Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dallious

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Just use icloud, drop pictures in photo stream and they will be on your iphone or computers

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
A flashcard would be more simple... but many files I need to transfer are pictures. many of which I take with my phone and need to be able to plug into people computer and transfer to their files.

Pictures you take on your phone you can just email to the the person from the phone and never have to bother walking over to their computer.

Dropbox app on the iPhone should also let you upload pictures to your Dropbox cloud storage, which any of the computers can easily access. Again, without you having to physically go to the computer.

Or as Dallious says, with iCloud and photo stream (included) any photos will automatically show up on your computer and no need to sync.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Sending 10-20 pics through email has never worked very well for me... they are too large to send via email.

You guys listed a couple programs to download... which one would you say is the best for being able to actually plug my Iphone into any computer with the USB and transfer files back and forth? Anything else that has to be done other then plugging in my ohone and transfering?

How exactly do these programs work? Do you have to do something special or something?

There seem to be so many options I am not sure what is the best for my application for ease and simplicity.

I am not sure how Icloud works? What is this supposed to do?? I am so lost here... :(

Thanks for the options!

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Sending 10-20 pics through email has never worked very well for me... they are too large to send via email.

You guys listed a couple programs to download... which one would you say is the best for being able to actually plug my Iphone into any computer with the USB and transfer files back and forth? Anything else that has to be done other then plugging in my ohone and transfering?

How exactly do these programs work? Do you have to do something special or something?

Thanks for the options!

None of them work over USB, as Apple doesn't allow that. (At least, not without having to use iTunes on the host computer). They mainly work over WiFi. You open the app, then load up a web page it will tell you on the screen. It's usually something like http://192.168.1.8:8080/. Then there will be an "Upload" button, and you select the photos to send to the phone. At least, that's how AirDisk works.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I see here that people "jailbreak" will tis make the Iphone transfer files?

Sorry about all the questions... I just need this figured out before tomorrow or I will need to go get a different phone...

So Airdisk will only use WIFI? I have never used WIFI before and I am not sure if everyone elses computer has WIFI or not.... :(

Thanks!

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I was going to buy an IMAC, but now I am nervous about this file transfer thing. Every computer I connect to is usually a standard PC.

I assume Iphoto only works on your home pc? Mac only?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I see here that people "jailbreak" will tis make the Iphone transfer files?

Sorry about all the questions... I just need this figured out before tomorrow or I will need to go get a different phone...

So Airdisk will only use WIFI? I have never used WIFI before and I am not sure if everyone elses computer has WIFI or not.... :(

Thanks!

If the computers were made in the last five to ten years, chances are they have WiFi. If not, you can use iTunes to transfer the photos, or iCloud, but those two require a download on the computer.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Use Dropbox. All you need is an internet connection when you have it up and running, which you most likely have all the time. Wi-Fi is not required.

Just install Dropbox on the iPhone and set up an account right through the app. Download dropbox on the computer you want to transfer your pictures to and sign in. Dropbox creates a special folder on your computer which acts like a regular folder, but when you add files to it, they are almost immediately available on all of your devices. The same goes with the iPhone, when you add your pictures to drop box they're automatically available in this folder.

Trust me, it works great. :)

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Yeah, that wont work... I cant be downloading programs onto everyones computer. Lol... That would take forever!

Seems to be alot of programs out ther for this intention, but I have no idea if they work, how they work, or which one would be the best for what I need to do...:confused:

So does dropbox have to be loaded onto each and every pc?

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
If you are transferring pictures taken with your phone, use Dropbox (do some research on it).

If you are transferring pictures from one computer to another computer, for the sake of simplicity (and us as well), just use a flash drive for crying out loud.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
To be honest I have no clue what any of this is.... I am just a busy buisness owner that simply needs to be able to transfer files alot between many different computers. I use my phone for this and up to now with my standard phones this has been a simple easy task.

Everyone told me to get an iphone cause its a great phone.... but it seems what I use my phone the most for is not able to be done efficiently.

I guess I will have to call sprint and see if I can trade it in for something different if this does not work out to be simple. :(

itunes to sync photos in photos tab how is that hard?

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
If you are transferring pictures taken with your phone, use Dropbox (do some research on it).

If you are transferring pictures from one computer to another computer, for the sake of simplicity (and us as well), just use a flash drive for crying out loud.

Listen to this guy.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
itunes to sync photos in photos tab how is that hard?

But does itunes have to be on every computer I load to? or just my phone?

