Why can't Apple have a subnotebook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by princealfie, Dec 22, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I am so puzzled that Apple hasn't gotten a notebook computer < 4.5 lbs. After all, Sony and Toshiba and even LG have managed to do it.

I use the notebook for basic photo editing and writing my books. I need lighter!

http://www.dynamism.com has some very beautiful examples. ...

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why? Because they hate you. And they hate me too. :(

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

500 grams?

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I think Apple was plenty busy switching architecture and all new Hardware in one year. 2006 that is.

..if you want an ultra portable so bad get that toshiba or sony one....the only problem with that is that you have to cope with M$FT.

Maybe 2007 will bring us an ultra portable.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Add me to the list of people who'd like to see a machine that weighs less (or at least the same as) than the 12" PB. This is one area where the MacBook leaves me cold compared to my 14" iBook. The other is battery life.

B

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Dynamism imports from overseas and make the units somewhat compatible with USA usage; so, their pricing includes those extra services and costs. I think you should be able to buy those models in Japan at lower costs; but, some people don't want to go through the tedious process of changing it to USA or English version.

I hope Apple will put its act together to come up with sub-notebook (less than 3 lbs with at least 6 hours of battery life). I think there is a market for sub-notebook and I would buy one for sure.

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

True. I should read all of their policy, etc but over $520 for a Blackberry Pearl?

11. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Well, that isn't really too scary of a price for the Pearl... Imagine, it's a lot like a PDA. When my PDA first came out, it cost almost 300.00, now it's down to 100.00. The prices are xpensive, but still somewhat competetive in a strange wack way.

But that 0Q + or whatever it is, that has the slide up screen with the keyboard on the bottom half, packed with 512 ram, 3D graphics, and a 30gig hard drive is something I would want. But at 1030.00 a pop. not anywhere near me, then again, that is about how much I paid for my Macbook, maybe I'm gonna get a new computer when this price goes down.... naw!

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'd guess so. I was able to get mine brand new for $150 and unlocked it myself. Even purchasing the Pearl through T-Mobile without any rebates, etc would be $349.99

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Need? Or want? Think about that for a second. Just relax and dont get to ahead of yourself. Computers will soon have cell processors, transparent screens with touch screen technology, and be made of ceramic materials. Also all cables and cords will be fiber optic. We attained all of these technologys by studying the space craft wreckage from Roswell. The truth is out there. ;) ::whistling::

14. techster85 macrumors regular

I'm glad someone else made that joke too...

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i want super ultra portable, as in a cell phone/internet ready phone with mini keyboard and cool 3" inch lcd, and one with standard numeric pad and similar to a moto razor

but we all now know that it won't be called an iPhone since Cisco owns that name with a product/service

16. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

I want portability(physical size and battery life) over most everything else. I know alot of other people who do too.
    I am sure Apple will jump on the market when it all settles down, it is still pretty crazy ATM.

17. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Apple has patented "iMobile", or so I heard... http://iphoneinsider.blogspot.com/2006/12/apple-changes-iphone-name-to-imobile.html
    But from further research it's not true http://www.applegazette.com/iphone/apples-phone-will-not-be-called-imobile/

My guess is iPod Mobile or something. From what I read it is going to be a iPod first and a mobile phone second so I think that would be sensible.

18. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

US and Japan both uses 110V, so there is very little to change over :)

All they probably have to do is to change the language on the version of Windows XP preinstalled.

19. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

500g is a lot :rolleyes:

When I buy a pack of cookies it is only 250g, and that's a big pack of cookies (as opposed to 125g packs!)

20. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

lol, don't talk to me about packaging sizes. I work nightfill and everything that is in a larger size is called "Value pack" or "Jumbo Pack"... I don't know why it annoys me but it does :p

21. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Macbook 12" -> Macbook Single serve
    Macbook -> Macbook Value
    Macbook Pro 15" -> Macbook Family
    Macbook Pro 17" -> Macbook Jumbo

22. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But with the heat the Intel Core architecture produces, don't put the Funsize on your Funspot, or your kernel will panic. :eek:

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

for a manufacturer whose product is only 5% market share, too many branches won't be wise, as far as business concerns.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple's overall market share is low, true, but when you consider the number of units of a given Apple notebook that get sold in comparison to the number of units of any given Windows notebook, I think they're still quite high, because Apple has so few models and a relatively healthy notebook marketshare.

Well, anyway, I hope they can manage to squeeze in one more branch. :D