Why can't I close my MBP and just (only) use my ACD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnbro23, Oct 26, 2006.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to use my 23" Apple Cinema Display without the MacBook Pro open. When I close my MBP, the computer goes to sleep, thus, displaying nothing on the ACD. Any way to change this?

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Close the lid, let it go to sleep, then wake it up by pressing a key on an external keyboard. Should work.

3. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Apple do not allow a computer (controlled by PMU) to stay on when the lid is closed as it causes the laptops to over heat. You will damage your laptop having it closed.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Not true. Apple fully supports lid-closed operation when the laptop is connected to an external display and mouse/keyboard (wired or wireless).

5. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Yes, at least they used to support that on the PowerBooks but not on the iBooks if I remember correctly.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yes, you're right. However, it's now supported on both the MacBooks and MacBook Pros, and the feature is mentioned by name on both machines' specs pages.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think that you're required to have a power supply hooked up to your MBP in addition to the external keyboard or mouse before it works in clamshell mode.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This is true, unless they changed something since the G4 PowerBook. My PowerBook will only run my 23" ADC when it has a power source.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yup.

10. angelp macrumors newbie

I just close the lid and unplug and then plug back in the power adaptor and move my mouse and it automatically shows up on the monitor.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

This only applied to iBooks. Both Macbooks and Macbook Pros can run just fine in clamshell mode with either an attached external mouse or keyboard (one of them has to be wired for it to work).

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

With my PB is usually put it to sleep manually (from the Apple Menu), press a key on the keyboard, then quickly close the lid. This will cause the PowerBook not to use the built-in display. Once I've done that, I can open the lid back up so I don't have heat issues. The built-in display won't turn on until you either press F7 or unplug the external monitor. With this setup you don't need an extra keyboard or mouse.