I take pics with my phone for buisness and then have to load them on clients computers...

----------

Anyone tried IFILE?? I jsut saw this on a search and its supposed to be good for what I need maybe?

Will Jailbreaking do anything for me?

Sorry about all the questions... I had no idea I would run into this rediculous problem at the last minute. Lol

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
But does itunes have to be on every computer I load to? or just my phone?

I take pics with my phone for buisness and then have to load them on clients computers...

----------

Anyone tried IFILE?? I jsut saw this on a search and its supposed to be good for what I need maybe?

Will Jailbreaking do anything for me?

Sorry about all the questions... I had no idea I would run into this rediculous problem at the last minute. Lol

needs to be on all comps on iOS 5 it is wireless but if your friend has photos on a comp that you want you could use photo stream with iCloud sorry for my rude post back

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
You should stay away from jailbreaking. Sure it's simple, but if you don't know what you're doing then you can mess up your phone. Especially messing with the file system using iFile.

Again, look up Dropbox. You can take the photos with your phone, upload them to Dropbox via the app from the app store and organize them (for example you can create a new folder for each client or whatever would suit your needs best). From here you can either share the folder with your client via email or just log in to your dropbox account from the client's computer and download them straight to their hard drive.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Look buddy, the iPhone doesn't have any good way of doing this (connecting to a computer to transfer files without needing any 3rd party program on either the computer or the phone).

The best options are apps from the app store which are clumsy work-arounds at best. Take Dropbox - you have to create a Dropbox folder on the computer, copy to the files to it, then download them from the internet with the Dropbox app on the phone. With others, you have to run the iPhone app which basically turns it into a web server. You have to use the browser on the desktop to navigate to a cryptic IP address (your phones address over a local network) and upload the files using a web form.

None of these options will make these pictures appear in the photos app.

The bottom line is the iPhone is absolutely atrocious with file management.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

There seem to be so many options I am not sure what is the best for my application for ease and simplicity.

I am not sure how Icloud works? What is this supposed to do?? I am so lost here... :(

Thanks for the options!

Do some damn research for yourself. Lots of stuff have been mentioned, now it's time for you to do some research on your own to see if it's gonna work for you.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Use Dropbox. You set up a Dropbox account on your iPhone (it's an app; you download it from the App Store on your phone). Once you've taken your photos, open the Dropbox app on your phone, click Uploads, then click the plus button. Choose the photos that you want to upload, which Dropbox folder you want to put them in, etc. Then when you're at the computer you need to transfer them to, go to http://www.dropbox.com, log in, and you'll see the photos. Choose the ones you want, click download. They're downloaded to the computer, and you're done.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but they're all very simple. Give it a try...it sounds like it will be the best option for you.

Cgm27006

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Had to chime in

I have to chime in. The suggestions you have gotten aren't bad, but, since it sounds like you need to transfer photos from one pc to another and the computers are often different ones, just get a flash drive. They are $10-$15 and it works just like you are used to with copying and pasting. The iPhone is fantastic but using any phone as a USB flash drive is cumbersome and inefficient. They weren't designed for it.

Dropbox, iPhoto, photo stream, etc. aren't bad, but they are not a good fit for what you are doing.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
It's no problem copying your images from your iphone to any computer, but if you want to copy files back, jailbreak it or use a usb stick. dropbox is a pain in the ass when you use different computers that don't have dropbox is installed, upload/download just takes too much time. And I also think that it sucks that you can't use your iphone as a flashdrive, it worked with the iPod video back then, then they just stopped making it work...screw you apple in this case.

Last edited:

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
Sounds like a USB stick is the OP's best option, they are small enough these days you won't notice it, and just hang it off your keyring.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Hahaha... I don't know why the hard responses. The poor guy readily admits he doesn't know...

You want to treat your iPhone just like a USB flash drive. Unfortunately, you can't do that. You will need external software.

I'm pretty sure you can do what you want if your phone is jailbroken. I haven't jailbroken my phone in a long time though. Proceed at your own risk.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Do some damn research for yourself. Lots of stuff have been mentioned, now it's time for you to do some research on your own to see if it's gonna work for you.

Its amazing how quickly "It just works" changes into "learn how to do it yourself"

Reactions: macfacts

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Pastebot is cheap, and lets you copy/paste most things on the computer to the phone and from the phone to the computer. It's what you're looking for.

If this is NOT what you are looking for, return the phone.

+1 for Pastebot.
Very helpful and no bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.