WHY can you only reset the rigional code 5 times?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by angro86, Mar 5, 2006.

1. angro86 macrumors newbie

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

CoMpX – I think I'm right in saying that angro86 is referring to Apple's DVD drives, which can only switch regions five times before they become locked. Basically, it allows the film studios to control their releases (including things like content, date of release and price) on a region-by-region basis. Otherwise, there would be no way to stop people buying DVDs abroad, either to save money or to get their hands on a title that hasn't been released in their home country.

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Thanks for the clarification.

5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Soo... shouldn't there be a (likely illegal) software workaround?
    Gosh, I hope the motion picture industry doesn't become as greedy as the RIAA.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yep, use VLC, doesn't check region coding

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

haha too late they already have.

I personally think the funniest they do is those anti-piracy notices at the beginning of movies...in theaters and official DVD releases.

Like "Ok, let make some anti-piracy ads, then we'll show them to people who have already given us money to see the movie! it's genius!"

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are firmware workarounds for most drives so that you don't have to be stuck with VLC. Manufacturers aren't allowed to support flashed drives because of their license agreements, so you are on your own if you decide to flash.
    For the most part, they are the same companies.

9. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Its insane what greed will do to people. As if they are not already making multi digit profit on movies and records. :mad:
    (P.S. I am able to live in my house and eat good food and have a Mac because of the RIAA, and they still make me mad)

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Which is particularly funny - as anyone ripping the DVD or filming in a theatre (it happens!) will likely strip the warning off later. The only people likely to see those warnings are saps like me who go out and buy the DVD and have to wait twiddling my thumbs for the movie to start because the Menu button won't work.

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

BUT, as I unhappily discovered, if you're dumb enough to use up your 5 times (like I was), VLC will only play discs in the region to which you are locked.

Bummer. :( And as of today, there's no firmware flash for my optical drive.

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what's REALLY funny is when people release them on the internet with the anti-piracy warnings LEFT IN :D

13. howesey macrumors 6502a

Using VLC will not allow you to use different region discs. The region is locked by firmware on the DVD ROM drive, and the drive actually locks itself.

It's not just Apple who does this, all DVD ROM drives for any computer have to do this.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is not entirely true. It depends on the generation of firmware in the DVD drive. The earlier generation allowed direct hardware reads of the disc to bypass the region check. The newer generation disabled this. See the details at VLC's website:

http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/index.html#id278373

I'm not sure which Mac drives use RPC1 and which use RPC2.... I'm pretty sure this works on my iBook G4 Rev. A. I haven't tried anything like this on my iMac G5 Rev. B....

I know that MacTheRipper also used to be able to defeat region encoding. But it seems that it also doesn't work on RPC2 drives that prevent direct reads before region checking.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

VLC seems to work fine on all combo drives, and early superdrives. Newer superdrives can cause headaches though...

I can't get VLC to work on my intel mac at all yet...

16. Kimi macrumors regular

17. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

This is true. I recently had to change the region on my PB super to UK because inspite of having VLC, the drive was still locking up wouldnt play UK DVDs. I upgraded my VLC and as soon as that didnt work, I just went ahead and changed the region on the damn thing. Couldnt be bothered to spend any more time searching for a workaround.

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You should be able to get an Apple store to reset it. As far as I recall, you are allowed five hardware resets, but from this website, Apple are more restrictive than they have to be.

But you could try it and see what the Apple store says.

Edit: actually I just reread that article (initially I was going on memory), and there's a hardware restriction built in that prevents it being reset, so the Apple store couldn't change it even if they wanted to. Sorry.

19. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If your drive is locked, MTR will only let you rip DVDs that your drive can play.

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, that's my experience anyway.

Can't believe I was so stupid - I was happily using VLC to watch absolutely everything, then I carelessly used DVD player one too many times, and the damage was done...sigh...

*goes off sadly to look at her no-longer-playable DVDs*

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have a pal who locked his (on the PC side) because a mutual friend who made his own DVD menus managed to burn them all as Region 1 when, of course, the UK is region 2.

It really is a stupid rule to apply to computers these days when the majority of stand-alone DVD players are multi-region or can be 'hacked' with a remote control press. And it's easier to buy a pirate movie on a local region disc in your own country than order an overseas one

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, this is really something to consider if you need multiple regions. You can pick an off-the-shelf DVD drive based on what has region-free firmware available and is easy to flash on a Mac (Pioneer drives, for example, tend to work out well). Best, there is no worry about voiding the computer's warranty.

23. parranormal macrumors newbie

Use a program called AnyDvd by Slysoft, it'll take the region code out of the dvd and let you play it back (without ripping it to your hard drive)

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Excellent program, but it's pc only :rolleyes:

25. parranormal macrumors newbie

oh right, i thought there was an open source mac version out there though. Maybe it was just a rumor:(
    (I dual boot and i only run AnyDvd and some other programs on windows)