Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Why can’t we use the “fn” Option key to set keyboard shortcuts in system preferences? I mean that should be a key we should be able to use.

Ironically, when you’re in the system preferences and go under “Mission Control” you can set the “fn” key for several things. When you’re in “Keyboard”, however, you can’t set the “fn” key (for the exact same things).

It doesn’t make any sense!

Nov 28, 2010
located
The "fn" key is a function key in order to use additional functions with Mac OS X centric keyboards. It cannot be used as just one key, it always needs to be in combination with another key.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
The "fn" key is a function key in order to use additional functions with Mac OS X centric keyboards. It cannot be used as just one key, it always needs to be in combination with another key.

It doesn’t work in combination with other keys either ;) It can’t be used at all it seems.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It doesn’t work in combination with other keys either ;) It can’t be used at all it seems.

It can be used with the F1 to F12 or F15 or even F19 keys, depending on your keyboard size and layout.

Many applications support the use of F1 to Fx keys, one just has to enable it in System Preferences > Keyboard > Use F1, F2, etc keys for .... .
You can also use a little app called Palua from the Mac App Store (MAS) to let applications decide automatically if you want to use the F1, etc keys with its printed functions or with specified functions (inside the application).

I do so, as I hardly use the printed tasks on them and rather use the F1, etc keys for additional functions.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
It can be used with the F1 to F12 or F15 or even F19 keys, depending on your keyboard size and layout.

Many applications support the use of F1 to Fx keys, one just has to enable it in System Preferences > Keyboard > Use F1, F2, etc keys for .... .
You can also use a little app called Palua from the Mac App Store (MAS) to let applications decide automatically if you want to use the F1, etc keys with its printed functions or with specified functions (inside the application).

I do so, as I hardly use the printed tasks on them and rather use the F1, etc keys for additional functions.

Yeah you’re right, the fn key does work together with Fx keys (for keyboard shortcuts), in that case you wouldn’t need to check the box you mentioned :) Just weird that it won’t work with normal keys…

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yeah you’re right, the fn key does work together with Fx keys (for keyboard shortcuts), in that case you wouldn’t need to check the box you mentioned :) Just weird that it won’t work with normal keys…

It is not meant for that. Just like the Fn or fn key on Windows based notebooks, which also only works with additional functions like brightness and volume shown normally as blue symbols on those reversed keyboards.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
It is not meant for that. Just like the Fn or fn key on Windows based notebooks, which also only works with additional functions like brightness and volume shown normally as blue symbols on those reversed keyboards.

That probably explains it then :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.