Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Are they just trying to be annoying and lame on purpose?

A major OS has no release date other than July, except I guarantee that Apple already knows when they plan on releasing and have known for a while now, and they refuse to publicly reveal it

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Remember the public outcry when the first beta of IOS 6 was released after the developer conference.

Apple probably hold back on announcing the release date too early to ensure they have nailed it and all the bugs they know of are stamped out.

Last thing they want is mass disappointment as that reflects in their stocks and shares.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
I can't imagine why knowing a date will really make any difference to me
I will just pick it up when it comes out
Because I am currently away from home working, I plan on going home but would like to schedule it so I can also install ml while I am at home. I have software and stuff at home that I need to get (I'm doing a clean install). It's annoying when you can't even plan around it. I also need to buy bus tix

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
You can easily plan around it once it gets released. Seems like your just impatient to wait for it. Apples not going to work around your schedule.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
When lion's availability was announced it was one day before it was actually sold - and it was announced during their conference call. Apple isn't going to do anything until then at the very least - and thats next week.

They will announce it when they are good and ready - right before it sells.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given that's its electronic only, I don't see this being a problem. Just upgrade/download when its available. Its no like you need to wait in line to buy a copy

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Cuz we need to know. If its going to be july 2012 I can wait. But if it july 3012 I'm not wasting my breath. So its good to know.

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I can't imagine why knowing a date will really make any difference to me
I will just pick it up when it comes out

Oh so people shouldn't worry about the date OS X comes out but everyone is going ape **** about what the next iPhone will be called. Can't they just say "We'll just see what it's called when it comes out"?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Oh so people shouldn't worry about the date OS X comes out but everyone is going ape **** about what the next iPhone will be called. Can't they just say "We'll just see what it's called when it comes out"?

Yep, that's what I'm gonna do
I don't care what they call it myself

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
If people knew the exact day it was going to be released, a lot of people would delay the purchase of their new mac. Not to mention, Lion sales would grind to a halt.

duh.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yep, that's what I'm gonna do
I don't care what they call it myself

I agree. I'm not even getting the iPhone ( insert new name ).

Mountain Lion's release date announcement will be June 24th by Tim Cook during the quarterly earnings call. He will say it is available in the Mac App Store the next day.

That would be after 1AM June 25th. Cupertino time.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Because I am currently away from home working, I plan on going home but would like to schedule it so I can also install ml while I am at home. I have software and stuff at home that I need to get (I'm doing a clean install). It's annoying when you can't even plan around it. I also need to buy bus tix
And if you miss this one window of opportunity you wont ever be able to install ML?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Why should Apple tell you a date in advance? That way a delay would create confusion, if something goes wrong with anything.

I think that everyone is freaking out or going ape about too many not so important things. I mean, come on, wouldn't it be better if no one know anything about when the new OS ML is coming out? Or what the new iPhone
will be called? Who gives a ****?! I know that I don't and most Mac OS users
feel the same as I do even if they won't admit to it. Most people enjoy being
surprised,right? Well, either way, lets all start to act more real because the old
Blessed Apple has been under a different mind set since the beloved Steve Jobs
passed away. I'm hoping that the newer brain will take the Apple by the core
and do things different, instead of just Think different.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple is no different than any other manufacturer. They have their own policies and procedures that they follow exactly.

They do things the way they feel are in the best interest of the company, to maintain a competitive edge and to position themselves for success.

It's not as though something has changed. Apple has always operated this way.

Present day performance metrics prove that Apple has the right combination for tremendous success.

Get into acceptance and you won't be stressed.

Patience will serve you well.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
They probably just want to keep their options open as much as possible. The cost of specifying a date and getting it wrong (ebarassment, public anger, losing customer trust) outweighs the benefit of setting a date and getting it right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.