

Easily the best bang-for-the-buck, if you're willing and able to put in the minimal amount of work.

-vga4life

8. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

this thread here has information on making emacs into very powerful computers for very little price.

as for not wanting to open it to put in an optical drive, i don't blame you, but you might want to check out an external optical drive, there are plenty of expansion ports on modern macs- firewire 400, and usb 2.0 in this case.

good luck,

my first mac was an eMac, and i hold it dear to my heart :)

Varun.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For some one like myself with a PB that is used for the "office" and wanting/needing a desktop for the "home/office", the CD-ROM is not much of an issue. For I would use such a eMac as a primary and the PB as the 'target disk".

THough I count myself lucky that I got an eMac (1.25ghz, 768mb RAM, swivel stand, and 160mb HDD - thanks James) for under $800. Not a bad deal IMO, given that I bought from him in July.

10. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I think it's a good deal! You could always buy an external drive.

11. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Why even bother? Installing an internal optical drive for the eMac is very easy. Its the hard drive which is a b*tch to get to.