Why buying an iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by coldspot, Oct 23, 2004.

1. coldspot macrumors member

Apr 15, 2004
    Florianópolis, Brazil
    Hello guys.

Actually I'm thinking about buying a new iBook. But I have some questions for you:

1 - What can I do in a Mac, that I can't do in a PC?
    2 - Should I wait for Tiger?

Thanks ;)
  2. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    In my opinion (I converted from Windows to Mac this year) ...

1). Nothing. But Macs are so much easier to use and in my experience that ease of use allows me to accomplish more in less time; conversely some high end PCs are better with games; then again Mac OS-X is virus-free. So if you want an easier life and don't want to wrestle with the operating system then get a Mac. If you are very familiar with Windows AND don't mind that Windows is unstable and prone to viruses AND you want to play the latest high-end games then get a PC.

There are plenty of threads in the archives giving both sides of that discussion.

2). In my opinion, no.
  3. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Eugene, OR

you can eliminate an application by dragging it to the trash :p
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....as for your second question, Tiger is set for release sometime in the "first half of 2005" according to Apple - that means as late as next June. Buy your iBook now and worry about Tiger later....oh yeah!
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    1. Use the internet without worrying about spyware, viruses and all sorts of other crap out there.

2. No. It'll run just fine now... If you want to wait for new models, then perhaps... but waiting purely for an OS is not worth it.
  6. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    you can browse the internet, check your email, download programmes all without worrying about being hacked, recieving virii, passing on those virii, having every move you make being recorded and being sent to someone.

also the os is just nice to use. as everyone says, "it just works"

you could do but its probably better to get one now as the ibooks are new and get used to the joys of os . if then you feel it necessary to upgrade to tiger it wont cost so much but the decision should be made on whether it offers you something that you really need that panther doesnt have or just if you want to be as up to date as possible! :D
  7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    Some other things that Mac's do better than PC's

1. Close the lid and the iBook will sleep, when you open, restart is almost instant, while PC's can do this as well, restart takes longer and is not so reliable than sleeping a Mac.

2. Mac has Expose as standard, a way to instantly see all you open applications and documents on the screen.

3. iBooks have DV (firewire) for DV camcorder capture and editing as standard, only some PC notebooks have this facility.

4. ILife applications, and integrated set of Applications that cover Music, Photos, Movie editing and DVD creation( iDVD only comes with SuperDrive iBooks). Similar functionality can be found in PC land, but not to the same level of ease of use and integration.

5. Fast user switching for multiple users sharing the same computer.